Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Mailing a firearm back to the manufacturer...

A friend of mine is trying to mail his .22lr rifle back to Keltec to get worked on and the USPS office in downtown Grand Rapids is refusing to mail it. He has tried several times even showing them all the pertinent laws etc that state that you can. They just keep saying my supervisor says no, my supervisor says no... etc. etc...

What can he do to force these dolts into complying with law and mailing his rifle back?

I am a Forum User
    http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

432 Mailability
    432.1 General
    The following conditions apply:

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.
    The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.
    Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
    Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—61 and
    18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.
    Exhibit 432.1

Mailability Requirements for Firearms

Unloaded Handgun

Handguns — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3–7):

Addressee: Officer of Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.
    Addressee: Officer of National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.
    Addressee: Officer of the federal government or a state, district, or territory whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.
    Addressee: Postal Service employees specifically authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.
    Addressee: Officer or employee of a U.S. enforcement agency.
    Addressee: Watchman engaged in guarding federal, state, district, or territory property.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by chief clerk of department, bureau, or independent branch of the government agency employing the addressee.
    Addressee: Purchasing agent or other designated member of an enforcement agency employing officers and personnel included in c, d, or e above.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of agency stating the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee cited in c, d, or e above.
    Addressee: Licensed manufacturers and dealers of firearms.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Signed statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms.
    The mailer must be a licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer.

Handguns may be mailed without regard to the requirements noted in items a–h if the addressee is the FBI (or its Director) or a scientific lab or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers, or state, district, or territory officers authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

Manufacturers or dealers must complete PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, and file with the postmaster.

Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to their PCSC for a ruling.

Unloaded Rifle or Shotgun

Short-barreled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.

The mailer must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968 and with state and local laws.

The Postal Service may require the mailer to open the parcel or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.

Registered Mail service is recommended.

Unloaded Antique Firearm

Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing.

432.2 PS Form 1508
    PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, must be completed by each firearm manufacturer or dealer who deposits firearms for mailing. The form must be filed with the postmaster of the post office of mailing.

432.3 Packaging and Marking
    No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms. Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1–8.

I am a Forum User
    Try a different post office.

Account Closed Forum User
    Take it to a gunstore and have them mail/ship it for you
    Last edited by TomE; 01-24-2013 at 12:26 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Even when I was just sending a couple actions through the mail I had some difficulty at first. I went to my closest UPS store. I had the actions packaged already, and on the form you fill out there is a place for firearms. So I checked that and all the other necessaries, gave it to the lady behind the desk. She's reading, and says that their office can't send out firearms. She told me to go to the other UPS store on the other side of town and they gave me no problems about it at all.
    It may all depend on insurance liabilities or other technical issues on the business end of things. I'd say try other facilities, or ask them if they know which ones can send firearms.

Ben

MGO Member
    When you take a gun to be shipped they do not need know what it is. There is nothing that say's you need to tell them.

You only need to answer the questions about dangerous products, nothing else.

NEVER EVER put anything on label or shipping box that would make a reference to guns, firearms ect.. ......Example......MGO Gun Shop and Sports.... PUT.....MGO SPORTS....
    Then they could be golf clubs in the box.

Get a FedEx account you get a 20% discount for shipping on line and all you do is box it put a label on it Go to FedEx put it on the counter and walk out the door you don't even need to talk to anybody.

I am a Forum User
    UPS ships them to the manufacturer.

Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by DTrain
    A friend of mine is trying to mail his .22lr rifle back to Keltec to get worked on and the USPS office in downtown Grand Rapids is refusing to mail it. He has tried several times even showing them all the pertinent laws etc that state that you can. They just keep saying my supervisor says no, my supervisor says no... etc. etc...

What can he do to force these dolts into complying with law and mailing his rifle back?
    Ask to speak to the Postmaster, not a supervisor.

I am a Forum User
    I Fed ex'd my Taurus back to Florida

I am a Forum User
    USPS clearly has signage that they won't ship firearms. no matter what you do it's just a lot of and . I used to work for them and policy is policy with them. When I had to send my M&P back to S&W, I used FedEx. The guy working there said they do it all the time, and they thanked the USPS for not doing it, becuase it gave them a lot more business. You have to be careful though. Not all FedEx locations will ship firearms. The FedEx/Kinko's won't, so go to a FedEx center. Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast