Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safe location

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Imshootin
    Two other issues with putting a safe in a basement. Sewer backups and a house fire.
    I've waded through basements with a couple feet of water in them when city sewers have backed up into basements during my drain cleaning days and when fighting a fire, we've filled up a few basements pretty deep as well. If I put one in a basement I would want to build a cement platform at least 6" off the floor to put it on if I had the headroom. Might make the difference between a safe full of wet buttstocks or a safe full of dry guns.
    Good points. Just to add, in the event of a house fire, the guns are most often better off submerged than not. The smoke will damage the finish of blued and stainless guns within a couple hours.

I am a Forum User
    I have mine in the basement with a dehumidfier rod. My safe came prewired so I just plug it in. Also my safe came with a computer plug that way if you want you could put a storage device in it and sent info to it for safe storage. The idea of putting it up on blocks is a good idea in fact one insurance company dedicated to guns requires it in a basement locations. Mine was not that heavy, 600 lbs, but I hired a company to move it to the basement. The best $150 I ever spent.

I am a Forum User
    Basement here also.
    I poured a 4' pedestal in the corner, and have it sitting on a thin rubber mat and bolted down. It weighs about 850# empty.
    I use about a dozen of those small humidity packs (got a bunch of them for nothing a while back) and it stays about 50-60% RH. I really don't know what optimum is, but I keep things wiped down with a silicone cloth and have never seen the first signs of rust or any other problems.

I can't post links yet! Forum User

My basement safe fix

I knew mine was going down there so I upgraded to a fire/waterproof. Made sense to the wife too. I have a dehumidifier in the basement, central air, also put a cartrige for a refrigeration system called a liquid line drier inside. The relative humidity indicater in my safe starts climbing when the door is opened.
    I also built a dolly with six casters so it would be off the floor and I could move it if needed.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR SHOT A BIT
    I knew mine was going down there so I upgraded to a fire/waterproof. Made sense to the wife too. I have a dehumidifier in the basement, central air, also put a cartrige for a refrigeration system called a liquid line drier inside. The relative humidity indicater in my safe starts climbing when the door is opened.
    I also built a dolly with six casters so it would be off the floor and I could move it if needed.
    So can the criminals....

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon
    So can the criminals....
    If they can get it up the stairs, across the basement floor would be easy enough with or without wheels.

I am a Forum User
    I too have mine in the basement. I run a dehumidifier in the basement and one in the safe. Never thought about flooding. Ill have to look into that.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR SHOT A BIT
    If they can get it up the stairs, across the basement floor would be easy enough with or without wheels.
    Mine they will have to cut it has 4 3/4 inch stainless anchor studs like what are used for automotive lifts holding it down.

I am a Forum User
    I have mine in the basement in a room with a dehumidifier. I have been thinking about putting the rod inside the safe, but haven't really needed to as of yet.

I am a Forum User
    I keep mine in the basement, bolted to the floor. I keep a box of silica gel in it to absorb moisture and keep the humidity down. I have to bake the silica gel every 2-3 months to keep the gel dry, and it's worked fine. I inspect all my guns at least once a year and I've never had any rust.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast