Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Raven Concealment Vanguard 2

I just got my preorder Vanguard 2 holster yesterday and I really like it. I am, well no sugar coating, fat and this is the most comfortable IWB holster I have tried so far. I carry at a 3 o'clock position because it is uncomfortable to carry in appendix and it seems to be the most comfortable and useful. Up until this point the most comfortable holster IWB that I had found was the Crown Jewel IWB holster. I have tried stuff from crossbreed and galco, Raven Phantom inside the waistband, Crown Royal with IWB clips and loops, and a few others as well. When I was carrying a smaller gun I used a Crown Royal type that he made for me for my LC9 and that worked well, but when I switched to a Glock 19 IWB the holsters I tried rode higher and pushed on the magic love handles/spare tire and pushed down on my pants so they were constantly at an angle and I was always pulling my pants up. The Jewel solved this problem by sitting a little bit Closer to the belt line and has been quite comfortable for the last 8 months or so that I have been wearing it. The Vanguard 2 sits a bit closer to the belt line like the Jewel, but because there is even less material it just seems more comfortable to me. I wore it all last night and today and have done a lot of drawing with a blue gun and my G19 and it seems to hold the gun well. So, while i work on being less fat this seems like the most comfortable option for me right now. I know comfort is not the only reason to use a holster and carry a gun, but if it isn't comfortable it makes me less enthused to wear it all day and my safety is important to me. For training purposes at the range I will probably still use the Jewel some since it will be a little more efficient and easier for reholstering and it carries the gun in just about the same position. I have serrations on top of my slide and enhanced side cuts front and back and I don't feel anything digging in through my undershirt or underwear. If I was going commando it might be a little different.....

I will update as I wear it more and when I go to the range to do some shooting with it.

A review and some pics
    http://soldiersystems.net/2012/01/24...l-vanguard-ii/
    Last edited by thenewguy199; 03-01-2012 at 02:46 PM.

I am a Forum User
    I got mine today, i like it. It still takes a back sit to the phantom.

I am a Forum User
    cool and innovative idea.. it should be patended..

I am a Forum User
    does anyone know how stable it is as far as keeping the pistol from sliding around or rocking back and forth?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by franny365
    does anyone know how stable it is as far as keeping the pistol from sliding around or rocking back and forth?
    I only had a day and a half of wearing out and about. There was a little wiggle and play. Nothing to worry about. Iam impressed that this little guy is adjustable for cant. It holds my g23 snug.

I am a Forum User
    One hour and thrity eight minutes from Camp Perry.
    I read some other reviews too and it appears to be a really good system. It's a shame you can't order one. I don't know what the problem is but whatever it is Raven needs solve it quickly or at least let folks place an order. This is a very compulsive hobby and if you come out with a product and don't have supply your toast. And now that good reviews are coming out not allowing orders to be placed does not make Raven look very organized. I mean it's not even on their web site! This just opens the door for the competition who I'm sure is in the process of making something to compete.

They should start building them for the M&P series pretty soon. I would hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman
    I read some other reviews too and it appears to be a really good system. It's a shame you can't order one. I don't know what the problem is but whatever it is Raven needs solve it quickly or at least let folks place an order. This is a very compulsive hobby and if you come out with a product and don't have supply your toast. And now that good reviews are coming out not allowing orders to be placed does not make Raven look very organized. I mean it's not even on their web site! This just opens the door for the competition who I'm sure is in the process of making something to compete.
    Thanks for the concern, but you're missing a few pieces of the puzzle.

The item isn't officially "launched" for retail sale yet. We are finalizing details with the attorneys for product literature, packaging, etc. We opened a small run of them for pre-sale for people who have been following the project. This was a way to give back to our Facebook followers.

Supply is most certainly not an issue. There are thousands of these things on our shelves just waiting for final approval from the legal team.

The item is patent pending.

Account Closed Forum User

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by thenewguy199
    For training purposes at the range I will probably still use the Jewel some
    You should not attempt to reholster a loaded gun into the vangaurd 2, it is not meant to be a training/reholsterable system.

That being said I received mine the other day and practiced with it all day before I carried it the last two. I did try to reholster into it many times(unloaded gun) just to see how bad of an idea it was. While holding my cover garments high and out of the way I caught my tucked in t-shirt in the trigger guard most of the time I attempted it. It says in the insert that it came with not to insert a loaded gun into it even when loading for daily carry and I would definitely not try to reholster into it.

Right now I have it riding as high as it can appendix carry 1-2 oclock. I'm going to try it on the middle setting again and see if I can still get high enough on the grip without canting it forward. The first time I tried the middle setting I didn't care for the purchase I got on the grip so I tried canting it forward a bit and it seemed like the gun wanted to come out of the top of the vanguard because of the added weight shift in that direction. Could have just been how I was wearing it combined with bending, twisting, getting up and off the couch, and in and out of the car while testing but for me it seems to be about a 1-2 degree for ward cant right now riding on the high 3rd setting.

I also tried it with different belts and found there to be differences in the way it rides. With my ares belt it doesn't move or cant on its own. When I was wearing a generic leather belt from kohls, still 1.5", it would want to cant a little on its own because the belt wasn't filling the width, away from the body, to the belt loop. I did take the tail of the belt and move it into the loop so there was essentially two layers of belt and then it didn't move. As always a good holster needs a good belt.

I think the Vanguard 2 has a good purpose for saving the added holster material up front for appendix carry. Also for those who don't carry at home and are just 'running to the corner' and usually wont throw on a full holster. I do plan to get an ACR rig for training and prob full time appendix carry but when I have both I'll evaluate both aspects and continue to test the V2. So far I do like it and it does ride comfortable. I don't mind that it was released on facebook. It's the new market place for a newer generation of marketing. That's how I got one

MGO Member
    I wish Raven would be just a little more original...oh wait

Anyways, love the fact that you guys keep coming up with more and more innovative and interesting products advancing the field. I'm still saving up for the AIWB...at least by the time I can afford that and get it, I can start saving for the M&P edition of the VG2, p.s. love the stickers

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast