Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    If it were all State owned land, I've got a 75'x1000' strip of land that runs between my neighborhood and the highway. Don't think the neighbors would appreciate that though...lol

I am a Forum User
    Hi folks.
    New to this forum and joined specifically to get an answer to this very topic.

Where can I find a map that shows what land it's legal to shoot on?
    I live in white lake and while the pontiac range is awesome for precision stuff it doesn't allow you to "plink".

I've read through this whole thread and I'm still confused, sorry

I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by TmP
    Hi folks.
    New to this forum and joined specifically to get an answer to this very topic.

Where can I find a map that shows what land it's legal to shoot on?
    I live in white lake and while the pontiac range is awesome for precision stuff it doesn't allow you to "plink".

I've read through this whole thread and I'm still confused, sorry
    Its fairly simple. State recreation areas like Pontiac Lake rec Highland Lake rec, Island Lake rec no target shooting you must use the DNR ranges. State Game areas like Oakgrove (north of Howell) State game area yes you can target practice. Federal land Like Huron National forrest up near Hale/Glennie yes you can target practice. There are several threads on this topic. Try a search on this forum and you should find the other threads. But beware of these know it alls that claim anywhere hunting is allowed target shooting is allowed. They have no clue what there talking about.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the info! Oakgrove is like 30 minutes from me. Very nice
    I assume that's shotgun and rimfire only, correct?

I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by TmP
    Thanks for the info! Oakgrove is like 30 minutes from me. Very nice
    I assume that's shotgun and rimfire only, correct?
    Nope you can shoot your rifles/handguns Just make sure of your backstop and use identifiable targets. Don't shoot glass or the trees. in fact you can hunt with them as well. So long as its not firearm deer season. Of course a squirrel taken with a 30-06 might not provide much for the dinner table but its legal to use your rifles in the shotgun zone for small game season. Oak grove is nice off of Wiggins road for some distance shooting. There is a couple of nice fields at the first parking area on the right while heading north on Wiggins rd.

I am a Forum User
    I will DEFINITELY check that out. Can't wait
    Not a hunter right now, might consider starting, but for now I'm plenty happy killing paper

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Hey guys, curious about something. We just moved to an area with a shooting range on state land and there doesn't seem to be any supervision, rules or anything. Anybody know about this? Just curious about the basic rules for all shooting ranges on state land. I've seen little kids there, people shooting outside of hours etc. Doesn't seem super safe.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by msufan8 View Post
    Hey guys, curious about something. We just moved to an area with a shooting range on state land and there doesn't seem to be any supervision, rules or anything. Anybody know about this? Just curious about the basic rules for all shooting ranges on state land. I've seen little kids there, people shooting outside of hours etc. Doesn't seem super safe.
    The DNR has rules posted at the Lapeer Pit. If shooting hours aren't followed, the sheriff is there to deal with it. To the best of my knowledge no one has ever been hurt there. I think the bigger problem is neighbors incessantly calling the sheriff and making false complaints.

First! Holy Necro Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by msufan8 View Post
    You have listed your location as Allegan, is this State Land a Recreation Area? There are very strict rules about that.

If it is National Forest, or State Game area, there are almost no rules, other than the general State laws on possession or discharge of firearms, or if there are specific rules posted for that piece of land (a land use order). Individuals are expected to be safe and supervise themselves. The mere presence of children means nothing, most of us here would encourage teaching the basics of firearm handling and marksmanship as soon as the youth has an adequate attention span. And the general rule for shooting times are from one hour before sunrise until one hour after sunset, the same as general hunting hours. To some people, "super safe" would never allow a firearm to be unlocked, uncased or loaded and never if a child was within a mile of the location of the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by cmr19xx View Post
    The DNR has rules posted at the Lapeer Pit. If shooting hours aren't followed, the sheriff is there to deal with it. To the best of my knowledge no one has ever been hurt there. I think the bigger problem is neighbors incessantly calling the sheriff and making false complaints.
    Those rules, as posted at the Lapeer State Game area, ONLY APPLY to the Lapeer State Game Area.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    I really want to check this place out. (The Pit) I hate that I live quite a distance away from it though. There is no where that I know of anywhere near Flint that I can just set up a target and shoot. Well, outside of going to one of the gun ranges. I go to Williams quite often, but I would really love to just go somewhere outdoors and just shoot. Ive checked the DNR site but cant seem to get a clear fix on where exactly I can shoot without having to travel to do so.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast