Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Talking Ruger LCP polished feed ramp

Big thanks to JRS70 and TomE for sending me a PM about the Ruger LCP choking on hollowpoints. I put my Hornady Critical Defense .380 up for sale because the red tip kept getting jammed on the feed ramp and wouldn't feed every other round. I tried lubing the tips of the red rubber inserts, lubing the feed ramp, and it still did it. I was instructed to polish the feed ramp.

Here is my situation, didn't have a Dremel OR metal polish, so I figured what the hell, I'll try this anyway.

I found my girlfriends dremel-like nail finishing tool, but it only had grinding and diamond wheels in the kit, no polishing wheels.

I rummaged through or DVD refinishing kit where it has a little drill like tool with soft wheels for repairing scratched DVD's. I took the wheel, and pressed it over the tip of the diamond wheel until the diamond wheel was just under flush with the other side, it was a very tight fit.

I then looked around the house for polishing compound. I would have prefered to used Mothers or Flitz but didn't want to go out looking all around for it. I found Rubbing Compound made by Turtle Wax designed for removing scratches from paint on a vehicle.

I safety checked the gun, stripped it, and laid all the components out on the counter.

I took the barrel, dipped my finger into the liquidy rubbing compound and applied it to the feed ramp. I then went at it with the wheel on full speed, (which wasn't really that fast) The wheel turned black after about 10 seconds and then it started to pull all the bluing off. I kept the tool moving back and forth, and kept re-applying the rubbing compound. I polished the feed ramp, the top of the chamber where the nose of the bullet hits when feeding, and also polished the breach face where the firing pin is, there was a slight rust-like substance around the extractor and firing pin. I made sure no compound got into the firing pin channel.

I washed the barrel and rubbed away the exess compond and polished the feed ramp with a cotton t-shirt. Slapped the gun back together and test the Critical Defense and voila! It worked like a charm!

Not bad for a nail tool, and turtle wax compound eh? A little bit of improvising can save money and go a long way. Here is some pics, thanks for the suggestion guys!

Account Closed Forum User
    Glad to see it worked out . I had to but my sunglasses on ,the shine is so bright.

You may still want to put a Wolff 13 lb. recoil spring in her. Glad I could help.

Paul
    US Army Retired

It is the stupid we can't fix (Ron White). “said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use one.” Matthew Quigley- Quigley down Under- 1990

I think Wolff offers a recoil calibration kit with 11,12 &13 # springs , so you can choose you're own special level . I'll have to order one myself soon.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...s&cID=1&mID=52
    Last edited by TomE; 08-05-2011 at 08:37 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jrs70
    You may still want to put a Wolff 13 lb. recoil spring in her. Glad I could help.

Paul
    I checked out Wolff springs, they seem to be a great quality. What will the 13# spring gain in terms of performance? Thanks to the both of you again!

The" Experts "tell me it will reduce recoil ,help stop some Fail to Feed issues ,because it has more pressure to move the slide into battery , and make it harder to rack . You'll wind up putting skateboard tape in between the grooves on the back of the slide for grip , which wouldn't hurt anyway.

Ramped barrels were a design for ball ammo.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak
    Ramped barrels were a design for ball ammo.
    Would that be past tense or current ? I still have ball ammo in my LCP ,it shoots HP's fine though.

I am a Forum User
    Dude, POLISH THE WHOLE SLIDE!! Ha ha I seriously think it would look sweet!! Anyway good job on what u did so far. I didn't know about the feeding issues I have the same ammo in mine rn, guess I better fire off a couple clips of the good stuff, to see if mine had the same problems.
    Last edited by BattleCreeker; 07-07-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Why not just get a satin chrome slide?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast