Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMich
    Where does it say that?

Would you provide a link to such law that says a minor under 18 cannot shoot a handgun at his parent's or family's backyard while being supervised by the parents?

Thanks.
    why is it my job

you don't even say please wtf go to hell

I am a Forum User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MCL 28.422
    License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.

(3) An applicant is qualified if all of the following circumstances exist:
    (b) The person is 18 years of age or older or, if the seller is licensed under 18 USC 923, is 21 years of age or older.

(11) This section does not apply to a person who is younger than the age required under subsection (3)(b) and who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing that pistol.

(b) The person is at a recognized target range.

(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a pistol.

(d) The person's parent or guardian is physically present and supervising the person.

(e) The owner of the pistol is physically present.
    Last edited by Pistol Teacher; 03-06-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    Where does it say that?
    It doesn't.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...e=mcl-750-234f

I didn't see the word parent there. It says "under the direct supervision of an individual 18 years of age or older."

It says "shall not possess a firearm in public except under the direct supervision of an individual 18 years of age or older." I don't normally think of a back yard as being "in public." Maybe it depends on the back yard.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Teacher
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MCL 28.422[/I]
    Looks like a conflict with 750.234f

I'm not gonna debate it. It looks ambiguous. Personally, I'd let my grandchild shoot my pistol in my back 40, if I had a back 40.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Teacher
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MCL 28.422
    License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.
    (11) This section does not apply to a person who is younger than the age required under subsection (3)(b) and who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing that pistol.

(b) The person is at a recognized target range.

(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a pistol.

(d) The person's parent or guardian is physically present and supervising the person.

(e) The owner of the pistol is physically present.
    Part (b) Please explain what it is meant by recognized target range.

As far as I know and I could be wrong you are legally able to set up a range on your own property if you have the space to do it. Now how is that not a recognized range.

I am a Forum User

spaceoddity...please elaborate on your story

We are all waiting for spaceoddity to tell us more about his experience with the m/l & the vans & the helicopter, charges filed, and outcome.

I will let other people at the range shoot my guns, even people I don't know.

I have had people at the range ,that I do not know, let me shoot their guns. This has saved me from buying a gun that I would not have liked.

One guy let me put 5 rounds through his 45-70 revolver. :enforcer:

When I go to the range with other people, I always offer to let them try my guns.

When Bald Mountain was still run by the state, I had a DNR range officer watching me shoot my 460 S&W. I let him shoot it.

Sharing (at the range) is a great way to try guns you don't own.

I am a Forum User
    Where does it say that?

Quote Originally Posted by esq_stu
    It doesn't.
    It DOES!

In MCL 750.234f it deals with Firearms which includes Rifles, Shotguns, Muzzleloaders, & Pistols.

In MCL 28.422 it deals specifically with pistols. Pistol is one type of firearm.

The two do not conflict because they can be read together and made harmonious.

MCL 28.422 is more strick in the use of a pistol by someone under 18 years of age.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dracothered
    Part (b) Please explain what it is meant by recognized target range.

As far as I know and I could be wrong you are legally able to set up a range on your own property if you have the space to do it. Now how is that not a recognized range.
    The set-up on my property is pretty recognizable as a shooting range:

*shrug*

Account Closed Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Remasculated
    The set-up on my property is pretty recognizable as a shooting range:

*shrug*

I am jealous!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast