Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

What is the most popular 22lr @ Appleseed?

Just curious as to what is the most common 22lr rifle used at Appleseed in Michigan. I am thinking it is the 10/22 but I don't want to assume.

In regard to the 10/22 are people showing up with them modified or just stock? I am aware of the LTR but am thinking that they may be more common for people who have already shot an Appleseed and have learned what works the best.

What other types of common 22lrs are you seeing?

Been playing with 10/22s for thirty years. My personal 10/22s have extended mag releases and the auto bolt release mod done to them. I also put slings and usually scopes on them. I also have lots of mags so I am good to go. I am just curious what others use.

I am a Forum User
    I attended the Lapeer Appleseed last month and the most common rifle was 10/22s. None of those had the factory sights, some scopes and some after market peep sights. There was even 3 bolt action guns but they were at a disadvantage. Do not forget a good military type sling they help a lot.

I am a Forum User
    10/22....by far. I used a Marlin 795, there was a Marlin 60 there, 3 bolt guns, and I think everyone else had a 10/22

eta: One guy had an AR platform 22, I keep forgetting about him.
    Last edited by dmo8361; 03-11-2011 at 10:55 AM.

I am a Forum User
    The AR Style of 22 that was there was a S&W M&P15-22 with a Scope.
    It was Very Accurate but the Guy could not use a Sling with it.
    Due to the Amount of Polymers used and how Tight you had to get the Sling he was Flexing the Gun and it was Not accurate in that situation.
    Without the Sling I saw him shoot a 5 shot Nickel Sized Group in Practice.
    You need a 210 or Better to Make Rifleman, He Scored a 231 Without a Sling, 250 is a Perfect Score. I used a Ruger 10/22 Deluxe Sporter with a Scope. The Only Modification, to My Gun, From Factory was the Automatic Bolt Release, Well worth it. I would also Reccomend an Extended Mag release as these are timed Events with Mag Changes. The Disadvantage to the 10/22 is if your Mags do Not Fall out when you release them. If they just Drop right out your Golden. Stock Ruger Sights Tend to not be Very Accurate for this Type of Shoot. Peep Sights are best if you go Iron Sights. My Old Eyes did absolutley Terrible with the Factory Ruger Sights and had to go to a Scope. You do Not want to use a Tube Magazine Gun. you would be at a Severe Disadvantage on the Reloads. We did have at least one tuber there and Accomadations were made. Wasn't me but I learned how to make a Speed Loader for a Tube Gun out of Straws and Duct Tape. Stick with a magazine Fed Rifle. Arrangements can be Made to get you a Loaner Rifle if you cannot get one in time. Get with "Superheat" on this Forum. He is the LCSC (Lapeer County Sportsmens Club) Venue Chair person for the Appleseed program at our Club.
    We would Rather see you Shoot then to Stay at home on the Couch.
    Last edited by Trackman; 03-11-2011 at 12:56 PM.

MGO Member Forum User
    ^^^ Well-said, sir.

Most of the instructors bring loaner rifles, but we encourage everyone to "run what you brung." I usually bring at least two loaner rifles to shoots.

Yes, the 10/22 is the most popular 22 rifle at Appleseeds. But make sure you upgrade the sights. At a recent meeting of 30+ Appleseed instructors, no one had seen someone shoot Rifleman with the stock sights. Upgrade to Tech Sights or get a scope. If you get a scope, you'll probably have to build up your stock to get a good cheekweld.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by intheburbs
    ^^^ Well-said, sir.

If you get a scope, you'll probably have to build up your stock to get a good cheekweld.

And foam or pipe insulation with an ace bandage or vet wrap does this very well, and cheap.

MGO Member
    As I mentioned in the original post my 10/22s are good to go. (I am bringing my 20 year old daughter and I have a couple backup rifles). I was just curious if people were actually using LTR type setups or just straight out of the box rifles.

What is the biggest problem people have with their rifles? Sighting them in? Jamming? manipulating the bolt release on stock gun? Again, just curious, mine are all good to go.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac
    What is the biggest problem people have with their rifles? Sighting them in? Jamming? manipulating the bolt release on stock gun? Again, just curious, mine are all good to go.
    Un-learning bad habits. Just because you have been doing it that way all your life doesn't mean it's the right way to do it.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac
    As I mentioned in the original post my 10/22s are good to go. (I am bringing my 20 year old daughter and I have a couple backup rifles). I was just curious if people were actually using LTR type setups or just straight out of the box rifles.

Most common "hardware" problems I've seen (in no particular order)

1) Comb height insufficient for a good, consistent cheekweld, especially when using a scope
    2) Sling issues - no attachment point, wrong hardware, overly-complicated sling
    3) Reliability issues - fte, ftf, etc - primarily with 22's, especially on Sunday
    4) Scope/sights not zeroed or loose

DMO makes a good point, too. I'll call that the "software" side of the equation. This is the key - bring an open-minded, teachable attitude.

When shooters arrive on Saturday morning, most everyone's goal is to get a Rifleman patch. My goal as an Instructor is that by Sunday afternoon, everyone sees the Rifleman patch not as the end, but the beginning.

Sounds interesting, Myself and grandson and nephew may be interested in attending.

Please tell me what targets are used and where I can download them and the course of fire or maybe a link with that information.

thanks

tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast