Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am a Forum User

Can I CPL in Indiana ?

Im going to Indiana and Im trying to find out

if my Mich CPL is good in Indiana? If it is I need

to know the Mich CPL in Indiana laws.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Alton
    Im going to Indiana and Im trying to find out

if my Mich CPL is good in Indiana? If it is I need

to know the Mich CPL in Indiana laws.
    Your MI CPL is valid in IN. Just pretend that you're in MI and you'll be fine.

I am a Forum User
    handgunlaws.us is the best place to start. Make sure you click the links to read the actual laws.

DO NOT treat it just as MI as some things are different!

OC or CC is legal as long as you have CPL. PFZ's are different. You do NOT have to tell a police officer you have a gun or CPL in IN unless asked during the course of an investigation. So no telling during traffic stops is required.

I am a Forum User
    Yes, you should always check the laws yourself. But I think that you will find that there is no real difference between IN and MI CPL laws. And whether you're technically right or not, surprising an LEO with a gun is always, always a bad plan. I strongly recommend disclosure in every encounter with with an LEO.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring
    Yes, you should always check the laws yourself. But I think that you will find that there is no real difference between IN and MI CPL laws. And whether you're technically right or not, surprising an LEO with a gun is always, always a bad plan. I strongly recommend disclosure in every encounter with with an LEO.
    DUDE are you aware that MI is one of the few states that requires disclosure? In most other states all you will get is a strange look from the cop as they do not expect that. And in fact you may find yourself with more problems for having opened your mouth. As they may think you are trying to use the fact that you have a CPL to get out of the ticket!

Finally please don't tell anyone else that the CC laws are PRETTY MUCH the same between any state BC they are not and one little mistake can really jam a person up. Always tell them where to look up the information if you know and any details you are sure of and leave it at that.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring
    Exactly, it never hurts. I was angry that Illinois does not recognize MI CPL laws because I was at a gas station today that was beyond sketchy. Back at home now though -- home sweet gun owner home.

For the most part though, IN and MI have very similar CPL laws. Its easy enough to check before you go regardless.

I am a Forum User
    Nah they really are not that similar... they have way fewer PFZ's which means you may think you need to disarm but do not... signs by statute have no weight of law unless on a statutory PFZ.

Also in IN you MUST have a CPL from IN or another recognized state to posses or transport a firearm in state, through the state to a diff final destination is covered by the federal transport law.

Just a few small differences. One of the big ones in the PFZ area is they specify that if a school is using any facility for a school activity it becomes a PFZ for the duration... that is a sneaky one that could catch a person off guard.

The point I am making guys is each person needs to make themselves aware of the laws for themselves.... we don't need to be telling them it is just like MI or any other place. I CC through and in many other states and I always check the laws for each one before I go. I have no interest in a felony or out of state court action! It is the small differences that can jam you up.