Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

50 cal sabot 30 cal bullet?

What do you guys think of a longer 300 grain 30 caliber bullet in a 50 cal sabbot. The idea being better be

I'm happy with Powerbelts. 50 cal bullet with no sabot = big hole in deer. I guess if you were shooting 200-300 yards a sabot and a longer barrel might make sense. I've never shot a sabot out of my modern pistols or rifles. I'm not sure how a smaller hole in a deer would help me when using black powder since I hunt at short range.
    - Joe

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryansoleary
    What do you guys think of a longer 300 grain 30 caliber bullet in a 50 cal sabbot. The idea being better be
    Is there such a sabot made?

I checked MMP and their smallest diameter projectile sabot for the fifty starts at .429.

.30 cal bullets are in line with .36 caliber bores.

Could you put a 44/45 cal sabot inside the 50 cal sabot?
    - Joe

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by joelansing
    Could you put a 44/45 cal sabot inside the 50 cal sabot?
    - Joe
    That is a thought. I do believe the people involved in smokeless inlines have experimented with double sabot loads with success.

But I thought of another problem with the OP question.

Who makes a 300 grain .30 bullet?

Precision Rifle sells a "duplex sabot" to shoot a .357 projectile. The big problem with doing this is that your muzzleloader was not designed for a projectile with these dimensions. Your twist rate is probably around 1:28" which is fine for .45 cal projectiles. .300 to .357 (depending on length) require a tighter twist rate. Bottomline your accuracy will suffer

Do any of you old people remember the day of the Remington Accelerator? It was a 22 in a 30.06 Sabot. It was very cool. It was also dumb. It cost so much, and didn't kill anything any deader than a plain 30.06 bullet. OMG, they still make them http://www.midwayusa.com/product/220...oint-box-of-20

Just use a 50 cal bullet in a 50 cal. Makes sense to me.
    - Joe

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by joelansing
    I'm happy with Powerbelts. 50 cal bullet with no sabot = big hole in deer.

+1. Power belts are sweet. The farthest I've had a deer run is about 20 yards after the shot through my TC Omega.

I am a Forum User
    The dimensions of a .308" x 300gr bullet are going to be ungodly. Just a quick calculation but you're looking at a round nose bullet that is almost 1.75" long (pointed or boat tail would be longer). Take a gander at a 223 Remington case, that's ~1.75" long. Then you could/would run into some issues with the bearing surface of the sabot against the bore of the rifle, difficulty loading subsequent shots in a fouled bore, etc. On top of that you have to consider getting the axis of a long bullet like that perfectly aligned with the center of the bore to have a chance at it stabilizing. 1-28" twist rate of a stock barrel probably isn't right for a .30 cal bullet, not enough meat far enough out to properly stabilize spinning that slow. I'm sure it could be done but one of the main reasons ML's work as well as they do is because they drill a big hole. With the velocities a ML works at, you can't depend on a small caliber projectile to reliably expand.
    Sorry, you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by topflitecop21
    +1. Power belts are sweet.
    -1. There's plenty of testimonials out there that beg to differ.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Quack Addict
    -1. There's plenty of testimonials out there that beg to differ.
    Make that -2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast