Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    City of Wyoming, Kent County:
    Chief James Carmody WILL NOT sign any form 4's. I dropped off the form 4 application at the police department and within an hour received a call informing me that he is not signing any of them.

I am a Forum User
    City of Walker will no longer sign. She (CLEO) and other area L.E. went to some "meeting" where suppressors were discussed and has now changed her mind. Obviously drank the same cool-aid as the Wyoming and Grand Rapids CLEO's. Suppressors are legal and here to stay, they may as well get educated and used to it!

Kudos to the Kent Co. sheriff and his office, they "Get it!"

I don't want to spread a rumor, by I was reading over at "Subguns" forum last week that the ATF is eliminating the CLEO sign off.
    From what I read is that it is a done deal, just a matter of implementing the new forms into the system.

Do a google search for "CLEO sign off going away"

COPIED FROM ANOTHER BOARD...................................
    CLEO Requirement to be Discontinued

For enthusiasts of NFA-controlled firearms (e.g., machine guns, short barrel rifles and shotguns, suppressors), the requirement to get the local chief of police or sheriff's approval on the required Form 1 or Form 4 has been a problem. Started at the inception of the National Firearms Act, the idea was to get the person in front of the chief or sheriff - who was expected to know the "problem children" in his or her jurisdiction - to keep wackos from getting these special weapons. In the 30s through the 70s, that was potentially appropriate: there was no national computer database available at all hours to get criminal histories.

Now, someone buying a .22 rifle can have the National Instant (Background) Check (NICS) and leave the gunshop in fifteen minutes.

Since the CLEOs (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) approval was based on that person's supposed knowledge of local citizens and not whether or not the CLEO thought "people shouldn't own guns like that," it was (and is) often misused.

The National Firearms Act Trade & Collectors Association (NFATCA) has sought removal of the CLEO requirement for the last six years, according to NFATCA Executive Director and Board Member Jeff Folloder.

"There wasn't a lot of high profile aspects of the effort," he said in a phone interview. "It was a lot of drudgery and detail work trying to get the ATF to go along with removing that requirement."

They eventually did and ran the recommendation up to U.S. Department of Justice. The proposal was returned to NFA Branch for some clarifications. These were completed and the recommendation was sent back up.

Clearing the CLEO requirement off of Forms 1 and 4 has been approved by the DOJ. The revised Forms are being laid out and sent to Office of Management and Budget. They'll examine the proposed regulations and forms change and open the proceeding up for public comments. When that process is completed, they'll approve the printing run and disseminate the forms.

Something could happen to derail the process but it's not clear that anyone wants to. A problem does lurk if the proposed change - an apparently good thing - completes the bureaucratic process: There will be a run on NFA firearms from citizens who could legally own NFA guns but had a chief or sheriff who denied them the right.

snip.............................................. .............

Bob M

I am a Forum User
    Good info BobM
    I had read the same thing on Silencer Talk forum. Hope it's true. Let's all keep out fingers crossed. It can't happen soon enough.
    Last edited by 7.62 Nato shooter; 01-26-2012 at 09:40 AM.

I am a Forum User
    BobM, I've been hearing the same thing for a year now. I certainly hope that is the case. Please let us know if you hear any more news.

I am a Forum User
    With the way things tend to go in government I would not hold my breath.
    Maybe in another year or so it might actually be a reality.
    Let's all keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Again, we should be careful what we wish for. Remember the DOJ is headed by Attorney General Holder, who is beholding to Obama. Can any change that is approved by DOJ at this time be for the better? Why in the world would the current administration approve any measure that would make machine guns and supressors easier to obtain? Will concessions be made for this change to be approved?

Any proposed change to the forms should be published in the Federal Register and opened up to period of public comment, I suppose this is when all the anti-gun cleo's will have their fits.

As of the January 26 issue of the Federal Register I have not found anything regarding this change.
    Last edited by trapdoorman; 01-26-2012 at 04:16 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Muskegon County Sheriff signed - wanted to meet my customer, so we made and appointment.
    Once there, He signed 2 sets of forms for 2 cans while we talked about coyote hunting, in fact he ended up exchanging contact info with my customer, so they might hook to do some coyote hunting

I am a Forum User
    Oakland County Sheriff no problem got my forms back today.

Rich

I am a Forum User
    I was the 1st in Chesterfield Twp. I had to meet with a detective. No big deal.... got it back in the mail, signed, within a few days.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks guys. We're updated to this point. If you get a sign off or denial from a municipality or local PD, please include the county that municipality is in. It'll make things easier to update.

Thanks again.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast