Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

THE SHORT LIST.......for now

As of now, I have narrowed the bullet list down. Theses are all good deer bullets & I want to use them all, LOL.

Barnes XPB .451 200 grain
    Swift A-Frame .451 220 grain (no longer made)
    Hornady XTP (from TC mag Express) 240 grain
    Swift A-Frame .451 265 grain
    Speer Deep Curl .429 270 grain
    Hornady XTP Mag .451 300 grain
    Nosler Partition HG .451 300 grain (no longer made)

The 240 XTP that comes in the TC Mag Express packages appear to be a 45 cal bullet, but not available in bulk packs. They only offer the "Mag" series in bulk according to Hornady, so I may try them, or just load up on the Mag Express & toss their sabots aside.
    Last edited by GregK; 07-09-2011 at 09:46 PM.

I am a Forum User

Short list pics

Narrowed down bullet choices

Now its just a matter of cost seems like.
    Good write up Greg!!!

great write up. I've been very interested in the Impact give the price point. Thanks for the very valuable info on this weapon.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper8081
    great write up. I've been very interested in the Impact give the price point. Thanks for the very valuable info on this weapon.
    You are very welcome. I loved mine so much that I gave it to my dad & bought a second one. The 2-7x33 Redfield Revolution is an excellent scope for the gun as well as the "high" mount one piece DNZ Game Reaper mount. You'll need it to give you enough room to cock to the stub type hammer. I have fond that I can d it with gloves on using my thumb or my index finger.

They are great shooters, well balanced, & well designed.
    Last edited by GregK; 07-07-2011 at 06:02 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Toledo Kid
    Now its just a matter of cost seems like.
    Good write up Greg!!!
    I went out today & played with the XTP 45 Mag 300 grain bullets, Crush Rib sabots, & 100 grains of BH209. I was very impressed to say the least & I'm gonna start the hunting season with these. The cost per shot is by far the best & all of these components are available at any gun shop.

I am a Forum User

XTP 45 Mag 300 grain

300 grain XTP, 100 grains of BH 209. 50 & 100 yards. Harvester Crush Rib sabots

I haven't got a chronograph yet, but according to the BH 209 specs this should be getting out of the barrel between 1850 & 1950 fps.
    Last edited by GregK; 07-08-2011 at 09:32 PM.

I am a Forum User
    OK....the 300 grain XTP's shot so well that I decided to go back & try the Nosler Partition HG 300 grain bullets with the same CR sabots & 100 grains of BH209.

The first 2 shots measures 3/16ths of an inch! I know the third would have been there as well if I had noticed that the left rear leg of my rifle rest had slipped backwards & off of the shooting bench causing a high left shot.

Now.....which bullet to hunt with?

I think it is up to you. either will work.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Toledo Kid
    I think it is up to you. either will work.
    I agree. I did have one core separation of the XTP, but unlike most people, I don't mind that. It just causes more internal damage inside of a deer, not to mention the fact that if the bullet doesn't exit, all of the energy stays in the deer.

The other consideration is that Nosler no longer makes the Partition HG & even though I have found a few boxes, they still run about 40 bucks per box after being marked down as leftover stock. I may just save them for hunting in bear country or if I'm fortunate enough to go Elk hunting.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast