Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why a glock?

I am a Forum User

Glock who?

Quote Originally Posted by eflint49
    I finally had the chance to shoot a glock yesterday, and I must say, I felt terribly let down. The Glock 22 looked like an over-sized plastic toy gun. It was ugly and felt very cheap. I was expecting to hear angels sing and have Jesus himself show up to pat me on the back as I aimed down the sights.

Overall, it felt like I was shooting an ugly toy version of my old S&W Sigma .40 (yet the Sigma's seem to have such a bad wrap).

So now I have to ask... why a glock? What makes them worthy of all the praise they receive? Am I not shooting the right one?
    A friend of mine swears by glock and rightly so, glock is a well made firearm. IMO they have been around for so long that the novelty has worn off. The Gen 4 is interesting but those changes are all cosmetic. My said friend used other means at his disposal and gave his glock the RTF treatment years ago. I always counter his glock worship with a quip about getting glocks 4 for $1 like some type of fast food deal. Exempting the sigma (Yikes!) there are some very good alternatives XDM and M&P series come to mind. I own the latter and find it very sexy especially adorned with the crimson trace grip. Althought if the XDM had come out before i bought, I would be saying the same about that.

I am a Forum User
    A Glock is like a ugly Girl thats so good in bed you cant stop dating her.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JWWIII
    Replace Glock with S&W M&P in all the above, applies to it as well but the M&P is much prettier than the Glock IMO.

Ask Southfield PD about that

I am a Forum User
    For whatever it's worth, my experience has been that the M&P's are very comparable to the Glocks. My cousin carries an M&P 40c, and I have shot it back-to-back with my G27. They are very similar in alot of ways, with the primary differences being about preference... the finger grooves, back strap shaping, trigger, etc.

I prefer the Glock trigger, but I will concede that the M&P is a better looking gun. As for their reliability, in my limited experience with them, I have not shot an M&P with a failure. As far as feeling "cheap" though, they feel very similar to Glocks in terms of weight/balance in my opinion. So if you don't like a Glock for that reason, I'd doubt you'd like an M&P much more.

I am not a brand loyalist. I love quality firearms from all manufacturers. Glocks, in my opinion (and the opinion of many others), are excellent guns that I would not hesitate to trust my life to (and I do on a daily basis). But there are other guns that I would trust equally, many of the manufacturers that have been mentioned here included.

I am a
    Quote Originally Posted by badriverbarber
    A Glock is like a ugly Girl thats so good in bed you cant stop dating her.
    wow thats good.

this is why i like em

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...ask=view&id=90

cant hardly break em if ya try.

Freaking Sweet. Thats all you need to know.

Account Closed Forum User
    I am in the process of switching completely over to Glock.

I'm used to em, they are affordable, they shoot great, I can rebuild the pistol myself (with limited tools), parts are plentiful, mags are cheap, and they are made in every caliber (you can even do cheap caliber conversions).

It's an every day man's gun. It's as simple as that.

Here's good advice, "if you shoot them, it will come" ("it" being love for the pistol).

Shooting one one time is hardly giving it a fair shake.

I am a Forum User
    i think a big part of why everyone likes them is the name. everyone wants to be cool and own a glock well i have never personaly shot one but they dont look very comfortable. i dont care how inerchangable they are if they are uggly and ocward what does that matter anyway. and they r reliable but they aren't the only handgun out their that is. i would give them a chance if the opertunity came up to shoot one but it doesnt really apeal to be all that great to me. and on top of that i cant stand how some glock owners think they r better than any other gun out thier.:headinj:

I am a Forum User
    I own 2 Glocks and a Colt 1911. The 1911 is an amazing looking and shooting gun that has given me zero problems (but I have only shot it on 3 occasions since purchase, still fairly new) but also costed $1000. My Glock 22 was my first pistol and costed around $540, learned on a Glock so I bought a Glock.

My EDC is my Glock 27. Why? I bought it for $398 new (First Responder/Govt/Mil purchase price), slapped night sights on her, and she has never had a problem. I trust my life to it every day, fits my hand and carry needs great, and most of all, because of cost, if it becomes damaged or (God forbid) I have to use it in self defense and it becomes logged into a PD's property room for a while I can afford to lose it.

With that said, there are other great pistols out there and YMMV on Glocks. If they don't fit your hand, need, or carry preference, so be it. There are plenty of quality firearm companies out that make a great gun. Had I started on something else, or not have the opportunity to get my G27 for the price I did, I may have found a M&P, XD, or other quality carry gun on my hip day in and day out...just started with Glocks and liked 'em and never saw the need to change.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by durus5995
    Dont forget your sigma is more or less a Glock copy. Glock actually sued S&W over it back in the 90s and won if I remember correctly.
    A really, really, really bad copy of a Glock.

Sigma is ten times more plasticky, the trigger sucks, sights.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast