Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

terrible experience with On Sight Gunsmithing of Flint

Over a month ago I took my Spikes 14.5 cold hammer forged barrel, brand new in package, along with my upper receiver and my new Spikes Dynacomp Extreme muzzle brake to Josh at On Sight Gunsmithing. while I was there dropping it off, we ran through options for a gas block decided on a block with a rail on top because I need a front sight on my AR and told him I had a Magpul handguard to go on it.

Two weeks go by and I call to see if the work was complete. He said he was waiting on the parts. I give it another week and a half, call back. it's done and I go to pick it up.

I get there and first notice that the wrong gas block was installed, a low profile that will not fit my handguard, or accept a front sight (I guess I shouldn't have ordered the UTG screw on front sight).

The second thing I notice is that the Comp is pinned and welded in the wrong position. What I mean is the section of the brake with no holes was facing the three o'clock when it should be at the 6o'clock position. He wasn't there so I had to worker call him up and I expressed my concerns. The tag that was put back on the gun was reinspect.

after not hearing anything from him over the weekend or Monday, I drive up to the shop to see that he had torqued my permanently attached muzzle device in the proper position.

I called him today because after mulling it over, I will not settle for a damaged barrel. it is brand new, 0 rounds through a barrel that is rated for over 25,000 rounds. I was nice and offered to sell him the damaged barrel, he refused. I told him I will see him in small claims. I run up there today to pick it up, he smiles, "here's your property, hope to see you in court".

here are some pictures of the damage to the outside of the comp

I will be shipping this down ADCO in Ohio tomorrow, as they handle a lot of AR's, going to have to pay them to remove the brake and certify that what Josh Ledbetter did damaged my barrel.
    Last edited by RRrider; 06-25-2012 at 06:15 PM.

I am a Forum User
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/5...__.html&page=1

here is the thread I started in AR15.com

in it, you will see the CEO of Spikes Tactical comment twice

I am a Forum User
    next time take it to Schupbach's, get it done right!
    https://www.facebook.com/SchupbachsF...armsCustomShop

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by forrest0872
    next time take it to Schupbach's, get it done right!
    https://www.facebook.com/SchupbachsF...armsCustomShop
    Thanks for the reply!

I want to keep my business here in Michigan. the only reason I list ADCO was of their reputation from gun enthusiasts from around the country. I would prefer to have a actual gunsmith here in Michigan assess this situation and earn my business.

Thanks

I am a Forum User
    Drive south on 75 to exit 93. Go left on Dixie for a 1/2 mile, turn left and see Bruce at Flint and Frizzen.

I am a Forum User

bad work

Tree Rat is right Bruce Is the best I have delt with.He has done work for me from 1974 to date.My second choice would be Dick Williams in Saginaw.If you need help getting small claim together please pm me.Doc

I am a Forum User
    WOW.... I'm glad I bought my Spike's 14.5/Dynacomp complete upper from AIM. I'm in the process of learning gunsmithing and the guy who did this should be beat with his poor excuse of workmanship. When friends have asked me to work on their firearms, if I'm not confident I can do the job, I decline. That's why I just bought the complete upper, not confident enough yet to pin/weld a brake....I do know how to time one though.

That being said, to legaly be a gunsmith for profit you must have a FFL. Does this clown have his FFL?

I read the AR15 thread and was so glad to see the guy from Spikes step up That's how you treat your customers!

I hope this all works out in the end for you, please keep us updated.

that's unfortunate...im sorry to hear someone bent you over with your new rifle with no KY..... that comp looks like a botched abortion now...let us know how it turns out. good luck man!
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ~ Heraclitus
    www.313Tactical.com

MGO Member
    In an unrelated but happy note, I loved the spoof ad on that page for the side mounted homeboy night sights. That really made me laugh.

I am a Forum User
    If you're sending it in to us at Adco, we may not be able to save that muzzle device. Typically, we mill off the muzzle device to attach a new one. Send an email to steve@adcofirearms.com or dave@adcofirearms.com and let them know the blow by blow, if you haven't already done so. Once we have it, we can see if it can be saved or not.

If this thing got wrenched down after pinning without removing the pin, then the threads will be trashed when we get this device off and it won't be salvageable anyway. If this is the case then we have to figure out what to do with this barrel.

It could get chopped down and then re-threaded. This would limit the muzzle devices you could use because of the extra length needed to get it back to 16" or you would have to sell it off and cut your losses then replace the barrel with a new one.

Either way, this situation sucks and I'm sorry you have to go through it.

Edit: After reading Tom's offer on ARF.com, I highly recommend you take him up on it. He'll make it right and make sure you're happy. Spikes is Good People, trust them to do it right.

Regards.

Rowland Rivero
    Director of Product Development
    Adco Firearms LLC.
    6616 Monroe St. #4
    Sylvania, OH 43560

Fax 419.882.6627
    Phone 419.882.8079
    www.adcofirearms.com
    Last edited by rjrivero; 07-03-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast