Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Not being able to carry on campus is my single most hated thing about MSU.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by shenny88
    Not being able to carry on campus is my single most hated thing about MSU.
    MSU allows concealed carry on their campus with a CPL, they do NOT allow you to enter any of their buildings. However, the caveat is a student is still not allowed because you will be expelled if caught carrying on campus period.

This is an email received from VP of the board of trustees of MSU( Bill Beekman)

Thank you for your inquiry. Your question implicates both University ordinance and general conduct regulations for students. University Ordinance 18.00 permits a licensed individual to carry a concealed pistol on campus so long as the concealed pistol is carried in accordance with the concealed pistol statute. The University does not permit open carry of firearms on campus, regardless of whether the individual has a concealed pistol permit. Separate and apart from the University ordinance, General Student Regulation 2.03 prohibits any student from possessing or using a firearm on campus without University authorization. Therefore, a student may not carry a concealed pistol on campus, regardless of whether the student has a concealed pistol permit.

Bill Beekman

I am a Forum User

i support it

I agree students should have the right to carry

I am a Forum User
    I did review the University policies and came to the same conclusion.
    Unfortunately, I work in one of a A: Dormitory, B: Classroom, or C: Sports arena, which are the three prohibited building types on campus, so I can't carry AT work. I can, however, carry TO work, and that's something that I may very well start doing at such time as I get my CPL. I'd feel okay about leaving my pistol in my car. There are a couple of out-of-sight areas that a person breaking into a car wouldn't think to look where I could put a gunvault to store it during the day.

I am a Forum User
    Somebody:

Does this apply to students as well? I've been carrying a lot lately but I just leave it in the car when it's class or study time. Or really any other time I'm on campus.

-M

Banned Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster
    ROFLMAO

What's so funny ....????

I am a Forum User
    18.00 FIREARMS OR WEAPONS

18.01 Possession prohibited; exceptions
    18.02 Use of chemicals prohibited
    18.03 Use prohibited; exceptions
    18.04 Not applicable to police officers
    18.05 Relationship to University policy

.01 Except as permitted by state law regulating firearms, no person shall possess any firearm or weapon anywhere upon property governed by the Board. Persons residing on property governed by the Board shall store any and all firearms and weapons with the Department of Police and Public Safety.

.02 No person shall possess any chemical, biological, radioactive, or other dangerous substance or compound, with the intent of using the same to injure, molest, or coerce another, anywhere upon property governed by the Board.

.03 The use of any firearm or weapon is prohibited upon property governed by the Board except those areas specifically set aside and supervised at range facilities, or as part of the regular education process, or as outlined in Ordinance 37.02 and its subsections.

.04 This ordinance shall not apply to Police Officers and other legally established law enforcement officers.

.05 This ordinance does not alter the terms of any University policies that regulate the use or possession of firearms.

Enacted: September 15, 1964
    Amended: December 11, 1987
    Amended: December 10, 1994
    Amended: April 14, 1995
    Amended: April 12, 2002
    Amended: June 19, 2009
    I interpret the first bolded section as "if you have a CPL, you can carry." A lawyer's input would be helpful here, especially given the "public university campus" factor.

Second bolded section: you can't keep them in dorms or university apartments.

Third bolded section seems to state that if you do legally carry your firearm on campus and somebody starts shooting up a classroom, you can still be in the wrong if you draw down on them and fire.

I'd be interested to have someone with more legal knowledge look over that ordinance and give their input.

I am a Forum User
    Is MSU the same as UofM and WayneState as allowed in state constitution to make their own laws? If not, shouldn't pre-emption apply? Perhaps that is the route to investigate.

Joe

I wish they'd strike the words 'regulating firearms' in "Except as permitted by state law regulating firearms, no person shall possess any firearm or weapon" as that is the most restrictive possible local law, had they just left it at the state law, knives wouldn't be an issue along with firearms.

I am a Forum User
    there should be

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast