Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    I feel like this should be brought up in the minutes during our next RSO meeting.

p.s. taking credit for finding the video that got this thread started!

I am still up for hosting this experiment if anyone is willing to help me.

Account Closed
    I remember this story. Diane Sawyer poses as a Republican too!

She was also one of the people suspected of being "Deep Throat", the person who was leaking classified information to Bob Woodward, a journalist, during the Watergate scandal.

I am a Forum User
    We had a big discussion about this topic in my business law class at University of Toledo... our professor is a well known lawyer in the toledo area and a gun owner/avid shooter - he was told by the head of UT that he is not allowed to bring a firearm ANYWHERE on campus... even though it is perfectly legal to have it in your car... he had it in his teaching bag almost every class...

I am a Forum User
    oh... and down to help if needed to recreate the experiment...

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by supra_2nr
    We had a big discussion about this topic in my business law class at University of Toledo... our professor is a well known lawyer in the toledo area and a gun owner/avid shooter - he was told by the head of UT that he is not allowed to bring a firearm ANYWHERE on campus... even though it is perfectly legal to have it in your car... he had it in his teaching bag almost every class...
    And he doesn't care who knows or are you possibly outing him?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango125INF11b
    I am still up for hosting this experiment if anyone is willing to help me.
    Where would you want to host it Tango?

I'm a criminal justice professor at Grand Valley State University. Done correctly, this might lead to a solid peer reviewed, academic publication ... which could plausibly impact campus carry legislation and policy (i.e. here's a peer reviewed, academic study that shows CC on campus can save lives ... if that's what the experiment, in fact showed.)

I'd be happy to help write the experimental protocol, and to participate in the experiment.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimDoc

I'm a criminal justice professor at Grand Valley State University. Done correctly, this might lead to a solid peer reviewed, academic publication ... which could plausibly impact campus carry legislation and policy (i.e. here's a peer reviewed, academic study that shows CC on campus can save lives ... if that's what the experiment, in fact showed.)

I'd be happy to help write the experimental protocol, and to participate in the experiment.
    That would be cool. I just got done writing a paper on Virginia Tech for a CJ class and I can vouch for the lack of peer reviewed content on this subject.

BTW if anyone is looking for more info about making an argument for conceal carry on campus based on the 2007 Virginia Tech Shootings read these two AARs about the Virginia Tech shooting. Its aggravating how many times it was almost stopped.

Virginia Governors Report
    http://www.governor.virginia.gov/tem...FullReport.pdf

Arch angle Consultants- This report is really good. It has Cho's entire mental health leading up to the shooting. It also has a great amount of info about the police response as well as medical response.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...9Mx1TYl14i_Eug

Quote Originally Posted by CrimDoc

I would be willing to do this experiment anywhere that allowed us to do so.

I am a Forum User
    -That is interesting stuff.
    I've read recently the carry permit rate in MI is one in four,so same fraction for the experiment.

Use laser emitters and 'targets' so no protective gear is needed,except for laser spectrum blocking eyeglasses.

That gear is already quite common for laser variations on paint ball games.
    (helped install some lasers in a game facility)

Have the student wear what they would normally wear,carrying or not.

No instructions to panic,or perhaps re-create actual panic rates vs the paralyzed effect and action effect.

If you wanted to get real fancy the laser receivers could be hooked to an onboard computer that would determine 'injured' (able to fire back) or "killed" unable to fire back.

Have the same basic skill for the shooter as for the carriers, no professionals.

The media would go crazy on that.
    (Or be silent)
    Ok,silent.

On edit:
    I don't do video due to low bandwidth,but the pic on the article showed row type seating with physical walls between rows,allowing for cover as well as concealment for those who ducked.

Actual classrooms do not have knee walls to hide behind.
    Last edited by Huntergreen; 03-12-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast