Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Unhappy DNR Tickets My Friend While Fish with His Dad

Where would I find on the web laws that the DNR enforce?

A friend of mine went salmon fishing last weekend with his dad. Long story as short as I can make it: while out on the ice a DNR officer walks up and asks how many fish they had. He told the officer 9. (The limits 5 per person.) The officer said that he saw him (my friend) catch 4 and that he had a witness that seen him catch the other 5. He explained he was with his father that was fishing as well and they were under the limit of 10 total. Didn’t matter, the limit is set for each person, not by how many are there fishing. He got a ticket.

I would like to read through the laws dealing with fishing. I can’t seem to find them on the DNR website or even a link. There has to be more than just the “Fishing Guide”, right?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D

A friend of mine went salmon fishing last weekend with his dad. Long story as short as I can make it: while out on the ice a DNR officer walks up and asks how many fish they had. He told the officer 9. (The limits 5 per person.) The officer said that he saw him (my friend) catch 4 and that he had a witness that seen him catch the other 5. He explained he was with his father that was fishing as well and they were under the limit of 10 total. Didn’t matter, the limit is set for each person, not by how many are there fishing. He got a ticket.

I would like to read through the laws dealing with fishing. I can’t seem to find them on the DNR website or even a link. There has to be more than just the “Fishing Guide”, right?
    I believe the complete rules are on their site. At least it says they are in the Fishing Guide. But it's a possession limit right? Not a catching limit?

I am a Forum User
    Contact the law division in Lansing....... 517-373-3904

BTW...... The CO is correct on the limit of per person. You can't "help" a buddy fill his limit.

I am a Forum User
    I don't know how the actual law reads ... but if the story is true as presented, that DNR officer seriously needs to GET A LIFE. This is a textbook example of why DNR officers (in general) have bad reputation for being on power trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric D

From a rule standpoint Tallbear is correct,, from a defence standpoint uless he admitted it to the C/O fight the ticket and make it your word agaist the witness if they even named em.
    Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Garbo44/?ref=hl Mobile App getmobile.remax.com/davidg

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimDoc
    I don't know how the actual law reads ... but if the story is true as presented, that DNR officer seriously needs to GET A LIFE. This is a textbook example of why DNR officers (in general) have bad reputation for being on power trips.
    Sounds like a witness probbaly called or said something. If so they have to act on what they are told. That's their job.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimDoc
    It is worse than I wrote. My friend really is a standup guy and just wants to do what is right. The DNR made threats, I’m paraphrasing, but something close to, “Ether you tell the truth or everything you have here including the four wheeler will be confiscated. We can keep this simple and easy or I can make it very hard on you! The fine will be much less then what it will cost to get your stuff back if you get it back at all!”

The officer took all 9 fish as well. My buddy is pretty shookup about the whole deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniels
    Sounds like a witness probbaly called or said something. If so they have to act on what they are told. That's their job.
    Where he fishes everyone knows everyone. He said their were a couple of guys they didn't know not to far off. He expects they were the lookers...

what was the fine?

Well either pay the fine since he was in the wrong,, or fight it as they cant confiscate his stuff now right .

But that does sound like a strong arm technique. How do we even know he wasnt guessing?
    Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Garbo44/?ref=hl Mobile App getmobile.remax.com/davidg

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast