Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MGO Member

State land target practice

Hi all,
    I'm fairly new to gun ownership and have been shooting at the ranges around my area for almost a year, just about every weekend. I have heard you could target shoot on State land and was curious about that. Where can you go to do that? Is there certain state properties you can? I have a CPL, and am mostly looking for someplace to shoot a pistol, although I did just buy a Mosin Nagant.

Russ

I am a Forum User
    Any state land thats open for shooting. Just take a target with you, make sure you have a safe backstop and then clean up after yourself.

I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowDog
    Any state land that's open for shooting. Just take a target with you, make sure you have a safe backstop and then clean up after yourself.
    This comes up all the time around here your statement is not completely accurate. Not all State land is legal to target shoot. There are threads on this here. And also the rules are quite easy to find. Instead of typing all this out again. I will tell you that State recreation areas that allow hunting are not legal to target shoot period. I'll give you an example- Highland lake recreation area yes legal to hunt but NOT legal to target shoot.
    Oak Grove state game area legal to hunt and legal to target shoot.
    Not all State land is treated the same in regards to target shooting.

http://www.state.mi.us/orr/emi/admin...pt=NR&RngHigh=

R 299.927 State parks and recreation areas; unlawful acts. Rule 27. In addition to the unlawful acts specified in R 299.922, in state parks and state recreation areas, it is unlawful for a person or persons to do any of the following:

A person shall not engage in target shooting, except on designated shooting ranges.

Spelling edit
    Last edited by Hawgrider; 12-16-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Account Closed Forum User
    And not all Public land is State owned. Most of the Public land by me if Federal, as in Manistee National Forest.

Get a colored County map of the area, look for the Fed land.

You can get a book of all the Michigan Counties.

Then plan your "Road Trip"

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TomE
    And not all Public land is State owned. Most of the Public land by me if Federal, as in Manistee National Forest.

Get a colored County map of the area, look for the Fed land.

You can get a book of all the Michigan Counties.

Then plan your "Road Trip"
    Manistee and Huron national Forrest are good to go. Just don't shoot across a two track or other road have a identifiable target. No shooting trees that will get you in trouble. No glass.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/hmnf/recreation/hunting
    Target practice with a rifle, handgun or bow and arrow is permitted provided you abide by all state and federal regulations.
    • A hunting license is not required when shooting at identifiable, artificially constructed tergets and/or when no attempt is made to take game.
    • Discharging a firearm is prohibited across or on any Forest Development road, body of water adjacent thereto, or where any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of the discharge.
    • All trash must be packed out, including shell casings and targets.
    • Glass targets are prohibited.
    • Target shooting with a rifle, handgun or shotgun 5 days prior to deer rifle season is prohibited.

It looks like lots of folks violate rule #5

thanks for the link

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TomE
    It looks like lots of folks violate rule #5

thanks for the link
    Your welcome.

I agree. A lot have forgotten about the 5 day quiet period before firearm deer season. Its been that way since I was a kid and before.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDog
    Any state land thats open for shooting. Just take a target with you, make sure you have a safe backstop and then clean up after yourself.

Alot of people forget about this TOO.

I am a Forum User
    Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by mjerickson
    Alot of people forget about this TOO.
    A tarp or bedsheet will catch the brass if located properly

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast