Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Taurus 1911 Duo-Tone

After selling my Sig here on MGO (thanks MGO), I decide to use that money for another 1911. My fascination for this style of pistol knows no bounds, except for the limiting factor of my checkbook.

I ordered it on GunBroker and had it shipped to an FFL (M@K arms in Clinton Twsp, very nice guy). Everything went very smooth during the transaction. I was a little nervous using GunBroker, because it was my first time, but it worked out very well.

(BTW, any inventor looking for a million dollar idea should develop a "Breathalyzer tool" that will not let you make an internet purchase if you have a BAC of more than .05. See my upcoming Kimber review LOL )

I paid 648.00 otd, including the FFL transfer.

I brought it home and disassembled it, just to check it out before shooting it. My first impressions were pretty good. The fit and finish seemed perfectly acceptable. The outside of the gun looks great, I love the Duo-Tone scheme and at half the price of a Kimber Eclipse, I was very happy.

I did notice the feed ramp needs a little touch up, to be considered "polished", it has 2 minor scratches if you look close, but it looked like it would function great the way it came.

When I racked the slide it felt very nice, with no "gritty" feeling to it at all. All the other internals looked ok, but I am going to give them an "average" rating just because I thought some of the edges should have been deburred a little better.

I reassembled it and took it out for a test drive a day or 2 later. Here is the bad part. Before I took it out, I dropped one of my reloads into the chamber through the ejection port and sent the slide forward to make sure it would chamber, and it did. Well according to internet legend, and unbeknown-st to me, if you do this, you can break the extractor.

Fast forward to the range. The first 2 clips ran fine and the gun was grouping very well with no FTE or FTF. Then the third clip I had a FTE. No big deal I thought, it could be my reloads. Well I had some WWB stuff and different mags so I tried every combination I could think of to try and get this gun to cycle. Nothing worked.

After I got home I disassembled it and found the culprit, a broken ejector. So I am going to call Taurus tomorrow and see how their customer service really is.

I am not sure if it was my fault for chambering a round the way I did, or just a faulty extractor. This may be one of those dreaded MIM parts that I hear about so often. Either way It's not a huge deal, but I am a little disappointed.

I will update this thread when I hear back from Taurus CS.

I did really like the front strap checkering and the feel of the gun when it did work, so I am hoping this is just an isolated incident and not the "ghost of 'range time' future"

I will reserve comment of my overall rating until I hear back from Taurus, install a new ejector and give it a real testing.

I am a Forum User
    Esp on a 1911 you can break the extractor this way... depends on what type and grade of steel is used in the extractor.

Either way it is never a good idea to load an autoloader this way.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon
    Esp on a 1911 you can break the extractor this way... depends on what type and grade of steel is used in the extractor.

Either way it is never a good idea to load an autoloader this way.
    While loading rounds this way can ruin an extractor, neither my old Springfield, nor my Colt have ruined an extractor after chambering ONE round that way...

If it were my pistol, I would replace the extractor with a good one, and then have it tuned by a local smith, rather than sending it back to Taurus

I am a Forum User
    Great review and quite informative!
    Keep us posted on the outcome.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JBski
    While loading rounds this way can ruin an extractor, neither my old Springfield, nor my Colt have ruined an extractor after chambering ONE round that way...

If it were my pistol, I would replace the extractor with a good one, and then have it tuned by a local smith, rather than sending it back to Taurus
    You may be right BUT I have several friends that carry Taurus 1911's with thousands of rounds through them and no problems with the extractor... I very much doubt they ever loaded them this way either.

It could be that the extractor in the OP's pistol was defective IE had a weakness that missed QC. Either way I would let Taurus do their thing and then shoot it for 500 or so rounds before carrying it anyway. Then if there is still problems install and tune a Wilson Combat extractor.

I've had my PT 1911 for two years now, the only problem I had with it is the ambi safety coming loose, so I replaced it with an Ed Brown tactical safety, (non ambi) problem solved. This gun shoots anything I feed it, I use it in single stack comp. BTW mine is SS. P.S. load it from the mag.

I am a Forum User
    Live and learn I guess. I had never heard of breaking an extractor by loading it from the ejection port. I have loaded hundreds of rounds in my AR's like this, so I never even thought about it. Apples to Oranges comparison I suppose

Anyway, I did get through to Taurus yesterday and they said they would ship one out right away. Hopefully I will get it by this weekend so I can finish the review.

On a side note, I also loaded the Kimber this way at the same time, and I had no problems. Maybe I just got lucky there.

I am a Forum User
    Good news and Bad news.

First the good. I just received an ejector pin from Taurus. (It took 6 days.)

Now the bad. I ordered an extractor (not a huge deal I suppose)

I called them today as soon as I opened it, and got through to CS on my very first call. I explained my situation to the girl on the other end.

CS: No problem Sir, we have extractors in stock
    Me: Great, send one out.
    CS: How would you like to pay for it Sir, it will be $14.95 plus shipping?
    Me: Uhhhh...ummm.What do you mean? I thought there was a lifetime warranty on it?
    CS: Yes Sir there is, but you have to send us the gun and we will repair it and send it back to you. Or you can send us the broken part and we will send you a new one.
    Me: What about shipping the gun? Who pays for that? And how long will this take?
    CS: Not sure exactly how long it will take, but we will pay for shipping.

Being a little annoyed I said

Me: Fine, ship me a box and I will send it to you. ( I figured if they were gonna be jerks I would at least cost them more money)

I sat and thought about it for a second. Now I hate when people blow their stacks at the people who answer the phones especially when they are nice to begin with, so I politely said.

Me: Tara, I know you did not make this policy about shipping the gun back, so I am not mad at you, but if you could kindly relay to your boss that I am not very happy right now I would appreciate it. I bought this gun new and it broke after 8 rounds through it and only 4 days old. I am sure you can understand my frustration. Again I know it's not your rule, but just the same, I don't like it.

CS: Well I see your point, even thought the part is kind of expensive I will ship one out to you, since we originally sent you the wrong part and the gun is so new.

Well it has just been one of those days. So I hope I get the right part this time.

I am trying very hard not to be a "Taurus basher". After all I am still getting the part and she was reasonable and nice. But my patience is wearing thin.

I am trying to be as objective as I can, but it sure makes my Kimber look like the better deal right now. 250 Flawless rounds down the pipe.

Don't dispair when you get the gun up and running again you'll forget all about the trouble you went through. I like the 1911 platform because like a 'hot rod' car there is so many things and parts that can be changed to tune it the way you want it. Enjoy.

I am a Forum User
    I'm sure youl will straighten it out in the end and be happy with your Taurus.You compared it to your Kimber but that is like apples to oranges.I'm sure the Taurus was less than half the price of the Kimber.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast