Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Toledo Kid
    Dont think I am going out this year up north and there is no where to hunt around Monroe County where I live. Sucks too, this morning dropping the kid off I seen a nice 8 point in a stubble field about 15 mins ago that would be reachable with that Encore.
    That's a shame. Hope you can get out somewhere! We've lost a ton of deer to the EHD this year. Seems Van Buren & Cass counties got hit exceptionally hard.

I am a Forum User
    Greg, thanks for the information on this rifle. Your review made me pick one up yesterday as my first muzzleloader.

I probably won't get out to sight it in for a few days, but it looks to be a fine gun for being only $220. I got the Dunhams combo that came with a starter kit and Thompson/Center scope for $300, and with powder, primer, and some 240g XTP's the total came out to $375 after tax.

For being a cheap scope the image is nice and clear, it just needs higher mounts as the ones Thompson supplies hamper clearance to the hammer a bit with gloves on. I will probably pick up DNZ mounts as I have them on my 30/30 and they seem very well built.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamFZ6
    Greg, thanks for the information on this rifle. Your review made me pick one up yesterday as my first muzzleloader.

I probably won't get out to sight it in for a few days, but it looks to be a fine gun for being only $220. I got the Dunhams combo that came with a starter kit and Thompson/Center scope for $300, and with powder, primer, and some 240g XTP's the total came out to $375 after tax.

For being a cheap scope the image is nice and clear, it just needs higher mounts as the ones Thompson supplies hamper clearance to the hammer a bit with gloves on. I will probably pick up DNZ mounts as I have them on my 30/30 and they seem very well built.
    Glad I could help. I love my Impacts. They are un-beatable for the price & blow away a lot of the competitions high end guns! I have the high mount DNZ with a Redfield Revolution Accu-range 2-7x33 scope & the clearance is perfect. It is a fantastic combination. Enjoy & if I can help in any way just yell!

I am a Forum User
    Just wanted to give an update. I got mine out for the first time and it shoots great. The most accurate rifle I own so far, about the same recoil as my 30/30.

I loaded with 100gr of triple 7 pellets and the bullets supplied with the gun, they have a yellow plastic tip on them. Haven't had a chance to try out the 240gr XTP's yet.

I didn't have time to set up a shooting bench, but at about 60 yards shot a 2" group offhand, and I am not what anyone would call an expert marksman. It sure is interesting to see a big cloud of smoke in your scope view for 3 or so seconds after each shot.

Loaded easily, cleaned easily, and shot well. Not much more to say.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamFZ6
    Just wanted to give an update. I got mine out for the first time and it shoots great. The most accurate rifle I own so far, about the same recoil as my 30/30.

I loaded with 100gr of triple 7 pellets and the bullets supplied with the gun, they have a yellow plastic tip on them. Haven't had a chance to try out the 240gr XTP's yet.

I didn't have time to set up a shooting bench, but at about 60 yards shot a 2" group offhand, and I am not what anyone would call an expert marksman. It sure is interesting to see a big cloud of smoke in your scope view for 3 or so seconds after each shot.

Loaded easily, cleaned easily, and shot well. Not much more to say.
    Adam....I am thrilled that you like the gun & that it's accurate for you. Mine are both tack drivers & I love the small amount invested to get that accuracy

Next season, try using 90 to 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder, CCI 209 Magnum primers, & your favorite bullet. You will increase velocity & energy & here's the best part....no cleaning between shots & cleans with standard gun cleaning solvents. I am using a product called Super Quick Clean Guns....fantastic stuff & made in Grand Rapids.

Also, BH209 does not absorb water. Max load is 120 grains, & I have been told that a 100 grain charge is equivalent to a 150 grain charge of T7 pellets.

Also, if your yellow tipped bullet is in a sabot, it's prolly a TC Shockwave, if it has an attached skirt it's a power belt. The shockwaves are the same as the Hornady SST-ML bullets.

I hope that you have a great & successful muzzleloading experience. Keep me posted.

I am a Forum User
    Greg, thanks for the advice. I just thought I would get some basic supplies to get the year started and maybe get it out a couple times for ML season.

I will try out your suggestions after hunting season as the T7 does seem to be quite dirty. I am using Remington Cleanbore ML primers, but will try out the CCI's next time.

The supplied bullets are in a sabot, so I suspect that they are the TC Shockwaves.

Saw 13 does/button bucks and 22 turkeys the other morning before the last cold front moved in on Wednesday, hopefully some bucks will get moving and I can test this thing out. That was more deer than I have seen all year so far. Otherwise I'll have to get the bow back out and at least get some venison for the year.

I am a Forum User

Impact

Good luck Adam & of course....keep me posted. If you have any questions at any point, don't hesitate to ask.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345