Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Court Upholds Handgun Sale Ban for Those Under 21

Court Upholds Handgun Sale Ban for Those Under 21

Raven Clabough
    The New American
    October 26th, 2012

"The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that it is not unlawful to ban licensed firearms dealers from selling handguns to people under the age of 21. The decision proved to be a blow for the National Rifle Association, who brought the issue to court. The court’s decision upheld a September 2011 ruling by District Judge Sam Cummings in Texas.

The ban in question permits individuals under age 21 to possess handguns they’ve received as gifts, or purchased from private owners, but prohibits licensed firearm dealers from selling weapons to those under 21."

How young is too young?

I am a Forum User
    I bought my first handgun legally at the age of 18 through a private party sale. I still don't understand why the govt is ok with people under the age of 21 buying a pistol from a complete stranger, but not from a licensed dealer. Is there any sence to this law or am I correct in thinking that this makes absolutely none?

I am a Forum User
    Same here, I got my first GLOCK 23 Gen 2 right after I turned 18. My mother actually bought it for me then gifted it to me a couple days later.

Within another month or two I also picked up an HK USP .40 and a MAC-11 9mm, also gifted via my mother.

I really don't understand WHY you have to be 21 to buy a pistol. I surely never got in any trouble with any of the guns I got before I turned 21. If anything owning guns made me more responsible. I was to scared something would happen and I would get into trouble that I was more selective about the people I was friends with, I didn't want to do drugs or even drink beer. I kept my noise clean because I REALLY enjoyed owning them and shooting guns.

There have been a couple occasions in my life where I had the opportunity to do something stupid, or was along with people who started to do something stupid and I simply walked away because I thought, damn if these idiots get caught, get me caught, I'll loose my 2nd amendment rights!

Banned Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibear1992
    I bought my first handgun legally at the age of 18 through a private party sale. I still don't understand why the govt is ok with people under the age of 21 buying a pistol from a complete stranger, but not from a licensed dealer. Is there any sence to this law or am I correct in thinking that this makes absolutely none?
    it's because federal government cannot control intra-state transactions. If they could it would be +21 for all handguns purchases and NFA purchases

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by kdogg
    If anything owning guns made me more responsible. I was to scared something would happen and I would get into trouble that I was more selective about the people I was friends with, I didn't want to do drugs or even drink beer. I kept my noise clean because I REALLY enjoyed owning them and shooting guns.

There have been a couple occasions in my life where I had the opportunity to do something stupid, or was along with people who started to do something stupid and I simply walked away because I thought, damn if these idiots get caught, get me caught, I'll loose my 2nd amendment rights!

That's how I feel. Once I took an interest in firearms I tried to stay out of trouble a little harder. I don't want to lose my CPL. If I had been into shooting as a hobby when I was 18 I would have gotten into far less mischief. What does this law accomplish anyway?

I am a Forum User
    I think the NRA took this knowing it would be a loser and use it as a campaign tool.

YMMV.