Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooting AR15 at Steel Target from 50 yards - Ricochet

I know I will take a beating on this for my stupidity, but I wanted to ask for feedback anyway.

Earlier this week my nephew, son and I were shooting my AR at two 8" diameter steel targets that were 3/8" thick. The targets were hanging from hooks at a distance of about 55 yards and 2 1/2' off the ground. We were shooting Remington UMC .223 55gr FMJ ammo.

During our shooting, we had something ricochet back at us and hit me in the arm after about 100 rounds. I was observing at the time and standing about 3' behind and 5' to the left of the shooter. When I was hit it felt like a small piece of metal and didn't hurt that badly since it caught me on the back of my forearm on the bone close to my elbow. Regardless, we stopped shooting and changed to paper.

I purposely bought the steel targets for handgun shooting, but we set them up to try with the AR. I thought that since they were hanging, there was no chance of a ricochet. I am wondering if the targets were either not rated for AR's or if they were too heavy to properly deflect and allow the bullet to ricochet directly down rather than "straight" back - maybe when hit at the top (?). The targets were definitely beat up badly by the AR, but I still didn't think I would have an issue.

I'm looking for any feedback other than confirming my ignorance. Thanks.

I am a Forum User
    I shoot steel all the time- AR500 face hardened armored steel. If shooting close range, you MUST be wearing eye pro- of course, you should always be wearing eye-pro, but if you're going to slack on that, shooting steel inside of 100m would be the worst time to get lazy.

I wouldn't be too worried about ricochets so long as you're not shooting at some strange angle. Try to stick to hardened steel, not only will it last longer, it doesn't deflect when a bullet impacts, which should help ensure the bullet disintegrates. Small, high-velocity bullets will usually come apart better than heavy, slow handgun bullets. Avoid steel core bullets; the lead mostly disintegrates there by dissipating the energy... steel doesn't.

Further, steel targets aren't intended to direct a ricochet- the intent is to disintegrate a lead and copper bullet. When I hang my targets in a way that has wood to the sides or top and bottom of the target, the result is that wood gets thoroughly sprayed by fragments. You run into problems if you shoot at the steel other than generally straight on- you wouldn't want to shoot at a 45 degree angle to the target- that will almost ensure a ricochet. The idea here is that a direct, generally straight on hit will cause the energy to compress the bullet against the hard surface and distribute it 360 degrees; this is why you get fragment spray around the target. If you're shooting at an irregular surface (mild steel that's been really beat up), you stand a better chance of the bullet striking an area that instead of smoothly deflecting directly to the side of the target, may direct fragments in other directions, sometimes back toward the shooter.

So, take aways from this are:
    -Wear eye pro
    -Use face hardened armor steel (such as AR400 or AR500)
    -Do not use steel core or steel tip ammo
    -Avoid use of copper solids
    -Fire at a generally 90 degree direction from the target
    -Wear eye pro (again)

I'll leave you with this- the Army uses steel... I assure you, if it were dangerous, the risk adverse Army would NEVER use it. You just need to be aware of the proper controls to implement to ensure safety.
    Last edited by DP425; 07-09-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Another reason for no steel at the pit.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    I was at a local gun club this last spring, they have a steel targets on the pistol range, 6-8 targets you can reset with a rope, I was wearing safety lasses and ear defenders
    9mm rounds Hollowpoints, had shot several dozen rounds when TINK it felt like something flew across the top of my head, like maybe someone tossed a rock, I cleared my pistol, ran my hand across the top of my head and realized the ear muff bar which was resting on top my head was now to the backside of my head, I don't know if it was the bullet or something else but something flipped the band to the rear

I am a Forum User
    steel ammo will deflect off steel targets. use soft lead ammo if your shooting at relatively close range. i use the hanging targets that swing to deflect rounds. that helps as well and ive never had an issue . stray brass on a funny angle once in a while?

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    You can shoot "pre-fragmented" 5.56 ammo at Steel at 20 yards and have no problem with deflection, etc.....If your shooting regular ammo....100 yards should be your minimum for rifle.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee1
    I was at a local gun club this last spring, they have a steel targets on the pistol range, 6-8 targets you can reset with a rope, I was wearing safety lasses and ear defenders
    9mm rounds Hollowpoints, had shot several dozen rounds when TINK it felt like something flew across the top of my head, like maybe someone tossed a rock, I cleared my pistol, ran my hand across the top of my head and realized the ear muff bar which was resting on top my head was now to the backside of my head, I don't know if it was the bullet or something else but something flipped the band to the rear

Let me guess, these targets were pretty well used, fairly beat up surface that wasn't exactly what one would call flat?

Sounds like falling plates and many of those plates are not armored steel- they take a beating and end up looking like the surface of the moon as a result. I already went over how that can be problematic.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Standby
    You can shoot "pre-fragmented" 5.56 ammo at Steel at 20 yards and have no problem with deflection, etc.....If your shooting regular ammo....100 yards should be your minimum for rifle.

What he said!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DP425
    Let me guess, these targets were pretty well used, fairly beat up surface that wasn't exactly what one would call flat?

Sounds like falling plates and many of those plates are not armored steel- they take a beating and end up looking like the surface of the moon as a result. I already went over how that can be problematic.

the plate used is called Ballistic plate I do believe

Quote Originally Posted by DP425
    I know this quote was in regards to a different post, but that's about when the ricochet happened - when the target was sufficiently beaten up after about 30 (?) hits or so. I'll stick to shooting at paper with the AR at short distances at this point.

Thanks for the feedback.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast