Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

NPR piece about Students for Concealed Carry

Anyone else caught this yesterday?

one of my instructors actually mentioned it to me.

the article on their site is:

POLITICS

Empty holsters on campus in protest of gun laws
    By Michigan Radio Newsroom

A student group is protesting concealed weapons not being allowed on Michigan's college campuses being

photo by Sarah Alvarez/Michigan Radio

Some college students are protesting the state’s gun laws by carrying empty holsters on campus this week. “Students for Concealed Carry” is a national group behind the annual protest. There are protests this week at Grand Valley State University, Ferris State University and Central Michigan University.

The groups say people with valid concealed weapons permits should be able to carry concealed guns on campuses around the state. Michigan law includes college campuses and dorms on its list of nine “pistol free zones”.

Reid Smith is the Michigan State Director of Students for Concealed Carry

"You’re only taking about allowing lawful gun owners to carry their firearms on college campuses and you’re not talking about the criminals. The criminals aren’t going to obey the gun free zone laws anyway."

Michigan’s house and senate are considering bills this year on whether or not to do away with the pistol free zones.

Reid continues:

"We want the Michigan legislature to pass laws that would allow students who are already licensed to be able to carry firearms on their college campuses. That’s our end goal. Everything else is a means to an end and the end is definitely getting laws passed that allow us to defend ourselves on college campuses."

Students for Concealed Carry uses a lot of video to make their case. See a video produced about the Grand Valley State University group here:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-iFnNDRLqg[/YOUTUBE]

Sarah Alvarez-Michigan Radio Newsroom

I am a Forum User
    I'm more than happy to be part of this protest!

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    I heard the piece. What surprised me was that the opponents were not given an opportunity to whine. Normally they ask the anti-gun people to comment and not the pro-gun people.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by esq_stu
    I heard the piece. What surprised me was that the opponents were not given an opportunity to whine. Normally they ask the anti-gun people to comment and not the pro-gun people.
    agreed.
    especially with NPR, and in ANN ARBOR of all places.

I better cover my eyes before the article is rewritten.

the video is cool, but I cant seem to get it to work.