Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    I apologize for bump an old topic...
    I have strongly considered having some sort of lock box or hidden compartment in my Miata. Just can't get past the convertible "easy to break into" problem.

One of the few negatives that I have found to offset the fun factor of my car.
    For that reason I don't even lock it or keep anything at all inside the passenger compartment or trunk. Some day I fully expect to have the cheap $50 stereo stolen while I am at WalMart.

My father had a convertible back in the 70's and two different times the top got cut with a knife so somebody could steal the 8 track tapes he kept sitting in plain sight. He finally figured out the most practical course was just to leave it unlocked because a few tapes were much cheaper than replacing the soft top.

With a lock box my worry is that somebody would see something that they think might be worth their time and trouble to cut an opening in the soft top to unlock the door and check it out. For them it is a 30 second decision that would cost me $1000 and hassle to fix even if they did not find anything worth stealing.

Oklahoma (and other states that allow it) have restrictions on where the weapon can and cannot be carried. To stay legal a concealed carry person does need to have a secure method to store the pistol at those times. To me, the trunk of my Miata does not feel particularly secure but is still more secure than a pickup truck.

For all you folks who live in places where owning and/or carrying a pistol for personal defense is not legal, all I can say is "It sucks to be you".
    Having a choice on owning a firearm is good because each person can make an individual decision as to how much personal safety they want to take upon themselves and how much they want to depend on other people or law enforcement. My wife has nothing to do with firearms and that is her personal decision and I respect her for her choice to be passive. That said, the time she was scared for her safety she was real quick to get me to stand between her and the danger. Guess a husband is good for something even with a "liberated" woman.When I travel, that compartment is loaded with all kinds of stuff making it impractical to access a safe. Based on my personal needs, and fully understanding the limitations of cable safes and less expensive gun vaults, I opted for the Gunvault V500 Vehicle Gun Safe I was able to get it for $99 with free shipping. It attaches via cable to the driver's seat rails, is accessible from the front seat, is easy to unlock and has a secondary mechanical key lock, and offered the best value for the value of the gun stored within. I seldom have to use it, and I never leave anything in it overnight.
    Last edited by Frlall; 10-07-2018 at 01:55 PM.

I am a Forum User
    For anyone checking on this thread now, there's some wicked console safes available for suburbans/yukons...made by a company called Lockr down.

Quote Originally Posted by Frlall View Post
    I apologize for bump an old topic...
    I have strongly considered having some sort of lock box or hidden compartment in my Miata. Just can't get past the convertible "easy to break into" problem.

One of the few negatives that I have found to offset the fun factor of my car.
    For that reason I don't even lock it or keep anything at all inside the passenger compartment or trunk. Some day I fully expect to have the cheap $50 stereo stolen while I am at WalMart.
    same thing with my BMW, fortunately you can't get into the trunk from inside the car without the key. I always leave the cabin unlocked in case someone decides to break in. Unfortunately, left my gun in my trunk the one time I had a gun pulled on me in traffic

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by smitdawg View Post
    For anyone checking on this thread now, there's some wicked console safes available for suburbans/yukons...made by a company called Lockr down.
    I'd hate to be the one attempting to enter the combination in a hurry or under duress! Not to mention in the dark or without my reading glasses! Wonder how that knob-lock would stand up against a pair of Channellocks or a pipe wrench?

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I would not ever store a firearm in a vehicle for no other reason than visible safes are an added "Steal Me!" incentive for thieves and even totally hidden safes quickly become the property of thieves.

A few years back I watched a porch cam of two thieves breaking into a locked, alarmed vehicle. Took them less than 30 seconds between touching the vehicle until the made off with a small, steel handgun safe tucked beneath the driver's seat, and yes, it was bolted to the floor. Thin steel bends easily to Archimedes principle.

The best security for a firearm is a Level II retention holster and an alert gun-owner walking it into the house.

for a rifle, Shotlock AR solo-vault
    Name:  911063390.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  73.5 KB

2012, 2018, 2019, 2020

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    2012, 2018, 2019, 2020
    Safes never go out of style, and people will always have questions concerning the safe storage and security of their possessions.

Sometimes these ancient threads can provide value.

And, sometimes, they provide a means of boosting one's post count.

MGO Member
    I know it is on the high side for cost (I paid about $500 years ago) but I bought a Truck Vault gun safe while I was driving a ford explorer and then transferred it to a Yukon and still love it after 12+ years. Just a basic standard height safe is 8" and is wide enough to hold most rifles and a couple hand guns without taking up much room (just 8"across the bottom of the cargo area). You can order them with most common exterior colors so they match your car or SUV interior color and they are heavy enough someone is not walking away with them.

https://truckvault.com/

I regularly shoot and transport weapons' that I cant afford to lose so I though it was worth it, by buddy said it was stupid to spend that much and installed a underbed safe and attached it to the cargo tie downs so it did not walk away and is happy with that set up for a couple hundred dollars. I suppose it all depends on the number of weapons, size of weapons, and how often you are going to use it whether or not it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    2012, 2018, 2019, 2020

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast