Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

Went to Lansing Appleseed last weekend

My two sons and I went to the Lansing Appleseed this past weekend. We had a great time and heard some wonderful history. And, my 13 year old got his rifleman patch! Can't recommend Appleseed highly enough. If you haven't gone, you should.
    No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jmonarch
    My two sons and I went to the Lansing Appleseed this past weekend. We had a great time and heard some wonderful history. And, my 13 year old got his rifleman patch! Can't recommend Appleseed highly enough. If you haven't gone, you should.
    Where ?, when ?, how do you find these events ?.

MGO Member
    Here is the schedule for the year. We have them all over the state and we constantly add shoots so check it often.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-...ename=Michigan

Here is what it is all about.... www.appleseedinfo.org

I am an instructor and would be happy to answer any questions.
    Last edited by Garymac; 06-20-2013 at 05:36 PM.

MGO Member
    Anyone have suggestions iron sights vs. scope for Appleseed?

MGO Member
    If you can do it, I recommend iron sights. At the shoot that I attended they did address using a scope, and my son used a loaner rifle that had a scope, but it really seemed more geared to open sights.
    No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

MGO Member
    We welcome scopes or iron sights. What we have found is that most rifles do not have very good iron sights and they are difficult to get precise adjustments.

We recommend military style peep sights like Tech Sights www.tech-sights.com. However they aren't cheap $70-80 and one can buy a decent scope (Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x are very popular at Appleseed) for about half the cost. Just about any scope will do, but you don't need anything higher than 3-4X. Red dots don't seem to work very well, they are not very precise.

Your rifle should also have a provision for mounting a sling on it. The preferred sling is a 1.25" US GI web sling. You need 1.25" swivels for that sling. At the very least you should have sling studs. Most instructors and shoot bosses have slings and swivels to lend or for sale at the shoot.

Most people shoot 22 rifles the first couple times out simply because the principles apply to rim or centerfire but rimfires are cheaper to shoot. The most popular rifle on the line is the Ruger 10/22, and then either the Remington 597 or Marlin 795. These are all detachable mag fed semi auto rifles which lend themselves to the course or fire. Tube feds like the Marlin Model 60 works as well. Bolts are slow as are lever actions but we will make anything work or swap them out for a loaner from an instructor.

I am a Forum User
    Jmonarch, it was a pleasure to see you and your boys at the Lansing event. For others that may be on the west side, there is a new Appleseed event at a range in Twin Lake (between Muskegan and Whitehall). It's at Grasmeyer Bros. Gunshop. The dates are July 13 & 14.
    Oh, I should point out that I go by "D.O.M." on the Appleseed forum...
    Last edited by Selacamp; 06-30-2013 at 09:01 AM.

MGO Member
    Thanks for the tips. I ended up shooting iron sights the first day then switching to a scope the second day. Appleseed was a great experience that one of the other members here summed up very well in this post: http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...62#post2131562