Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394546474849
    I am a Forum User
    But............the topic is rifles, not pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaneyD View Post
    But............the topic is rifles, not pistols.
    But the argument is valid when some try to claim that a 9mm carbine isn't powerful enough

I am a Forum User
    A 9 is powerful enough. I remember hunting deer with a .22mag back in the sixties.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by art View Post
    from the guide...
    Rifles in the Limited Firearm Deer Zone
    Centerfire or rimfire rifles may be used Dec. 1 – Nov. 9 in the Limited Firearm Deer
    Zone (see pg. 12) during the open season for all species, except deer, turkey,
    and migratory game birds. Certain rifles capable of using .35 caliber or larger
    ammunition, with a straight-walled cartridge that has a minimum case length of
    1.16 and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches and a .35 caliber or larger air rifle
    or pistol charged only from an external high compression power source (external
    hand pump, air tank, or air compressor), may be used in the Limited Firearm Deer
    Zone when taking deer.
    I think the key wording in the guide is "certain rifles capable" seems to pretty much eliminate the use of trimmed cartridges.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jason meekhof View Post
    I think the key wording in the guide is "certain rifles capable" seems to pretty much eliminate the use of trimmed cartridges.
    I think 'certain rifles' pertains to rifles capable of firing 35 caliber or larger that use straight walled cartridges. Trimming has nothing to do with it.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaneyD View Post
    I think 'certain rifles' pertains to rifles capable of firing 35 caliber or larger that use straight walled cartridges. Trimming has nothing to do with it.
    I think it's the capable part that matters if the gun is capable of firing a cartridge that doesn't fit the guidelines you may be in trouble. Ie: the trimmed 45 70 is by itself legal however the rifle is still capable of firing the full sized cartridge so the rifle does not fit the rule.

I am a Forum User
    Don't come crying when they take your rifle, and give you a ticket......

I am a Forum User
    I just picked up a 1982 "vintage" H&R Handy GUN II in 357MAXIMUM with the Electroless Nickel finish. I will be carrying that loaded with a homecast 180grain Wide Flatnose bullet stoked by a max dose of Vhit N-120. I am happy as a pig rollin in it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jason meekhof View Post
    I think it's the capable part that matters if the gun is capable of firing a cartridge that doesn't fit the guidelines you may be in trouble. Ie: the trimmed 45 70 is by itself legal however the rifle is still capable of firing the full sized cartridge so the rifle does not fit the rule.
    Don't read what's not there. It says "Certain rifles capable of using .35 caliber or larger ammunition, with a straight-walled cartridge that has a minimum case length of 1.16 and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches ", not "Certain rifles that are only capable of firing commercially available ammunition, etc etc. Remember, there is no law saying you can OC in Michigan, but we can because there's no law stating you can't. Same thing here.

While I don't believe it's illegal, I also wouldn't want to risk having to spend thousands of dollars defending my position in court.

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394546474849