Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Toledo Kid
    Very Nice Review!!!
    But nothing from the normal from my experience with TC Black Powder Rifles.
    My Encore 50 has done this or better type of performance from day one and I have had it for about 15yrs now. The magic believe or not is in the grain of powder loaded. Find the sweet spot which is between 90-110grs and your good to go!!!
    TC makes some good stuff!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!
    You are very welcome & I am having a ball doing this.
    I actually like my 2 Impacts better than I liked my Encore. The reasons are small but enough to matter to me. The trigger on my Encore is horrible....lots of take up & creep, not to mention about a 7lb pull. The other was that there are so many sharp angles on the Encore it was always snagging my coat as I raised it. Just picky things, I know & still I was able to shoot it. I won't shoot over 100 yards & try to stay under 75. My loads of BH209 will range from 70 to 100 grains.

I am a Forum User
    Worked with dads Impact today. He wanted his sighted in at 50 yards. I started with Hornady 45 cal 225 grain FTX bullets & 80 grains of BH209, they shot very well. Then I switched to the Fusion 260 grain, again with 80 grains of BH209 & they were impressive. I think this will be dad's hunting load. It loads really nice with the orange crush rib sabot & that is critical for him. Ooops....I made a mistake. I didn't take a photo of the FTX group, but it was very good. The left target is a 3 shot group using Speer Gold Dot 44 cal JHP in a green Hornady sabot & 80 grains of powder. The target on the right is actually 4 shots, with 3 in the center & one for proof of what "jerking" the trigger will do for me, LOL

I recovered a Swift A-Frame 265 grain from my Impact's test firing & really liked what I saw. Mushroomed the way a bullet should be, but still held together. I shot it with 90 grains thru the target & into wet sand & dirt. I'm really leaning hard towards this as my hunting load.
    Last edited by GregK; 06-17-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GregK
    Worked with dads Impact today. He wanted his sighted in at 50 yards. I started with Hornady 45 cal 225 grain FTX bullets & 80 grains of BH209, they shot very well. Then I switched to the Fusion 260 grain, again with 80 grains of BH209 & they were impressive. I think this will be dad's hunting load. It loads really nice with the orange crush rib sabot & that is critical for him.

I recovered a Swift A-Frame 265 grain from my Impact's test firing & really liked what I saw. Mushroomed the way a bullet should be, but still held together. I shot it with 90 grains thru the target & into wet sand & dirt. I'm really leaning hard towards this as my hunting load.
    Very Nice...Ever hunted with it yet?? Taken anything??

I am a Forum User
    Very Nice...Ever hunted with it yet?? Taken anything??
    I bought the blued model just before last muzzleloading season but I never got an opportunity at a good buck, then I gave that one to my dad & bought another in weathershield for myself, so this one hasn't even seen the woods yet. They are very user friendly & fun to shoot I still own an old Knight, have had an Encore, & 2 CVA's. I also have a Hawken 50. One of the things that I like the most about the Impact is the combination of the lighter weight & balance. I also took off the Aetec scope as it was just too big for the gun & installed a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 accurange with a one piece Game Reaper mount.....EXCELLENT setup!

The bullets that we are using this year are new for us & I am excited to see what will happen to a deer upon impact. I am familiar with the terrific performance of the A-frame bullets & the fact that they do what a bullet is supposed to do & the Fusion is supposed to be derived from the Speer Deep Curl bullets which are also a tough bonded bullet, so hopefully we'll have some good reports this fall

Well I can tell ya that those 300gr XTP w/ 100 Pyro light packed drops deer like a freight train hit em 100yds and in. Only other rifles I have seen do that are my Sako's one in 300 mag and other in 30-378 Weatherby.

Amazing rifles...fun too!!!

Looks like you have got it dialed in!!!

I am a Forum User
    Well I can tell ya that those 300gr XTP w/ 100 Pyro light packed drops deer like a freight train hit em 100yds and in. Only other rifles I have seen do that are my Sako's one in 300 mag and other in 30-378 Weatherby.

Amazing rifles...fun too!!!

