Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safe location

I am a Forum User

keeping the safe in the basement

does this mean that you are keeping all of your weapons in the basement because i personally would want to have my safe in my closet in my bedroom. yes this is where most thiefs would look but if it is a big enough safe there is not really much they would be able to do other thank look at it!

I am a Forum User
    basement is ok. i personnaly use desiccant pellets to keep things dry inside. its a drying agent that will remove the moisture. similar to the silica gel packs you get with many goods to keep dry in the packaging. this allowed me to keep dry and not put any holes in the safe.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mikezalewski
    does this mean that you are keeping all of your weapons in the basement because i personally would want to have my safe in my closet in my bedroom. yes this is where most thiefs would look but if it is a big enough safe there is not really much they would be able to do other thank look at it!
    You would be surprised. My safe is supposedly 800 lbs, but I have been able to move it around by myself. Granted, not very fast, but I could do it by myself. Two or three guys could take it if they want to.

Where ever you put it, anchor it, and the more points the better. But, if your anchor points are on interior walls, then can get to those from backside, so you may want to add reinforcements to slow them down.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by brotheryang
    Are you talking about a safe dehumidifier? I was talking about one for the basement. Sorry, I clearly don't know a lot about this, lol. What is a good safe dehumidifier, and I am not familiar with what you are referring to. Does it hook up to holes that are in the safe? Is this something all makes have? Thanks again for any help.
    not all makes have them and they require power in some form or another. plug in units would require holes in safe. they also sell battery powered ones. you can buy the dry canisters that work well and no need for power or batteries. the pellets need no power but eventually would need to be replaced. good luck

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mikezalewski
    if its a big enough safe it would probably not fit in your closet? if it fits in your closet a couple of guys with a fridge dolly could probably wheel it out easily. nice to lag them down to concrete and a 6" pad on the basement floor is a good idea. if its a heavy enough for no one to move it then it should be on cement anyway.

I am a Forum User
    I have other, smaller safes in strategic locations around my house for self defense purposes. But my main safe is in the basement with my non-tactical guns, important paperwork, etc.

I am a Forum User
    I've had my safe in the basement for years. I have AC and a dehumidifier running in the spring and summer. The dehumidifier is in the same room, but not in the safe. I've never had any issues with my guns or ammo. All my guns get cleaned at least a couple of times a year. Ammo gets rotated (oldest used first), but I've shot ammo that's been in my basement for 2-3 years without any issues.

If there's a fire, I'd rather have my safe in the basement than falling through two floors in my house like it would if it was in my bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Imshootin View Post
    Two other issues with putting a safe in a basement. Sewer backups and a house fire.
    I've waded through basements with a couple feet of water in them when city sewers have backed up into basements during my drain cleaning days and when fighting a fire, we've filled up a few basements pretty deep as well. If I put one in a basement I would want to build a cement platform at least 6" off the floor to put it on if I had the headroom. Might make the difference between a safe full of wet buttstocks or a safe full of dry guns.
    Would a simple rubber seal around the door to safe surface help to keep the interior of the safe dry if there was a a build up of water in the basement? I'm picturing something like what is used on car doors. Compressed when the door is closed.

I am a Forum User
    It depends... what's your primary reason for the safe?

Is it to meet the storage requirement in MA?

Is it to protect from kids getting access?

Is it to protect from theft?

Is it to protect from fire?

I am a Forum User
    I have stored firearms in the safe in basements in three houses, so far. Have always used desiccant boxes/bags and renewed them periodically. Never had a spec of rust on any of them. Those houses have all been well climate controlled, however.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast