Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member Forum User

Exclamation Appleseed Full-Distance event at Atterbury - FREE AMMO!!!

This will be a full-distance event. Bring your centerfire rifles and see what you and your rifle can do at distances out to 500 yards.

Every shooter will be provided with 250 rounds of ammo (.223 or .308 ), and will have the opportunity to shoot some demo rifles. Act fast! Only 40 slots are available, and this event WILL sell out.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

I am a Forum User
    Any idea on the local camping costs?

I'm considering - its a 5.5 hour drive. Any other parties interested in potential car pool for the weekend shoot?

I am a Forum User
    Reading through there website it sounds like an instruction course on shooting.

Can any one that has gone to one of these explain what it is.

Is it a competition shot or just am instruction course on marksmanship.

I am a Forum User
    Marksmanship clinic mixed with important history.

Well worth the time and money! Practice what they teach and you will shoot 4moa with irons off the bench from multiple positions under stress of time.

IMHO they do a better job teaching natural point of aim and all steps to firing the shot than shorter CMP rifle clinics I've also done do.

Let me see if I can answer some of the questions you’ve asked.

I believe camping is available for free at the range. (It’s included in the range fee.) If you want to make sure I’m correct on that PM SPQR on the Appleseed forum.

This is NOT a course for instructors. There will be an event at this location in August for instructors. The June event is for students.

The competition you will encounter is a competition with yourself to see if you can score 32 out of 40 shots in the black on the Army Qualification Test at full distance. If you can do that you will earn the coveted full distance rifleman patch.

The course of fire is:
    Stage 1: 10 shots standing in 2 minutes at 100 yards / meters. (I have attended an event at this location but I don’t remember if its yards or meters.
    Stage 2: 10 shots transitioning from standing to seated with a mag change at 200 yards in 55 seconds.
    Stage 3: 10 shots transitioning from standing to prone with a mag change at 300 yards in 65 seconds.
    Stage 4: 10 shots from the prone position in 5 minutes.

You will be carrying all your gear between firing lines. I found a backpack with mags, ammo, snacks, water, ammo, bandana, zip lock bag for brass, notebook and pen was all I needed. There really is no need to bother with a shooting mat. It’s a nice grassy location and I just plopped down in the lush grass to shoot. If you’re not wearing a long sleeve shirt you night want to add elbow pads.

If you are thinking of attending, sign up soon and make sure you fill out the information form so you'll be able to get on base with your rifle(s).

I’ll be happy to answer any other questions you cone up with. Just let me know.

I am a Forum User
    So the OP Says 250 Rounds given to attendees.
    Other Info I found in Relation to the Event reccomends 400Rounds.
    Can we do the Event with the 250 Rounds or will we need the Additional 150Rounds?
    If we need the Additional 150 Rounds can we get specific Info on the Supplied 250 Rounds so we can try and match it as close as we can?
    Still seeing if I can ge this Event Scheduled for me.

Well, I went through 160 rounds. That being said, I had good data on sight adjustments for my rifle and didn't shoot most of the sighters. While others were going through 18ish rounds for sighters at each distance, I was going through 3. So...I'm going out on a limb and saying if you have good data on your rifle you 'should' be able to get away with 250 rounds. Here's my math on that:
    assuming 5 AQTs = 200 rounds
    6 sighters at each distance (25, 100, 200, 300, 400) = 30
    that leaves you 20 rounds to 'play' with.

There will be other drills, carding the sights and ball and dummy which will each take 5ish rounds. For a grand total of 240.

What 'I' would do is use the provided ammo for the sighters and AQTs and use other ammo for every thing else. What you're looking for with the other drills is groups. If they aren't exactly where you want them that is not a big deal.

I have no clue what the provided ammo will be. You could PM SPQR on the Appleseed forum and ask him. He is the shoot boss for that event and might know.

I feel I'm being about as clear as muddy water. If you have further questions, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackman
    So the OP Says 250 Rounds given to attendees.
    Other Info I found in Relation to the Event reccomends 400Rounds.
    Can we do the Event with the 250 Rounds or will we need the Additional 150Rounds?
    If we need the Additional 150 Rounds can we get specific Info on the Supplied 250 Rounds so we can try and match it as close as we can?
    Still seeing if I can ge this Event Scheduled for me.

I am a Forum User
    I see one of the event sponsors is WPA (wolf ammo). I know Mouse08 said to verify, but it seems maybe their steel is being supplied.

Honestly, I'd be interested to see how their .223 wolf actually performs at 500 or even 100+ grouping wise with known shooters given its grouping reputation Like others I've gone through cases and value it, but sure can't get any serious distance grouping. Not knocking a gift horse\sponsor by any means - assume their supplying!

If wolf is also supplying x54r and .308 maybe those have a better reputation that the .223 lines.

MGO Member
    I would guess that Wolf ammo is what would be supplied. I suggest however that you bring what works in and has been sighted in your rifle. Full distance leaves very little room for error.

In regards to the course. They basically teach you to shoot at long distances using a number of positions (standing, sitting, prone) and how to use a sling. They also teach ballistics, adjusting sights for bullet drop, windage etc.

In my opinion it is a bargain and getting free ammo makes it a steal.

I am a Forum User
    sold out as of yesterday