Looks like you have got it dialed in!!!
    I am getting there, LOL! I have a box 0f XTP 45 Mag 300 grain bullets & a box of the 240's as well & they are also tack drivers. I don't have any XTP experience, but I also have them loaded for my Ruger SBY 44 mag pistol. Are you using the "mag" bullet or the standard? I am hoping for the chance to use a few different bullets on game. I will say that across the board all of the Hornady bullets that I have shot have been the most consistently accurate & the includes the SST-ML 250 & 300's. You hear stories about poor performance, but I like to see for myself.

Today I also received an order of Lehigh brass bullets, 250 grain hollow points & they recommend 110 to 120 grains of BH 209 for proper expansion. I also got some Swift 50 cal 220 grain hollow point A-frames. There is always room to play with more bullets

I'm putting up a pic of the bullets. L to R.....Swift 220 grain A-Frame, Swift 265 grain A-Frame, & the Lehigh 250 grain.

I am a Forum User
    FINALLY!!! My shoulder is better & the weather was great too, so I had to shoot

It went from sunny, to cloudy, to windy (over 20mph) & rainy, but since the benches are covered by a big canopy, I decided to stay. I am glad that I did because I saw a few things that impressed me.

First....at 100 yards with the same 90 grain charge of BH209 & a black CR sabot, the 45 cal 220gr Swift A-Frame hit in the same place as the 265gr A-Frame.

Second the lightweight bullet stayed accurate in the 20+ mph winds.

And, third....the Hornady 45cal 240 grain XTP once again proved it's incredible accuracy in my gun by turning in a 3/8" three shot group at 100 yards. Even though the winds had dropped to 8 mph, that's incredible shooting for me!!!

Today, I found that the Swift A-Frames, Nosler 300 grain Partition HG, XTP 200's & 240's, XTP mag 300's & SST-ML250's all groped more than good enough at 100 yards to kill a deer. The 200's were pushed in a CR sabot by 70 grains of BH209. It was the most fun to shoot, due to the almost nonexistent recoil. A great load for young or recoil sensitive shooters. The rest were 90 grains & CR sabots except for the SST which was in it's own red sabot. They are also all 45 caliber.

The lone 44cal was the Speer deep curl 270gr in a green Hornady sabot & a 4 shot group at 100 yards....again a very deadly group.

I am a Forum User
    I apparently forgot to take a pic of the Nosler grouping....sorry & I am still working on a load for the Lehigh's. You'll also noticed that in the lower right hand corner of the multi group target is one 300gr SST-Ml hole. The wind & the rain got really bad, so I quit after one shot. Stay tuned......more to come

I am a Forum User
    I managed a little more play time today. I shot the 45 cal Hornady XTP 200 grain bullets with 80 grains of BH209 & a black CR sabot. I dug 2 out of the trap. Very good expansion on both & 1 total core separation on the XTP. I don't call it a failure because it wasn't. If it had been a deer the core would have continued on depositing all of its energy inside of the animal as well as creating another wound channel. I personally like a bullet that causes massive internal damage, but doesn't exit, allowing every bit of the bullets energy to drop the animal quickly, if not right on the spot.

Now if you look at the bullet on the right, you will see perfect expansion. That is a Nosler Partition HG 300 grain bullet pushed by 100 grains of BH209. It will typically break any bone it hits, continue on making a large internal wound channel, & then most likely...exit. The Swift A-Frame works the same way. I would be confident shooting a deer with either of the bullets pictured here.

I am currently in the process of finding which bullets I can shoot from my Impact at 100 yards without adjusting the scope. So far it's the XTP 200 & 240, the Swift 220 & 265, & the Nosler 300.

I am a Forum User
    Drove to the range today only to realize that I had forgotten my rifle rest! I just picked up some Barnes 200 grain .451 XPB bullets & wanted to give them a good test, but instead all I could do was lean over the bench & try to free hand a few rounds at 100 yards. For me, I must say that I was impressed. I shanked the first shot, but then settled down a little on the next four. I think I am going to like this bullet & I am hoping to have final results for it tomorrow. It certainly expands nicely & that was in dirt. One side hit a rock & that stopped the peel back, but that is typical of any bullet that hits a rock. I used 90 grains again & black CR sabots of course!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast