Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safe location

Banned Forum User

Safe location

Does anyone keep their safe in the basement? Isn't the humidity in a basement a problem? I don't have a dehumidifier in mine, is that something that would have to be purchased if I wanted to keep a safe down there? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by brotheryang
    Does anyone keep their safe in the basement? Isn't the humidity in a basement a problem? I don't have a dehumidifier in mine, is that something that would have to be purchased if I wanted to keep a safe down there? Thanks in advance for your opinions.
    I keep mine in the basement... i would defiantly get a dehumidifier for it the holes should already be there just plugged. They don't cost much and will save you allot of grief.

Banned Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by lwout65
    I keep mine in the basement... i would defiantly get a dehumidifier for it the holes should already be there just plugged. They don't cost much and will save you allot of grief.
    Are you talking about a safe dehumidifier? I was talking about one for the basement. Sorry, I clearly don't know a lot about this, lol. What is a good safe dehumidifier, and I am not familiar with what you are referring to. Does it hook up to holes that are in the safe? Is this something all makes have? Thanks again for any help.

I am a Forum User
    I was talking about a safe dehumidifier normally there will be a couple holes drilled towards the bottom with plastic plugs covering them to run a cord or two through.

Pop out the plug run the cord out and plug it in they do not get overly hot just enough to keep the humility down will not damage or burn anything they touch in fact you can just pick them up by hand no problem.

I use a dri rod in mine here a couple options on this page i have had it for a couple years now and had no issues. Prices here are not so bad either dunno about shipping.There are a ton of other options just Google ( safe dehumidifier )

http://www.deansafe.com/gun-safe-dehumidifiers.html

Two other issues with putting a safe in a basement. Sewer backups and a house fire.
    I've waded through basements with a couple feet of water in them when city sewers have backed up into basements during my drain cleaning days and when fighting a fire, we've filled up a few basements pretty deep as well. If I put one in a basement I would want to build a cement platform at least 6" off the floor to put it on if I had the headroom. Might make the difference between a safe full of wet buttstocks or a safe full of dry guns.
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by brotheryang
    Are you talking about a safe dehumidifier? I was talking about one for the basement. Sorry, I clearly don't know a lot about this, lol. What is a good safe dehumidifier, and I am not familiar with what you are referring to. Does it hook up to holes that are in the safe? Is this something all makes have? Thanks again for any help.
    Still not a bad idea for a basement dehumidifier especially if you don't have central air or don't run it all the time at 72 degrees.

Banned Forum User
    I was talking about a safe dehumidifier normally there will be a couple holes drilled towards the bottom with plastic plugs covering them to run a cord or two through.

Pop out the plug run the cord out and plug it in they do not get overly hot just enough to keep the humility down will not damage or burn anything they touch in fact you can just pick them up by hand no problem.

I use a dri rod in mine here a couple options on this page i have had it for a couple years now and had no issues. Prices here are not so bad either dunno about shipping.There are a ton of other options just Google ( safe dehumidifier )

http://www.deansafe.com/gun-safe-dehumidifiers.html
    Thank you, very helpful.

Banned Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Imshootin
    Two other issues with putting a safe in a basement. Sewer backups and a house fire.
    I've waded through basements with a couple feet of water in them when city sewers have backed up into basements during my drain cleaning days and when fighting a fire, we've filled up a few basements pretty deep as well. If I put one in a basement I would want to build a cement platform at least 6" off the floor to put it on if I had the headroom. Might make the difference between a safe full of wet buttstocks or a safe full of dry guns.
    And thanks for your input, also. If I put it down there, that is a good idea.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Imshootin
    This is a good idea i have been thinking about this allot myself possibly stacking a couple thick cement slabs and a thick rubber pad in between and drilling through them and into the floor.

It might cost me more for the beer and Jack Daniels then the materials to talk my buds into helping me again lol.

Banned Forum User
    This is a good idea i have been thinking about this allot myself possibly stacking a couple thick cement slabs and a thick rubber pad in between and drilling through them and into the floor.

It might cost me more for the beer and Jack Daniels then the materials to talk my buds into helping me again lol.
    Lol. I was thinking cinder blocks with maybe wood cut to size on top of them to distribute the weight evenly. Then I can just get my son to help for some date money!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast