Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Elbow Pads and Shorts

Three in my family are going to the Houghton Lake Appleseed in August. On the list of suggested equipment, they list a shooting jacked or elbow pads. I don't own shooting jackets for the three of us, so I was wondering what other people were using for elbow pads. Also, becuase of the heat in August, I wonder what people think about wearing shorts instead of long pants. Any advice from people who have already gone would be appreciated.

I am a Forum User
    Never been to an Appleseed or to Houghton Lake to shoot but I imagine the long pants are because of A) possible insects/ticks, B) hard/rough ground, C) prone shooting in close proximity to other shooters and the possibility of hot brass on the backs of legs...

Elbow pads could probably be as simple as the cloth covered knee pads the use in volleyball or basketball ...

MGO Member
    I am an instructor and I will be at the Houghton Lake shoot in August. I was also at the HL shoot in June.

Elbow pads and long pants are suggested because we spend a lot of time shooting from prone and getting up and down. Soft elbow pads are recommended in that the hard ones tend to roll around a bit on hard ground. I've seen people simply cut the end out of white cotton sock and slip it over their elbow as a pad, sometimes over a piece of foam rubber, sometimes not.

Many people shoot in shorts in hot weather so it is ok and suggested in order to stay cool. My suggestion is dress for the weather (that included rain gear if necessary) but have provisions to protect your elbows and knees if necessary.

Bring a shooting pad or something to lay on. One for each person. Piece of carpet, exercise pad, foam sleeping pad (not the inflatable kind though) work well. Something light colored is preferable. Dark colors adsorb heat so anything you lay on that is dark is gonna get hot laying out in the sun all day. That includes rifles. I suggest bringing a light colored beech towel to protect the pad and/or rifle from the sun. Also helps with sweat.

Staying hydrated is also very important. Sunscreen, insect spray will make life more comfortable. There is shade there and we will use that as much as possible during breaks.

See ya on the line! Look forward to meeting you and family.
    Last edited by Garymac; 07-19-2012 at 09:52 AM.