Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FNAR Opinions

Having extra boxed ammo available to reload is pretty straight forward. Where you keep it, so that you can get to it if something bad actually happens is another story though. Even the LMG's only had belts of 200 rounds per can and that goes down the pipe pretty fast if the shooter has a heavy trigger finger... Have you tried lugging that stuff around in a shootout ?

I don't see the need for all the magazines. After trading fire for 2 or 3 mags worth, the bad guys better be dead, have given up and run to the neighboring county or they are going to be kicking your butt... The thought that one is going to have the luxury of holing up somewhere while pouring out all that firepower makes me think that said person has never been on the receiving end of even a fraction of the same firepower. Even 40 rounds worth of 308 is going to take apart anything but solid reinforced concrete. And if you can't carry it and move, you will be dead.

I have been on the receiving end of a very modest amount of firepower several times during my service and our vehicles were relatively land mine resistant and armored against all the small stuff but a few specialized AP bullets. The only thing that counts when you face a fearless enemy is accurately placed rounds. The misses don't count for squat. The whole "suppressive fire" thing makes me laugh. That is precisely the tactic our enemies use on us western wussy boys who have no skin in the game. We are the ones who are scrambling when some bullets come flying in our general direction....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by westcliffe01
    Having extra boxed ammo available to reload is pretty straight forward. Where you keep it, so that you can get to it if something bad actually happens is another story though. Even the LMG's only had belts of 200 rounds per can and that goes down the pipe pretty fast if the shooter has a heavy trigger finger... Have you tried lugging that stuff around in a shootout ?
    I don't see the need for all the magazines. After trading fire for 2 or 3 mags worth, the bad guys better be dead, have given up and run to the neighboring county or they are going to be kicking your butt... The thought that one is going to have the luxury of holing up somewhere while pouring out all that firepower makes me think that said person has never been on the receiving end of even a fraction of the same firepower.
    you dont need mags for one fight, you need them to last years. If there is every a problem like riot up to revolution you do not have an army supply chain. You may not even have electricity.

Even 40 rounds worth of 308 is going to take apart anything but solid reinforced concrete. And if you can't carry it and move, you will be dead.
    True.

I have been on the receiving end of a very modest amount of firepower several times during my service and our vehicles were relatively land mine resistant and armored against all the small stuff but a few specialized AP bullets. The only thing that counts when you face a fearless enemy is accurately placed rounds.
    Suppressive fire does seem like a waste unless there is a whole steamer trunk full of ammo near by.

The misses don't count for squat. The whole "suppressive fire" thing makes me laugh.
    I mostly agree, but i do not have the training to be an expert. I mean it has its role, but if you run out of ammo, or are in more than one fire fight per day, unloading into clay walls seems pretty wasteful if the end result is not a few bodies.

That is precisely the tactic our enemies use on us western wussy boys who have no skin in the game.
    Western wussy boys?
    1. Speak for yourself, that actually is borderline racist/bigoted. 2. No skin in the game? If one is over there, even on a base putting tires on humvees you still have a skin in the game. I have two super close buddies that were in iraq for 2 years 40-60 miles outside bagdad mostly, front line door kicking. They said it was just the opposite. They would get shot at, pot shots from 400 yards or more, and the iraqis would miss by 100 ft, and bullets would hit the wall 100 ft in front of where they were walking. Both guys were there on the front lines for 2 years and never even killed anyone as they said the iraqis did not like to engage man to man with the US army, and instead choose to pick on iraqi police who in comparison had no skills or training. Talk about cowards. That and the whole IED thing, and you damn near are ready to right poems about how brave the iraqis are. Jeez what a bunch of BS.

We are the ones who are scrambling when some bullets come flying in our general direction....
    We or you ? As i said above and as any combat vet should know, well one who served over there anyways, they love IEDs, and taking pot shots. Hell i have seen dozens dare i say hundreds of incidents on tv of troops running towards fire, and also running towards known IEDs (there could be more than one and they do not care) to secure the area and keep other tropps and local yokels away. Then they risk life and limb to destroy it.

lol the iraqis insurgents and afgans do no even have to worry about IEDS from us.

Anyways keep the coward and running away and general wussie stuff first person. I do not think 2 of my 5 best buds would appreciate it. I have a number of other friends and classmates over there among them an army ranger, and an translator, and my old neighbor his best buddy since we were about 7 and 10, his buddy is a sniper. I want to say he said the bounty on them is 50k just for his rifle, and 250k for his head. He is not a wuss, he is a stone cold badazz.

I'm not trying to offend and when I say "us" I include myself in that grouping.

"We" typically do not live where the fight is going down, and "our" focus is to survive the deployment, however long that may be, but certainly not a lifetime. Thats why I said "we have no skin in the game". We may think that what we are doing is patriotic and will ultimately benefit the residents of the country, but that picture becomes a lot more fuzzy with time.

When you then add the typically overwhelming force of US combat operations, air support, air re-supply, medevac, etc etc, it is quite a different perspective than seeing things from the eyes of the "partisan", who chooses to fight anyway.

MGO Member
    I took delivery of the FNAR on Monday. The first thing I did was take it down completely and gave it a thorough cleaning. I also removed the receiver rail and remounted it using Locktight and did the same thing with the forend rails too. I mounted a 3-9X40 Bushnell Trophy Scope with weaver rings that I had on hand. Along with the rifle, I had ordered a half dozen different boxes of ammo. I tested it out yesterday getting it close at 10 yards, then moving back to 40 yards for more scope adjustments, and then back to 90 yards (the max on my backyard range). Using my varmint style rest, I was able to shoot 1" 3-shot groups with all the different loads I had except for the FMJ Winchester loads, which opened to 2"+. The gun has amazingly low recoil and muzzle jump for a 308. It should make a great hunting rifle.

MGO Member
    As a follow up, my FNAR continues to be my favorite rifle. I have only used it to hunt coyotes since I have not had a deer tag left in for firearm deer season in many years. It is super accurate especially with Federal Fusion 150 grain ammo, which it will shoot one hole groups with at 100 yards. I have never shot a firearm as accurate. There is nothing I don't like about this rifle except for the oversized, 5 round magazine (same size as 10 round). I moved and joined a club with a 200 yard range and this rifle really performs as 200 too. I have yet to shoot it beyond 200, but I'd like to try it on a 1000 yard range near my deer camp.

I am a Forum User
    Have a chance to get one of these used for rather cheap. I watched a disassembly video on YouTube, which looks insanely laborious. How often are you owners doing this? Can I just run a cable and patch through the barrel after shooting and call it good, then just do a once a year disassembly and detail for this thing?

MGO Member
    I have only dissembled it once since I got it and that was when it was right out of the box. Since then I just clean the barrel and what I can easily get to with a patch and forceps. I've yet to have a failure of any kind with it, but I have only run perhaps 10-15 boxes through it so far. I just don't have much time to shoot these days. That will all change later this year when I retire. I do plan to take it down after my next shooting session though. It really was not that bad to do.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234