Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    I often here how the "unloaded guns" are the ones that are involved in the accidental shootings..

I am a Forum User
    Glad he is okay. Why don't they check to see the mag is out, slide is clear then call slide forward hammer down to make sure. That way if for some reason there is a round that gets chambered that no one knows about it is fired down range in a safe direction?
    Is this not how they practice at IDPA and ISPCA matches or am I mistaken? I'm Not trying to start an argument just expressing my opinions and extra gun safety.

I am a Forum User
    If this is Wayne County, I shot there about 3 years ago, twice, never felt safe and never went back.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli61089
    Glad he is okay. Why don't they check to see the mag is out, slide is clear then call slide forward hammer down to make sure. That way if for some reason there is a round that gets chambered that no one knows about it is fired down range in a safe direction?
    Is this not how they practice at IDPA and ISPCA matches or am I mistaken? I'm Not trying to start an argument just expressing my opinions and extra gun safety.
    rimfire, not a good idea to dry fire... but I understand the safety concerns.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli61089
    Yes, in IDPA and USPSA (IPSC) matches, the Range Officer askes the shooter "If you are finished, unload and show clear. If clear, hammer down and holster". This puts the responsibility of having the weapon unloaded on the shooter. If he points it downrange and it still goes bang, he is disqualified from the competition. That being said, rimfire pistols are not allowed in either of these types of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by partdeux
    rimfire, not a good idea to dry fire... but I understand the safety concerns.
    Repeated dryfiring of rimfire pistols will have an adverse effect on the firing pin. Link

As shown by this illustration, the firing pin is poised off-center to crush the rim of the case. If we remove the cartridge case entirely, the hard-steel firing pin then impacts the hard steel chamber wall. Having this happen a few times over the life of the gun may not do anything. But repeated strikes can and (eventually) will cause the gun to fail.

Without a cartridge case in position, the firing pin can break or the tip can be peened bad enough that it fails to retract. Worse, is that the firing pin acts as a chisel, carving a groove or dimple in the chamber wall. If this cut is deep enough, it’ll allow the soft brass to deform under the firing pin and prevent the cartridge from igniting.

It is the damage to the chamber wall that is most expensive (and sometimes impossible) to fix. Damaging the firing pin is usually correctable, unless the part is no longer available or it has caused other damage to the gun. And the easiest way to avoid this kind of damage to your gun is do not dry fire any rimfire firearms.
    The club's Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) should be updated to state that for all rimfire weapons, the Range Safety Officer (RSO) must look into each chamber to verify that the weapon is unloaded. It should also include the use of a chamber flag for every weapon. They don't need to be expensive, just a short length of brightly colored heat-resistant plastic tube that fits into the barrel and sticks out the ejection port. Insert it into the chamber after being checked and before leaving the firing line.

That's the way it is at our club. All our RSO's are NRA certified and follow our highly detailed operating procedures to the letter. A new RSO has to spend 6 training sessions with the "seasoned" RSOs before we let the new guy out there on his own. Everyone also has to re-certify at the club every two years.

Safety first, last and always. We all know why. You can't whistle a bullet back.

HH

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GMAN12
    If this is Wayne County, I shot there about 3 years ago, twice, never felt safe and never went back.
    i am no longer a member for many safety reasons. all to do with the back room and how they operate it. one time there was a 14 year old carying a loaded concealed glock that was his dad's, and i was told it was ok because his dad is a cop. BS on that one. and the second time there was a gentleman who had a issue at the match on friday night that threatened me and my son, in front of a whole group of people. iam really sad someone got injured but by the way things are handled around there its not supprising. i hope the gentleman who was injured fully recovers from it.

Account Closed

Question

Quote Originally Posted by partdeux
    He was carrying a sweatshirt, his .22

What kind of .22?

I am a Forum User
    I don't understand people you look in the chamber line of sight you look down the magazine well and back then watch it close on an empty chamber.....

its not complicated, its really not. I'm going to get in trouble again down the road for slapping someone for being stupid..... kinda got in trouble at boot camp for it (but hey everyone gets ITed right?) at OCS the Gunnery Sgt just laughted at the fool and said "thats why you don't point guns at Marines" no he did not graduate from OCS.

I've been nearly banned from a range for getting mad at someones lack of safety (loading a 1911 at my chest I started screaming as soon as it left my chest) apparently screaming like a Drill instructor on a live fire range isn't appreciated. its a 1911 to load it the safety is off, I didn't see the problem.

i've chilled out a lot since I was 21 but it still makes me mad.

Thanks for sharing, hope the guy has a fast recovery....

A good rule I follow, and I can see it not working for competition where you are only allowed a ceretain number of shots or have to stop shooting because of a time limit, but shoot till the gun is empty.....

Anyways, enough from me...

I am a Forum User

DARN

Quote Originally Posted by Shyster
    Scary. I'm glad I decided to stay home at the last minute.
    It could have been -1 on the attorney side!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast