Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Lead exposure mitigation

Being at least 40 minutes from the nearest outdoor range, I've been spending a lot of time at indoor ranges and recently have become concerned with lead exposure. Normally, I wouldn't really worry about these things, but my wife and I are trying for a baby soon and apparently lead exposure in the father can cause issues for the child, and that, frankly, does terrify me.

I was wondering if you guys have any experiences on lead exposure, including possibly having high lead levels come back in blood tests, what your procedures for "decontaminating" after shooting, any masks or filters you wear during shooting, etc.
    Last edited by reshp1; 03-04-2013 at 10:33 AM.

MGO Member Forum User
    Most indoor ranges around here have sufficient ventilation to make exposure not an issue. Always wash your hands after you finish at the range. If you are really concerned, take a shower when you get home and put on clean clothes. If you are truely concerned, get your blood tested now so you have a baseline to go from if you are worried about over exposure.

Account Closed
    I think the dangers, and fear of Lead is a little over hyped, just like Mercury. While both are toxic, and dangerous if not handled properly, a little common sense goes a long way.

All legitimate indoor shooting ranges are required to meet OSHA Safety Standards. They must have approved ventilation systems, with filters that are maintained regularly. The use of lead bullets is way down from what it used to be. FMJ copper jacketed bullets usually do not shed much lead.

I've worked with, or around lead (and Mercury) numerous times. I've worked with lead acid storage batteries for cars, and electric fork trucks, golf carts, and early generation electric vehicles. I've worked with wheel weights for balancing tires.

I've cast, and used lead sinkers for fishing. I fired countless shot gun rounds, both shot shells, and slugs, back when they were all lead. I shot in many indoor ranges all my life. Several years of that was on a pistol league, shooting cast lead bullets. After shooting sessions my hands would be black. Before we were told of the dangers of lead, I use to frequently eat a few donuts after shooting, in a situation where I could not wash my hands! I also cast my own bullets for several years, collecting scrap lead, breaking it up, melting it down, pouring it into molds, swaging it, etc.

I grew up in a home with lead paint, lead curtain weights, lead water main pipes, lead toys. I've drank beer from Pewter mugs. I've worked with lead solder doing sheet metal work, copper plumbing work, and a significant amount of soldering electronic components. I've worked with the old cast iron sewer pipe, where you would pour lead into the fitted pipe couplings.

So by all accounts, I should be dead! But I'm 62 years old, and I've been tested for lead, and results were negative. I suppose you could where those disposable white face filters while at an indoor shooting range. Inhaling through your nose, rather than your mouth, helps also.

Do a search there was a long involved thread on this topic last winter.

Bottom line you should be concerned. Me and 4 other people all tested very high on lead. All from the same indoor gun club.

One guy had to have transfusions to get his level down. I had to take meds and stay off the range for 6 months.

Using a brass cleaner indoor is also a huge source of lead and can hurt your entire family.

If you are serious go to your doc. for a simple blood test.

And BTW--- the older gun clubs have all been grandfathered from the laws governing air flow etc and DO REPRESENT A SERIOUS THREAT.

Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganShootist

Bottom line you should be concerned. Me and 4 other people all tested very high on lead.
    What were the symptoms?

MGO Member Forum User
    Sinking when swimming... Weight gain...

Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by jmanz6
    Sinking when swimming... Weight gain...

Now that I think about it, my old boss used to tell me I needed to get the lead out of my ass!

I am a Forum User
    Google: 'Home Remedies for Lead Poisoning"

You may have symptons and may not. I had none but when I heard others were testing high I went to my doc.

Some are head aches, inability to sleep well, swings in mood, problems with urinary activity.

Only way to know is a blood test.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganShootist

Bottom line you should be concerned. Me and 4 other people all tested very high on lead. All from the same indoor gun club.

One guy had to have transfusions to get his level down. I had to take meds and stay off the range for 6 months.

Using a brass cleaner indoor is also a huge source of lead and can hurt your entire family.

If you are serious go to your doc. for a simple blood test.

And BTW--- the older gun clubs have all been grandfathered from the laws governing air flow etc and DO REPRESENT A SERIOUS THREAT.
    Thanks for the info. The two ranges I go to most are pretty well ventilated (Double Action and Target Sports). I plan on getting the lead test soon, too bad I didn't think of this earlier since I just had a physical in January.

Do you have a link for the thread? I can't seem to find it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast