Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Lapeer Pit General Info

THE LAPEER PIT WILL BE CLOSED FOR CLEANUP ON MAY 6TH, 2018 8:30AM-1:00PM- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED AND ENCOURAGED
    FOR FURTHER INFO ON CLEANUP OF THE PIT PLEASE SEE THIS THREAD AND DIRECT ANY QUESTIONS THAT DIRECTION

Lapeer Pit General Info
    (Last Update: 4/28/17)

**If anyone has additions/changes to the information here, please PM me to change/update it.**
    ---------------
    First, to those that don't know, the Lapeer Pit is a public shooting area within the Lapeer State Game Area in Mayfield Twp, MI (Lapeer County). http://www.michigandnr.com/publicati...er_SGA_map.pdf

The exact location is below. This land is open for anyone to use at will, provided the below referenced rules are followed. It is important that we, as residents and sportsmen, respect this area and maintain it to a professional standard as it may not only hurt our image, but may lead to such shooting areas being shut down.

-Google Map with GPS and Address range
    -Or, as of right now, it is a location on Google Maps (don't know who added it) and can be found here: http://goo.gl/maps/lD4pF

-It is located on the east side of Roods Lake Road, just north of Vernor Road in Lapeer, MI. The easiest way to access it (that I know of) is to come off of M-24 (Lapeer Rd). Turn east on Daley Road, north on Roods Lake Road, and the Pit will be on your right about a half a mile north of Vernor Road. Roods Lake Road turns into a dirt road at Vernor Road. Though dirt, it may be accessed this way MOST of the year without problem, damage, incident, etc with any vehicle. Like any well used dirt road, in the winter use caution with the hills.

-Those familiar with the Lapeer Dragway on Roods Lake Road, the pit is located just north of the dragway. From the dragway, continue north on Roods Lake Road past Vernor Road and the pit will be on the east side of the street (opposite the Dragway).

*A word of caution, though it appears that you may access the Lapeer Pit from the north side, be advised that the road in that area is an unimproved road (not maintained by the county) and at times in great disrepair. If you are looking at a map, it is the road that turns to the east at the north end of Roods Lake Road and runs to Fish Lake Road, the actual name of that portion is Byers Road. During certain times/seasons, that portion of the road becomes a two-track at best and impossible to use at worse. Also, reports have stated in the past that cell signal along that stretch can be non-existent. ENTER FROM BYERS ROAD AT YOUR OWN RISK!

HOURS/SEASONS:

-Per the Land Use Order (referenced below) in place the hours are 9:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. or sunset, whichever is earliest.

*Please use common sense with hours. Even as a firearm enthusiast I wouldn't be thrilled with a machine gun shoot starting down the block from my house at 7am on a Sunday just because the sun is up.

-There are no "official" closures for seasons. During the summer you will find it more crowded but there are plenty of us that use it year round. It is a dirt road and a sandy parking lot, use common sense on the vehicle you bring. During 90% of the year, almost any vehicle should be just fine. (I've even seen a classic Corvette parked there)

RULES AND RELATED LAND USE ORDERS:

*CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF AND TAKE HOME WHAT YOU BROUGHT*

- It is important that we all cooperate while using this land and act like responsible adults while using this land.

- To change out targets, request a cease fire and make sure everyone acknowledges you. Use common sense when doing this as to not annoy others by interrupting their shooting session.

- Common sense rules the range; If someone yells a cease fire, abide. If someone is down range, don't touch your firearms. One rule needs to rule all others, act like adults.

- Outside of the basic legal rules (littering, etc.) the Lapeer Pit has some other rules issued in the Land Use Order (referenced below) regarding target shooting, contained in those orders are the below rules:

A person shall not do any of the following at the Lapeer pit shooting area:
    - Use aerial targets for target shooting.
    - Use clay targets for target shooting unless the targets are on the ground at the base of a berm.
    - Target shoot in front of concrete barriers between the barriers and the earthen backstop.
    - Enter, use, or occupy the area when gates are closed
    - Target shoot at other than a paper, cardboard, or commercially-produced portable target designed and manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting.
    - Use or attempt to use:
    (a) Incendiary or explosive targets.
    (b) Incendiary or explosive ammunition.
    (c) Armor piercing ammunition, as defined by section 224c of 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.224c.
    (d) Tracer ammunition.
    (e) A firearm, other than a pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, hand-held firearm or a muzzle-loading firearm.
    (i) A muzzle-loading firearm shall not exceed .80 caliber.
    - Target shoot before 9:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m. or sunset, whichever is earliest, or as posted without the
    written permission of the department.
    - Possess or be under the influence of a controlled substance or alcohol or a combination of a controlled
    substance and alcohol while target shooting.

A summary and video about the rules of the Lapeer Pit can be found here from the DNR: https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/195bcdd

THE BELOW ARE THE RELATED LAND USE ORDERS THAT GIVE US THESE RULES:

3.2a State game areas and wildlife areas, target shooting, prohibited conduct.
    Order 3.2a A person shall not do any of the following on those state lands named in the list in order 3.1a (Lapeer State Game Area in listed here), subject
    to additional provisions as may be provided in these orders:
    (1) Target shoot at other than a paper, cardboard, or commercially-produced portable target designed and
    manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting.
    (2) Use or attempt to use:
    (a) Incendiary or explosive targets.
    (b) Incendiary or explosive ammunition.
    (c) Armor piercing ammunition, as defined by section 224c of 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.224c.
    (d) Tracer ammunition.
    (e) A firearm, other than a pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, hand-held firearm or a muzzle-loading firearm.
    (i) A muzzle-loading firearm shall not exceed .80 caliber.
    (3) When skeet and trap shooting, use other than clay targets and shot size BBB or smaller, unless posted
    otherwise.
    (4) Target shoot before 9:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m. or sunset, whichever is earliest, or as posted without the
    written permission of the department.
    (5) Possess or be under the influence of a controlled substance or alcohol or a combination of a controlled
    substance and alcohol while target shooting.
    (6) This section does not apply to designated shooting ranges, as defined in order 3.19.
    History: Iss. Aug. 11, 2016.

3.31a Lapeer pit shooting area, Lapeer county, prohibited conduct.
    Order 3.31a For the purposes of this order, the Lapeer pit shooting area shall mean the shooting area upon stateowned
    lands in the north half of the southwest quarter of the southeast quarter of section 10, and the south half of the
    northwest quarter of the southeast quarter of section 10, T08N, R10E, Lapeer county.
    (1) Subject to additional provisions provided in this order, a person shall not do any of the following at the Lapeer
    pit shooting area:
    (a) Use aerial targets for target shooting.
    (b) Use clay targets for target shooting unless the targets are on the ground at the base of a berm.
    (c) Target shoot in front of concrete barriers between the barriers and the earthen backstop.
    (d) Enter, use, or occupy the area when gates are closed
    (2) This section shall not apply to department employees, designees of department employees, or fire, emergency,
    or law enforcement personnel performing official duties. .

These orders can be found on the DNR's site: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dn...s_398540_7.pdf

(To find it easily, hit CTL+F and type in the order number given above)

Name:  14264097_1089154101133961_3632448215473325950_n.jpg
Views: 14421
Size:  80.5 KB

OTHER INFO:

-As I have said, it is up to us to keep this land clean, usable, and professional in appearance and use. Abide by the above rules and use a lot of common sense and your trip will go smoothly. The "Pit" of old is a little different these days with the target restrictions. Different people have different feelings, but it is important to follow the rules in place so the whole place isn't closed for good.

-Clean up after yourself and take home whatever you bring. Yes, there are plenty of people that collect brass from the Pit but trash, targets, and the like need to be gone when you leave. The pit IS NOT cleaned by the DNR on a regular basis. Over the years locals have used/maintained their own trash cans up there, but I am unsure who is doing it now (if at all).

-If someone is acting irresponsibly, please try to politely correct their actions. Everyone there should be adult enough to resolve issues when they arise. When all else fails, LE is one phone call away.

-The local DNR Field Office that oversees this area is below:

Lapeer DNR Wildlife Field Office
    3116 Vernor Road, Lapeer, MI 48446
    TX: (810) 664-8355.

CONSIDERATIONS/WARNINGS:

-Over the years there have been reports of someone leaving 2x4s full of nails at the entrance to the Lapeer Pit. This is an old warning, but if no one is there when you pull up, it wouldn't hurt to double check before entering. If there is any damage, or you find a homemade "spike strip", please report it.

-Though everyone should be an adult and responsible on the range, we all know this isn't 100%. Made sure to watch your back when down checking/changing targets. I like to leave someone back at the firing line or by the truck for this reason. This is especially true when someone is behind the shorter mound and is not visible. ALWAYS verify the range is safe, hot, and no one is down range before you start to fire.

THANKS TO: Roundballer, Shadow120, Oldmann1967, and Shurhouse for the proofreading and additions/changes that they suggested.

Thanks to CBW2 for making me aware of the new rules! (12/6/16)
    Last edited by Korey5640; 04-21-2018 at 12:35 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks to all that helped on the 2014 clean up! See below for info om 2015's effort.
    Last edited by Korey5640; 04-03-2015 at 12:16 PM.

I am a Forum User
    --
    Last edited by Korey5640; 06-02-2016 at 12:52 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Updated 12/6/16 with new rules/land use order.

I am a Forum User
    THE LAPEER PIT WILL BE CLOSED FOR CLEANUP ON MAY 6TH, 2017 8:30AM-1:00PM- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED AND ENCOURAGED
    FOR FURTHER INFO ON CLEANUP OF THE PIT PLEASE SEE THIS THREAD AND DIRECT ANY QUESTIONS THAT DIRECTION

*Updated 4/21/18
    Last edited by Korey5640; 04-21-2018 at 12:36 PM.