Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

Browning hi-power 9mm made in Canada by Inglis

Anyone have any info on this?

I contacted Browning's historian and received little help.

Here is what I know.

The one I have is a MK.I It was made by a company called Inglis in Canada. It was refurbished in 1963. Manufactured in 1943 or 1944 (I believe). Serial # is 5T83** (if that helps with getting info). There is a crown on it that I believe means it was used by the British military during World War 2. I can not find any import stamps on it. anyone have any suggestions on where to find an import stamp? Also if it does not have an import stamp does it make it more valuable? I have been researching this firearm little by little over the last 6 months and have been having a hard time getting info on it. ANy help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert
    Last edited by Sarcastk1; 08-16-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    When the FN factory in Belgium was over run by the Germans in 1940, FN personal fled to the UK and then to Canada where they set up manufacturing of Browning Hi Powers for the allies. Inglis was an appliance company that switched to making weapons in WW2. The inglis is a bit different because it was machined in inch instead of metric like other hi powers, so parts may not be interchangeable. Most Inglis hi powers went to the Chinese but certain special units were given them in ww2. Because it was refinished it has lost a lot of its collector value but is is still a very collectable hi power.

The value also depends on what sights are on it, whether it has the groove for the buttstock and if you have a buttstock.

Depending on condition, whether it is matching and what it has, I would guess $700-1500.

Only some of the Inglis Hi Powers went to the Chinese. There were two patterns of the Inglis Hi Power. Those that had CH in their serial number were originally destined for the Chinese, but there was a contract cancellation and not all were delivered. These were designated No. 1 pistols. They had tangent rear sights and most were slotted for the wooden holster/stock.

The No. 2 pistol, with fixed sights and no slot, had a T in the serial number, and were not intended for China, rather Canada and GB.

Inglis only made the Hi Power in 1944 and 1945.

Check out Clive Law's book Inglis Diamond, The Canadian Hi Power Pistol for tons of info. Click here for more

Edit to add: I checked my book and found out that your Inglis was made in June of 1945. They made 11,800 that month (both No. 1 and No. 2).
    Last edited by SMLE; 08-22-2013 at 07:27 AM.

I am a Forum User

Artcle

Hello Robert.

I paid around $600 for a no. 1 Mk 1 a couple years ago. Not in the best shape, but I am happy I got it.

I did a far amount of research and found this site:
    http://www.ai4fr.com/main/page_milit...da_inglis.html

Not sure who these folks are, but the article is well done and full of useful info.

Please let me know if you have any trouble getting to the sight.

Dan

I am a Forum User
    Inglis reverse engineered the P35 (Belgium High Power) to manufacture their version of the High Power. There may be a very small (3 or 4 point type size) importer's mark on the frame above the grips.

Inglis are excellent guns; Canada still has a bunch of unissued WWII made guns, New in the boxes, that are going to (if not already) be destroyed because they no longer issue them. A real shame.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by cwo4uscgret
    Canada still has a bunch of unissued WWII made guns, New in the boxes, that are going to (if not already) be destroyed.

I am a Forum User
    I used the T series when I was in the Canadian Military (15 years infantry) and they were always reliable weapons.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by elwarpo
    I used the T series when I was in the Canadian Military (15 years infantry) and they were always reliable weapons.

Did you get my pm regarding your high power?

Ron

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I own a canadian N.2 MK.1 Serial number: 8T9XXX
    I’m wondering what year was this made, and if the N.2 is superior to the N.1
    Although what really puzzles me is if the Belgium Hi-power is superior to the canadian one or vice verca. That’s a matter whicybi’m not able to determine. Any insight or answers would be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast