Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Do I need a tactical vest?

I've been kicking this idea around, and I can only come up with 2 very good reasons for needing a tactical vest:

1. The zombies are coming.
    2. I am going into combat.

Why else would I need one? I've been looking at Blackhawk molle systems, chest rigs w/ thigh rigs, etc. Gotta admit, they are cool. They hold H20 bladders, first aid kits, gun cleaning kits, mags mags mags.
    [EDIT] All those accessories are already in random bug-out-bags, etc.

Then I watch the Youtube videos like this.
    <sigh>
    I live in Mayberry.... Cops will see me in a vest and I look like a threat. Locals see me and I look like a target or a guy w/ info & gear for hand-outs.

I've done a lot of searches here and on other sites. 99% of posts are about vests, plate-carrier reviews, etc. I'm simply asking why I should own one. Can you give me a good reason why? I don't roll around in the mountain tundra like NutnFancy making Youtube vids. I'm a nerd in IT, interested in HD training, reloading, plinking, etc. I would think that if SHTF, I'd rather be in street clothes and a school backpack of light gear. Can you give me a good reason to own a tactical vest? I do have many high-cap carbine mags, but don't see a need to run out the door with them strapped to my chest.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jetplane19; 05-24-2011 at 08:56 PM.

For civilians there are three reasons to buy one:

1) You intend to use it during a SHTF scenario.
    Pros- Lots of fighting gear available to you. Potentially armor in it as well. If I know I'm going to be in a gunfight, armor is right behind "rifle" in my lists of wants.
    Cons- Slow to put on, makes you stand out (could be good or bad). Many people have a fantasy of suiting up and taking to the streets dropping tangos at every street corner. History shows us it happens a bit differently than that...

2) You want to take a training class that requires it
    Many people think they need one for a rifle class, which isn't always true.
    Some classes (shoot house classes mostly) require armor.

3) You want one because you think they are cool
    This is what most people buy them for.

I am a Forum User
    I have one for a plate carrier, but for the most part, I just run a bag..
    I may not look as cool.. but it's all I need. Instantly deployable.

I am a Forum User
    if i still went camping i would get one,but other than that i would nevr use it were any one could see me

I am a Forum User
    "Do I need a tactical vest?"

ABSOLUTELY. Maybe a backup one also.

The question is my freind, do you want to win?

Now everybody knows the key to victory is intimidation first! If you have on a jungle recon hat, a molle vest, a protective cup and a pair of knee high danners, you just won! Your enemy will have one of two things going on in his trousers, A soldier standing at attention-wich leads to further confusion that takes him out of fight mode; or he needs to change his bvd's after his blatter gave way from fear! With this new found inteligents on tactical vests, your new question should be "will I ever have ENOUGH tactical vests?

I bought a cheap yet surprisingly well made UTG vest. I only use it for airsoft, and even then not so much. Why carry a heavy vest full of crap, when a 30 round airsoft AR mag actually holds 250?
    Our founding fathers, in their infinite wisdom, had the foresight to put America on the opposite side of the globe from everyone else.

I thank them for it.

I am a Forum User
    don't forget extra duct tape in case your secondary plate comes loose.

I have one, level III rifle plate armor, mag pouches, med kit, etc. already attached, but I still haven't found a reason to use it. . . When I start taking some Carbine classes, I'll break it out, but until then, it sits in a closet. . .

I am a Forum User
    People and their love for tac vest

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast