Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User

HB 4283 use of rifle in shotgun zone

HB 4283 of 2013
    Natural resources; hunting; use of certain firearms during firearm deer season; allow. Amends sec. 43526 of 1994 PA 451 (MCL 324.43526).
    Last Action: 2/19/2013 referred to Committee on Tourism

looks about the same as last year. It has the stupid 1.16-1.8" cartridge length regulation in there. Which means that a .380/9x17mm Walther PPK/S would be acceptable, but a 9x19mm from a carbine with a 16" barrel isn't "powerful enough".

It is an improvement over what we have now, but still ridiculous.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Divegeek
    looks about the same as last year. It has the stupid 1.16-1.8" cartridge length regulation in there. Which means that a .380/9x17mm Walther PPK/S would be acceptable, but a 9x19mm from a carbine with a 16" barrel isn't "powerful enough".

It is an improvement over what we have now, but still ridiculous.

WAT? .380 is shorter than 1.16.

What they need to do is open it up to all leaver action rifles or at least make the length longer to include the 45-70. This does include the .357 mag and 44mag though.

I am a Forum User
    Who should we e-mail/call ? Who are the committee members? List them and I will call...

I am a Forum User
    looks like rep. Matt Lori introduced the bill
    124 N Capitol Ave Lansing, MI 48933
    (517) 373-0832

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchpa
    Who should we e-mail/call ? Who are the committee members? List them and I will call...
    Tourism:

Peter Pettalia (R) Committee Chair, 106th District
    Ken Goike (R) Majority Vice-Chair, 33rd District
    Hugh D. Crawford (R) 38th District
    Bob Genetski (R) 80th District
    Bruce Rendon (R) 103rd District
    Dave Pagel (R) 78th District
    Robert Kosowski (D) Minority Vice-Chair, 16th District
    Charles Brunner (D) 96th District
    John Kivela (D) 109th District

Maybe suggest that the lower length be moved to 0.75 to include .38sp and 9x19, and still keep the .380 out.

This same bill, introduced by the same rep, passed the house last year 106 to 2. The bill died in the Senate.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    And the .30 M1 Carbine. I can use it or my Blackhawk in .30 Carbine up north, neither one down here. This is an opportunity to include it in the handgun listing as well.

There are so few cartridges that meet the criteria it'd be simpler just to list them instead of using caliber and Min/Max length.

What is included here? Common ones would be 9mm, .38 special .357, .40 Smith, .41 mag, .44 special, 44 mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, what am I missing? Not sure you could even find a long gun for .38 or .44 spec, never looked. Maybe I'll get an Auto Ordinance Thompson, that'd be fun to hunt deer with....
    Last edited by Walther; 02-20-2013 at 01:41 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Walther--H&R makes a handi-rifle in .357 and .44

I am a Forum User
    Walther - there are .357 leverguns that will use .38spl - I wonder if some of the .44Mag leverguns will accept .44spl as well.

I am a Forum User
    The reality is this has little to do with ballistics, and much to do with safe gun handling/shooter education and responsibility. A knucklehead with a .22 is much more dangerous than your typical sportsman with a 30-06. The Pennsylvania study is the only scientific data that deals with the subject; it clearly shows that rifle, shotgun, and ML are very similar when it comes to downrange dangers.

I live in the middle of a state game area, and every season there are a couple of folks that give me cause for concern, but it never has anything to do with what gun they are carrying. Some folks would be dangerous running around with a stick in their hands.

CB

Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast