Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home Guide(CPL COURSE)

After reading some recent threads about some of the training that MGO members have received from NRA instructors so they can get their CPL, I have decided to make this post for the people that have not went to the class yet or are thinking about it.

This information only applies to the NRA Certified course and DOES NOT APPLY to ANY MCOLES instruction.

First things first:

State Law:

(1) A pistol training or safety program described in section 5b(7)(c) meets the requirements for knowledge or training in the safe use and handling of a pistol only if the program consists of not less than 8 hours of instruction and all of the following conditions are met:

(a) The program is certified by this state or a national or state firearms training organization and provides 5 hours of instruction in, but is not limited to providing instruction in, all of the following:

(i) The safe storage, use, and handling of a pistol including, but not limited to, safe storage, use, and handling to protect child safety.

(ii) Ammunition knowledge, and the fundamentals of pistol shooting.

(iii) Pistol shooting positions.

(iv) Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force. This portion shall be taught by an attorney or an individual trained in the use of deadly force.

(v) Avoiding criminal attack and controlling a violent confrontation.

(vi) All laws that apply to carrying a concealed pistol in this state.

(b) The program provides at least 3 hours of instruction on a firing range and requires firing at least 30 rounds of ammunition.

(c) The program provides a certificate of completion that states the program complies with the requirements of this section and that the individual successfully completed the course, and that contains the printed name and signature of the course instructor. Not later than October 1, 2004, the certificate of completion shall contain the statement, “This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372.”

(d) The instructor of the course is certified by this state or a national organization to teach the 8-hour pistol safety training course described in this section.

(2) A person shall not do either of the following:

(a) Grant a certificate of completion described under subsection (1)(c) to an individual knowing the individual did not satisfactorily complete the course.

(b) Present a certificate of completion described under subsection (1)(c) to a concealed weapon licensing board knowing that the individual did not satisfactorily complete the course.

(3) A person who violates subsection (2) is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years or a fine of not more than $2,500.00, or both.

(4) A concealed weapons licensing board shall not require that a specific form, color, wording, or other content appear on a certificate of completion, except as provided in subsection (5), and shall accept as valid a certificate of completion issued prior to the effective date of the amendatory act that added this subsection that contains an inaccurate reference or no reference to this section but otherwise complies with this section.

(5) Beginning October 1, 2004, a concealed weapons licensing board shall require that a certificate of completion contain the statement, “This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372.”.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

That is pretty straight forward if you decide to train with a certified MCOLES instructor.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Now in order to complete the NRA Certified PPITH course so you can apply for a CPL there are different standards. (not the states fault but its the NRA Curriculum) THESE ALL MUST BE FOLLOWED BY THE NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR, IF YOUR CLASS DID NOT MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS THEN THE INSTRUCTOR HAS NOT TAUGHT THE LESSON PLAN THE WAY THE STATE APPROVED IT AND HAS COMMITTED A FELONY.

NRA PPITH Course Requirements:

The Course Length: at least 8hrs included in this is 3hrs of range time. (Remember State Law)

Lesson 1: Introduction to Defensive Shooting
    Lesson 2: Basic Defensive Handgun Skills
    Lesson 3: Firearms and the Law: (POSSESSION, OWNERSHIP AND THE USE OF DEADLY FORCE.) This does not include war stories and when i was a (insert whatever here) situations.
    Lesson 4: Strategies for Home Safety and Responding to a violent Confrontation.
    Lesson 5: Selecting a handgun for Self Defense
    Lesson 6: Sport Shooting Activities and Training Opportunities
    Lesson 7: Course Review and Examination.

Now, If you DID NOT cover these subjects, You DID NOT complete the course and you DID NOT meet the State requirements to apply for your CPL (see section 2, part B above)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    NRA PPITH Course of Fire

The NRA PPITH Course requires 98 rounds of ammunition
    Here is the MINIMUM Course of Fire

If you DID NOT shoot at least what the pictures above show,You DID NOT complete the course and you DID NOT meet the State requirements to apply for your CPL (see section 2, part B above)

Remember this in reguards to the NRA PPITH: The NRA Certified Instructor can ALWAYS add to his/her class but they CAN NEVER TAKE ANY OF THIS AWAY.

Oh and one more thing: WATCHING A VIDEO DOES NOT COUNT AS INSTRUCTION FOR A NRA COURSE. THE COURSE MUST BE TAUGHT IN PERSON BY A CERTIFIED NRA INSTRUCTOR.

Remember guys and gals, It's your hard earned money, at least look for the trainers that might be able to make your time and money worth while.

Dont forget to register with some of the great companies and trainers on MGO for some more advanced training as well!

ETA: If I missed anything (I did this kind of fast and to the point) let me know and we can get this right for our future CPL holders
    Last edited by MICPL; 04-19-2012 at 05:08 PM.

I am a Forum User
    To add to this IF you are caught teaching a bad class in Livingston county you have very high chances to be charged by the procecutors office.

I am a Forum User
    Well done.

I am a Forum User
    Nicely done,

I am a Forum User
    I was unaware that I did not get the proper PPITH class until I took the instructor course. If "they" only knew. Thanks, very well written.

I am a Forum User
    ALSO as a side note- There is no expiration of a certificate other than the verbage that pertains to "This course complies with" ALL gun boards should be aware of this and I am ashamed of any that claim they dont.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you for adding this for ALL to see.
    Brad

I am a Forum User
    Chesterfield & Algers (Secord Lake, Wildwood near Lost Arrow)

How Do They Know

Good Post,

Someone once told me; "There are a lot of bad instructors out there".

How would some uninitiated person driving down Gratiot who sees a sign posted CCW 'call XXX-XXXX know that he was going to get inferior training.
    Most persons would sign up on impulse instead of checking the NRA site, MGO or some other legitimate reference to good training. Most gun shops direct customers to trainers but this does not necassarily mean they are good or qualified instructors. Most do not require a copy of Basic or even proof of previous shooting experience.
    I've taken the PPITH course 5 times in the last two years and priviously just for the knowledge, extra learning experience and to see if I could improve my teaching.

There are a lot of bad instructors out there!
    Last edited by MC_Driver; 01-02-2013 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Grammatical Error

MGO Member
    Explain this....

(iv) Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force. This portion shall be taught by an attorney or an individual trained in the use of deadly force.

I know that some people believe that "an individual trained in the use of deadly force" means cop but the statue does not say that. The statute does not specify the type or scope of training in the use of deadly force, just that someone has been trained. Consequently, couldn't anyone "trained in the use of deadly force" be qualified to teach this section?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac
    Explain this....

I know that some people believe that "an individual trained in the use of deadly force" means cop but the statue does not say that. The statute does not specify the type or scope of training in the use of deadly force, just that someone has been trained. Consequently, couldn't anyone "trained in the use of deadly force" be qualified to teach this section?
    The way the law is written, yes.
    MCRGO Concealed Pistol License Safety & Training Instructor.
    NRA RSO & Certified Instructor Basic Pistol, PPITH (CPL), and PPOTH.
    Criminals don't care, not about your life, not about your stuff, not about your animals.....
    They are like politiicans, as long as they get what they want, they don't care.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast