Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    MGO Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by ltcnav
    I just completed the Instructor course (BIT),Instructor for Basic Pistol, and Instructor for PPITH. So, I am obviously NOT an expert, however the Instructor Trainers were very explicit that the legal part of the PPITH MUST be taught by a lawyer, that no police officer meets the NRA requirements in Michigan. I am going to abide by this when I teach, as this is what I was taught. However, a LOT of courses I am aware of do not abide by this, most of my friends who took an NRA course had the legal taught by a retired LEO. What say you?
    I contacted the NRA regarding this and was told in an e-mail that it was between the Lesson III instructor and the State as to whether they were qualified to teach this.

  2. #22
    MGO Member Tallbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lincoln Park
    Posts
    11,422
    So, if I wanted to notify the NRA about a "sub-par" instructor how would I go about doing that?

    And has anyone ever notified the gun board that the class didn't satisfy the law ?
    Mike"Tallbear"Thiede

    Own it Respect it Secure it


  3. #23
    MGO LIFE Member MP Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sterling Heights
    Posts
    7,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallbear View Post
    So, if I wanted to notify the NRA about a "sub-par" instructor how would I go about doing that?

    And has anyone ever notified the gun board that the class didn't satisfy the law ?
    I would assume so, people have been charged with violating the law if they don't meet the requirements in the statute.

  4. #24
    MGO Member pistoltraining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oakland County
    Posts
    401
    Email the Training Dept. They take it seriously and will follow up. Give them as much detail as posible


    Quote Originally Posted by Tallbear View Post
    So, if I wanted to notify the NRA about a "sub-par" instructor how would I go about doing that?

    And has anyone ever notified the gun board that the class didn't satisfy the law ?

  5. #25
    MGO Member Tallbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lincoln Park
    Posts
    11,422
    Quote Originally Posted by MP Miller View Post
    I would assume so, people have been charged with violating the law if they don't meet the requirements in the statute.
    There was an instructor charged a couple months ago but I didn't know if it was a student that reported it or someone else.

    So, if I report the instructor to the gun board on what I have been told by the students in the class, would they investigate on "hearsay"? Any gun board "members" on here that can help out?
    Mike"Tallbear"Thiede

    Own it Respect it Secure it


  6. #26
    MGO Member Tallbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lincoln Park
    Posts
    11,422
    Quote Originally Posted by pistoltraining View Post
    Email the Training Dept. They take it seriously and will follow up. Give them as much detail as posible
    Used the "on line" area for asking questions in the training area last week and haven't heard back yet.
    Mike"Tallbear"Thiede

    Own it Respect it Secure it


  7. #27
    MGO LIFE Member MP Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sterling Heights
    Posts
    7,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallbear View Post
    There was an instructor charged a couple months ago but I didn't know if it was a student that reported it or someone else.

    So, if I report the instructor to the gun board on what I have been told by the students in the class, would they investigate on "hearsay"? Any gun board "members" on here that can help out?
    From a law enforcement perspective, an investigation can be initiated on hearsay. But it would be up to the gun board.

  8. #28
    In Memoriam mikeb32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Westland
    Posts
    12,928
    Quote Originally Posted by MP Miller View Post
    From a law enforcement perspective, an investigation can be initiated on hearsay. But it would be up to the gun board.
    I see two trains of thought going on here.

    I believe the NRA, after a complete investigation, would do nothing more than to pull the Bad Instructors Credentials.

    I see the Gun Board being the one who would seek a more substantial Punishment for the Individual reported to them.

    I could be mistaken, but just My
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

    NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

    NRA RSO

    NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

    Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

  9. #29
    MGO LIFE Member MP Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sterling Heights
    Posts
    7,267
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb32 View Post
    I see two trains of thought going on here.

    I believe the NRA, after a complete investigation, would do nothing more than to pull the Bad Instructors Credentials.

    I see the Gun Board being the one who would seek a more substantial Punishment for the Individual reported to them.

    I could be mistaken, but just My
    I agree. It depends on the specifics of the situation. If the class is just done poorly with bad information it may still meet state and NRA requirements.

    If the law is violated, meaning the state minimum requirements for a CPL class are not met, you should bring it to the gun board.

    If only NRA guidelines are violated, you can bring it up to the NRA but don't hold your breath.

  10. #30
    MGO Member Tallbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lincoln Park
    Posts
    11,422
    Quote Originally Posted by MP Miller View Post
    I agree. It depends on the specifics of the situation. If the class is just done poorly with bad information it may still meet state and NRA requirements.

    If the law is violated, meaning the state minimum requirements for a CPL class are not met, you should bring it to the gun board.

    If only NRA guidelines are violated, you can bring it up to the NRA but don't hold your breath.
    Law section presented by video (DVD). Class was instructed to bring 50 rounds of ammo. Range time was approximately one hour.
    Mike"Tallbear"Thiede

    Own it Respect it Secure it


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
only search Michigan Gun Owners Forums
MGO's Facebook MGO's Twitter