Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Sobering night at range

Our local club has a .22 plate shoot every Friday night. Lot of shooters, lot of activity, everybody on guard for safety. We've even taken to splitting the roles of the person running the shoot from someone recording the results.

Before a shooter is allowed to step away from the line, magazine out, bolt locked open.

New shooters get lots of help and attention with safety... But one of the club's more experienced top shooters managed to shoot himself tonight. Especially scary for me, because I was sitting approximately 5' away from him, with the muzzle loosely pointed in my direction. Luckily, his leg provided the backstop.

Back to to our experienced shooter. The person running the event double checked the slide was locked open. Even my wife said she saw it was open... BUT, nobody checked to ensure the magazine was out. He was carrying a sweatshirt, his .22, several magazines, and a medicine bottle (that's a concern of mine). Pure speculation on my part, the magazine wasn't empty, he fumbled with all the crap in his arms, slide got released, and his match grade trigger needed to be breathed on and it released the hammer.

2 RN's and an EMT shooting with us. The .22 passed through his medicine bottle, the sweatshirt, his pants and landed in his leg. Even tho it was somewhat in a dangerous area, it apparently did not hit an artery.

EMS can not come in until LEO ensures the room is clear. He walks in and says, "are there any firearms here?" LOL Most but not all were all ready put away, we confirmed any that were still out were completely cleared.

Like I said, def a sobering night. Club needs to take a step back and review the safety procedures, especially with so much activity going on.

I am a Forum User
    Wayne County?

Banned
    Well, first rules are often first rules broken.

You have to know everybody that was there will be more diligent about making sure that after the safety is engaged, the mag reall does come out and then the slide is locked to the rear.

Now the "expierienced shooter" will have an experience to talk about that was obviously painful. At least he lived and learned.

Thanks for the reminder.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Cackler
    Now the "expierienced shooter" will have an experience to talk about that was obviously painful.
    I know who this happened to, he is a very experienced shooter... shows anyone can have a momentary lapse of awareness and trigger discipline. Be vigilant.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelKurtz
    I know who this happened to, he is a very experienced shooter... shows anyone can have a momentary lapse of awareness and trigger discipline. Be vigilant.

I agree. That is precisely why I thanked the OP for the thread. It can happen to any of us.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for sharing. We didn't have to be there to take the lesson now.

Thank God it was a 22 not a 45
    Gary J. Kramer
    W8ACP
    NRA Life member - NRA RSO
    Member Howell Gun Club
    God Bless Our Troops....Especially Our Snipers

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Scary. I'm glad I decided to stay home at the last minute.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster
    Scary. I'm glad I decided to stay home at the last minute.
    Safe decision... But, it is one lesson that will stick with me for awhile.

Yep, event "experts" can have ND...

Glad he ok... Great way to over look the SOP of the range... See what can be done to correct the mishap.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast