Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why a glock?

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JWWIII
    Replace Glock with S&W M&P in all the above, applies to it as well but the M&P is much prettier than the Glock IMO.
    This is true.Fact is, Glock was first with a widely sold plastic/hi-cap/striker/reliable pistol. If the M&P or other had been first and S&W had done the clever marketing things first, we'd be writing about the M&P here. If M&P had been first, there would be more aftermarket stuff for the M&P than for the Glock. Other companies simply came later with products that were comparable, but not appreciably better or cheaper.

We're not talking about Cadillacs, Lexuses, or BMWs here. We're talking reliable and relatively inexpensive for a police department, making it a big draw for the rest of us.
    Last edited by esq_stu; 01-16-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

I am a Forum User
    I've owned a few Glocks in my life. The 17, 19, 22, 23 and 30. I've also shot the 21 and 26.

I have a love hate relationship with Glocks. The Glock 23 was my first pistol when I turned 18 but I've sorta upgraded to slightly higher quality guns. HK, KAHR, Kimber 1911's, SIG's etc.

That said at the end of the day if the **** was about to hit the fan, I think I'd rather have a GLOCK 17 or GLOCK 22 then pretty much any other handgun out there. They just go BANG! Glocks are the AK-47 of handguns. Super reliable and you can pick them up used for like $275.00~400.00 dollars.

Plus the magazines are super cheap too. Most of HK, SIG and KAHR mags I own cost like $35~60.00 dollars a pop, Glock mags can be had for under $20 a pop if you hunt around.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by eflint49
    that "looks dont matter" crap is a joke. the gun was downright ugly and huge. It felt like a squirt gun was in my hand.
    What are you, a 16 year old girl?

I haven't yet had a FTF in any handgun I've shot (except in .22lr), so to say "it always goes bang!" means nothing. I think you'd have a hard time finding a 9mm/.40/.45 nowadays that doesn't fire every time.
    Uh

I am a Forum User

why glock

the g22 is not the largest glock the the g20 is the heaviest glock even over the long slides in 10mm its a tack driver

Nevermind.....

I am a Forum User
    Come on guys...any simple google search can turn up tons of posts about Glocks having ftf/fte issues. No gun BRAND is flawless.

I am a Forum User
    I personally find Glocks sexy looking guns... They have hidden beauty.. you just have to uwarap it ..

I am a Forum User
    I finally had the chance to shoot a glock yesterday, and I must say, I felt terribly let down. The Glock 22 looked like an over-sized plastic toy gun. It was ugly and felt very cheap. I was expecting to hear angels sing and have Jesus himself show up to pat me on the back as I aimed down the sights.

Overall, it felt like I was shooting an ugly toy version of my old S&W Sigma .40 (yet the Sigma's seem to have such a bad wrap).

So now I have to ask... why a glock? What makes them worthy of all the praise they receive? Am I not shooting the right one?
    Dont forget your sigma is more or less a Glock copy. Glock actually sued S&W over it back in the 90s and won if I remember correctly.

okay, if the glock 22 is the largest model available, the size is forgivable. also, being so huge, I expected to feel a little weight in my hand, so the "toy" sensation would be less prevalent in a smaller Glock. Maybe I was being harsh on the look of the gun because it was so huge. Perhaps the same gun scaled down by about 20% would be more attractive, even with the same lines...

For the record, I believe they are good guns... but my next glock experience needs to be better. Anybody in the Kalamazoo area want to show me something smaller? Anybody have a subcompact, a compact, and a standard they can show me side-by-side so I really see the differences?
    Yeah, pretty much any gun store/range you go to should be able to accomodate you. That way you can even handle the ugly little beasts.
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

I am completely unbiased. I own Sigs, Glocks, M&P's, H&K's, and 1911's.. My go to gun is my Glock 19.. It fits me like a glove and is boringly reliable. It's the gun I shoot the most because it's the gun I carry.. It ain't pretty but it works.. Every time.
    Downriver Minister of Misinformation.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast