Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Talking First of its kind *Original* Hybrid SKS takes Duckbills AND AK mags. VIDEO post2

THIS PROCESS REQUIRES GREAT MACHINING AND ENGINEERING SKILLS!!! THIS PROCESS IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. WE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR THE DESTRUCTION OF YOUR FIREARM OR ANY BODILY INJURY TO ANYONE. PLEASE DONT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU ARE CONFIDENT IN YOUR GUNSMITHING/MILLING/ENGINEERING ABILITIES!

Some might ask, "whats the big deal, sks can already take ak mags...". Actually only the sks m and d take ak mags. That is all they take. Any sks that takes ak mags ONLY takes ak mags.

I strongly believe this gun is unique and a one of a kind piece. I kinda reinvented the wheel with this one. I know my latching mechanism is one off. I have never seen, read, or heard of an sks that takes the standard sks fixed mag, the sks "duckbill", AND...

Two days later...

SKS Chinese takes ak mags AND duckbills. Started with a virgin Jianshe SKS. Made some very simple alterations and viola... I have in my possession, an sks that takes duckbills and AK mags.

A little patience and perseverance... Pictures are worth a thousand words.
    Please feel free to use this method for your own personal monetary gain...lol

SKS Duckbill

AK mags

This is the bolt stop and the original latch fit together

A LOT more pictures coming soon
    Last edited by tyler79durdan; 06-01-2013 at 09:06 AM.

I am a Forum User
    [YOUTUBE]ZPXRUCRd7bw[/YOUTUBE]

Proving Day! 5.30.2013

I am a Forum User
    although I am massively confused by what you have done there, the result is very cool. Nice job. Now take some better pics and explain it all better.

Really,Bush light?

I am a Forum User
    All successful garage endeavors require liquid inspiration. Just happens that this project ran over budget. Lol
    Last edited by tyler79durdan; 12-10-2014 at 07:56 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Better pics and explanation to come soon.

I am a Forum User
    THIS PROCESS REQUIRES GREAT MACHINING AND ENGINEERING SKILLS!!! THIS PROCESS IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. WE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR THE DESTRUCTION OF YOUR FIREARM OR ANY BODILY INJURY TO ANYONE. PLEASE DONT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU ARE CONFIDENT IN YOUR GUNSMITHING/MILLING/ENGINEERING ABILITIES!

We have agreed to describe the process as best as possible. The pictures posted a sufficient for any person to use as examples.

Let's begin...
    Step one - mic the mag well and your AK mag. This is the first step. I can tell you the mag well on a Chinese sks is 5 hundredths smaller than one inch while AK mags are about one inch. Mag well milling is needed for both width and length and depth to accommodate the magazines forward hook and allow the mag to seat high enough for the bolt to engage a cartridge.

This step will take a while and I suggest watching any and all YouTube videos about this process.

In our experience, the forward ledge in the mag well that supports/stops the mag from protruding to high into the receiver needs to be adjusted by removing a few thousandths allowing the AK mag to sit slightly higher than it would if you just opened up the width and length of the well. While looking into the well you'll see how the milling left a canted/sloping angle allowing the mag to actually seat at an upward angle toward the breech chamber. This whole angle needs to be raised a few thousands also. This allows the AK mag to seat high enough to allow engagement of the bolt upon a cartridge.

Step two - shave your bolt as seen on YouTube for the standard sks mod that allows insertion of a mag while the bolt is closed. This is a common mod and fairly easy to perform. This step will allow the bolt to clear the lips of both the duckbills and ak mags.

Step three - once once you have milled the mag well to allow the AK magazine to seat properly and also adjusted the bolt, now you need to work on the trigger group. There are several steps you need to perform on the trigger group number one you need to remove the old bolt stop. Next you will need an AK mag seated in the well and this process takes a lot of insertion removing of the trigger group, shaving, customizing and a lot of machine work. You need to cut clearance channels/angles to allow for the AK mag catch to clear the forward tines on the trigger group. This is accomplished by shortening the forward tines and creating clearance allowing the mag catch to slide between them. Now the mag catch should be stopping on the cross pin that holds the tg in place.

Adjustments should be made to allow the mag seat more forward allowing clearance of this pin. Once you have attained a seated mag you'll need to start working on the new mag latch that allows the original configuration PLUS a lower catch for your ak mags. This requires fitting and precision welding.

By using the removed bolt stop and inverting it onto the existing mag release /catch(requires modification to the rails on the stop to allow them to slide between the opposite ledge opposite of the original catch, thus creating a part that slides between the top and bottom of the tg. This part is pictured several times and this is the new catch allowing both the upper portion to catch the duckbills and the lower to engage the ak mag latching block.

This step requires patience and a lot of fitting and adjusting.

I have provided plenty of pictures to guide anyone.

Step four - using square stock create a ak mag hook catch by dremeling channels for your catch to fit into running in line with the barrel allowing the square stock to seat evenly on the underside of the receiver below the barrel threads on the receiver. It is very important that you seat your mag as far forward as possible and weld that hook catch right up to that mag.

Also the height of the square stock catch will either allow the mag to fall out OR the hook wont engage under the hook catch.

Well I had more information typed but MGO timed me out.

Good luck, and play safe
    Last edited by tyler79durdan; 06-01-2013 at 09:12 AM.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I have to tell you, this is one of the coolest modifications i have seen yet, in fact i was so excite about it, i joined this site because of it alone. To the nay sayers that say just buy a sks d/m, screw that. then you don't have the duck bill ability as well. this is an amazingly unique mod. i am currently modding my own sks, a norinco paratrooper, and have come across so many people saying not to bother modding the sks. This rifle is highly underrated and has so many possibilities. I for one, look forward to exploring this possibility. Good job tyler79durdan, you should be proud.

Even though I have little interest in the AK/SKS thing I'm impressed with this mod. Well done.

I am a Forum User
    by far one of the cooler mods to an sks i have seen. Good work and nice share.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast