Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

View Poll Results: Gun free zones...

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • prevent gun violence.

1 1.75%
  • do nothing.

12 21.05%
  • encourage criminal activity.

17 29.82%
  • endanger the lives of law abiding citizens.

42 73.68%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Are gun free zones effective in preventing gun violence?

A shooting at a Saginaw High School was recently committed. Are gun free zones like schools really effective?

(Multiple choice)
    Last edited by Knimrod; 10-20-2005 at 07:47 PM.

I am a Forum User
    You should be a writer for politically-charged polls. Your lead in question will skew results.

Compare this to how some may have voted if you had inquired:

"No shootings have taken place at [insert just about ANY MI high school name here] since gun free zones were established by the CPL legislation ammendments. Are gun free zones like schools really effective?"

Regardless ... I would say that, on the surface, CEZ's might appear to be bountiful harvests for bad guys to ratchet up their criminal activities, I doubt that gun free zones affect crime either way.

I am a Forum User
    A concern that I have about gun free zones is how it effects ones decision to carry at all on a given day.

For instance: If your evening out is to attend a HS basketball game, you may elect to leave your firearm at home. This could leave you vunerable in a number of situations. You might need to stop at the ATM, then buy gas on the way to the game. After the game it's off to the local pizza place to treat the winners. Then on the way home it's "Honey we need milk".

The only alternatives are either don't go at all or leave a firearm locked in a car for 2-3 hours. Both lousy choices at best.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBink
    A concern that I have about gun free zones is how it effects ones decision to carry at all on a given day.
    True, true.

However, given the choice between not having it at all and having it locked in the car, I'll take the chance of having it stolen from the car.

Insurance can replace the gun that's stolen from your car, but it can't put one in your hand if you need it THAT NIGHT -- and it's at home.

Good points, though, Bink.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop
    You should be a writer for politically-charged polls. Your lead in question will skew results.
    Considering where this poll is at, do you really think the results can be significantly skewed no matter how the lead-in is phrased?

Regardless ... I would say that, on the surface, CEZ's might appear to be bountiful harvests for bad guys to ratchet up their criminal activities, I doubt that gun free zones affect crime either way.
    So if you're intellectually honest, you voted for that very option in the poll.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Knimrod
    Considering where this poll is at, do you really think the results can be significantly skewed no matter how the lead-in is phrased?
    Errr ... no, not really ... hahahaha ...

Quote Originally Posted by Knimrod
    So if you're intellectually honest, you voted for that very option in the poll.
    Why of course I did!

Say, whatever happened to that "forum/member" confidentiality agreement? (just kidding!)
    Last edited by Scoop; 10-21-2005 at 01:26 PM.

I am a Forum User

Insurance can replace the gun that's stolen from your car, but it can't put one in your hand if you need it THAT NIGHT -- and it's at home.
    Scoop,

I'm not thinking so much of the price of the gun as I am thinking about that 16 y/o kid you took the Hi-Point off of last week. It really sucks to think that MI law could put me (or any of us) in a position to be even remotely responsible for putting a gun in the hands of a kid on the street.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBink
    It really sucks to think that MI law could put me (or any of us) in a position to be even remotely responsible for putting a gun in the hands of a kid on the street.
    This is true. However, the kid could just as easily - if not MORE easily - break into a home and steal a handgun, too (most people who own a handgun do NOT own a safe).

I hope you don't think that I don't support the removal of the CEZ restrictions -- I do.

Other than those invovling liquor, the "gun free zones" are fairly senseless restrictions.

I am a Forum User

I hope you don't think that I don't support the removal of the CEZ restrictions -- I do.
    Oh no, not at all. I believe that we are all on the same page about CEZ's.

Excellent point too about the majority of gun owners not a owning gun safe.