Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

How to improve accuracy on a Saiga 308

Is there anything that can be done to improve just a plain jane Saiga 308 rifle 21.8" barrel in reliability and accuracy only. Not worried about anything else as far as mods go. Bare bones DIY stuff like action work or making it more rigid.

Account Closed Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Teacher
    Is there anything that can be done to improve just a plain jane Saiga 308 rifle 21.8" barrel in reliability and accuracy only. Not worried about anything else as far as mods go. Bare bones DIY stuff like action work or making it more rigid.

As far as reliability, I have heard of people getting good results on saiga 12's by polishing the bolt carrier. It could work for the .308 as well?

1st I am not a smith!
    Depends, what kind of accuracy are you now getting, and what kind of accuracy do you think you want?
    You`re pretty much stuck with experimenting with ammo and making sure everything is tight. Maybe a sighting improvement or recrowning could help with accuracy.
    Two piece stocks, large semi auto chambers and $10 barrels don`t leave much room to work on without a major over haul.
    Reliability is something you have to dig to fix. The cure may be just a good cleaning, polish or springs. Then it might be a bad mag or feed ramp angle. The extractor might be worn and need replacement. lots can cause problems here
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
    1st I am not a smith!
    Depends, what kind of accuracy are you now getting, and what kind of accuracy do you think you want?
    You`re pretty much stuck with experimenting with ammo and making sure everything is tight. Maybe a sighting improvement or recrowning could help with accuracy.
    Two piece stocks, large semi auto chambers and $10 barrels don`t leave much room to work on without a major over haul.
    Reliability is something you have to dig to fix. The cure may be just a good cleaning, polish or springs. Then it might be a bad mag or feed ramp angle. The extractor might be worn and need replacement. lots can cause problems here
    How would crowning help unless it was intially damaged. just curious. do you recommend a type of crowning.

Looking for 600 meter bottom of dixie cup accuracy. lol

I am a Forum User
    Interesting question, like the idea of the platform. I think that answering the below questions could help people give you better advice and keep the conversation going.

1. What kind of accuracy are you getting now? (What MOA at 100yds)
    2. What kind of accuracy do you want to achieve?
    3. What modifications have you already done to the rifle?
    4. What optics are you using/ how are the mounted to the rifle?
    5. Have you tried any different types of ammo? (Any match ammo)
    6. What is your reliability now? (how many issues per 100 or 1000 rounds)

Account Closed Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RECON762WT
    Interesting question, like the idea of the platform. I think that answering the below questions could help people give you better advice and keep the conversation going.

These are great questions. Especially the optic mounting. I am curious about what the accuracy is looking like. I just got my first .308 battle rifle (an FAL) and am in love with the idea of getting more heavy hitters to accompany it.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    What I'd do:
    1.Trigger. THe Saiga rifle has a terrible trigger. Convert it to pistol grip and put in a double hook trigger like the Mak 90s.
    2. Better sights. Consider one of those sight rails that puts a peep sight at the rear of the dust cover.

Not much you can do about barrel whip, though.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

I am a Forum User
    Crowning a chrome lined barrel may cause the chrome to flake.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Teacher
    How would crowning help unless it was intially damaged. just curious. do you recommend a type of crowning.

Looking for 600 meter bottom of dixie cup accuracy. lol
    Crowning won`t help if it is good to start. I tossed it out there as a suggestion of a place to look at.
    Let me know what you do to the rifle if you ever manage to keep a couple in a row in a dixie cup @ 600. I want to copy your steps with a 1/2 dozen rifles of my own

Donzie you`re right. I would not recommend doing it unless the crown had problems to begin with. I should have been more specific as to when and why recrown
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RECON762WT

Do not have the Saiga yet. I have my eye on it. May go with a Savage 10 LE. Weighing options out I like the semi-auto mag option. I think buy the time I am done I should spend the big money on a M1A

I plan on using HSM Match or BB sniper ammo.
    Looking for tight groups.
    Looking at the burris fullfield II (eyeing the eliminator) with the heavy buris rings.
    Thinking monting pic rail on to mount scope.
    Trigger work and action polish would be on the list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast