Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User

First AR build....

and its not .223 or .308

the term go big or go home is what this build is called. it has been done before and should not be to bad.

the round on the left is the cute little .223 the man round on the right is .50 beowulf

you guesed it building a.50 beowulf....man i need to stop these project but they are just so much fun!!!!

need everyones thoughts and input. going to build a lower with a friend so that is good.

im talking upper here. i want to put an optic on it for sure but as far as twist rate and length what do you think???

thanks all cannot wait to put the hurt on stuff i want to load up some of the 550GR Sledge hammer bullets as well

[YOUTUBE]0CrUARlmqso[/YOUTUBE]

1300 FTLBS of energy in 3" with the 325 GR i can only think of what the 550gr would do!

[YOUTUBE]HwthjR3OpJA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]BROdbEm5wqA[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by shifty_85; 10-23-2013 at 12:54 AM.

I am a Forum User
    44 comments and not one post no one likes an AR unless its in .223??

I think it's an awesome project! Can't image the cost of ammunition though, especially for a harder to find caliber around here at least.

I think a major problem you are going to run into for getting response and help is the fact that this is such a unique build. Plenty of 308, less 6.5/6.8, some pistol caliber, a few .358 SOCOM but I wouldn't be surprised of no other 50 Beowulf builders here. This might be better suited for actual gunsmiths who can elaborate some simply because of their training/experience. I would imagine that some of this is going to be custom parts..

IMO, its a great build, I agree that ammo is going to be costly...

Other than that... Carry on post pics... Something cool is, if I want to build one all I need is a upper...
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_gunner
    I think it's an awesome project! Can't image the cost of ammunition though, especially for a harder to find caliber around here at least.

I think a major problem you are going to run into for getting response and help is the fact that this is such a unique build. Plenty of 308, less 6.5/6.8, some pistol caliber, a few .358 SOCOM but I wouldn't be surprised of no other 50 Beowulf builders here. This might be better suited for actual gunsmiths who can elaborate some simply because of their training/experience. I would imagine that some of this is going to be custom parts..
    Just the alexander arms upper buddy said he got one for 300 bucks.

normal AR-15 lower and you can use 30 round .223 mags as well but they only hold 10 rounds thats 3250Gr's of LEAD! hahaha

thanks for the comment should be alot of fun

as for the ammo my friend has one and has the dies to reload it on his dillion 650! new ammo is about 35 bucks for 20. his reloaded depending on bullet is about 20 for 20 maybe a little less. i can also get stuff for my dillion 550 as well the .50 beowulf is deff a reloaders round for sure and i are one haha

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by shifty_85
    Just the alexander arms upper buddy said he got one for 300 bucks.

normal AR-15 lower and you can use 30 round .223 mags as well but they only hold 10 rounds thats 3250Gr's of LEAD! hahaha

thanks for the comment should be alot of fun

as for the ammo my friend has one and has the dies to reload it on his dillion 650! new ammo is about 35 bucks for 20. his reloaded depending on bullet is about 20 for 20 maybe a little less. i can also get stuff for my dillion 550 as well the .50 beowulf is deff a reloaders round for sure and i are one haha
    wat. I demand to see one advertised that cheap

Marketplace Moderator

BEOWULF

I built a 50 Beowulf upper. There were a couple of things that you need to do for this unique build.
    You will need a machinist open up the ejection port on the upper receiver. You need to remove .035 from the top of the ejection port. You also need to remove .102 from the bottom of the port. The length of the ejection port stays the same. I had a machinist friend do this for me. Thanks Kevin!!!
    If you use these dimensions, you can use a stock ejection port cover. It does open kind of easy though. But it does work. Alexander Arms does not offer a ejection port cover on any of their 50 Beowulf builds.
    Also the gas block is a ******* size??? I do not remember the dimension though. Make sure the gas block goes on all the way. I used a AR Stoner barrel in my build and they left a bit of a shoulder on it. I made a relief cut on the I.D.of the gas block to make it fit. Maybe you will not have that issue.
    Aluminum magazine lips need to be opened up a bit to work properly. I bought a Alexander Arms magazine and just copied their dimensions.
    The plastic mags, especially Thermold magazines work great. Everybody seems to hate the Thermold mags. But the Beowulf guys love them.
    Other than these couple of things, everything else was straight forward. Typical AR build besides that.
    Very fun to shoot. And it will be one of the loudest guns on the range.
    This is also a cartridge that you need to either reload for, or be rich in the pocketbook. I reload.
    Brass is available through Cabelas or direct from AA.
    Good Shooting, MOOSE

I am a Forum User
    Thanks alot i miss spoke it was 800 for the upper he called Alexander arms and got the upper, Converstion kit for his 650 dies and a some brass all that shiped for 1,200 bucks. not bad at all if i say.

Moosefisher thank you very much for the info i think i may just buy an Alexander arms upper and build or buy a complete lower.

my buddy who has the .50 beo has a mill at his house and CNC machines at work so he could open the port. and help me with mags *he also bought one to make his own 30 round AR-15 ones work*

Thanks for the good info may look into a 7.62X39 upper as well to make that my cheap plinker then when somthing needs to not be there 2 pins pop pop 7.62 upper off put .50 beo on pop pop insert mag of 10 .50 beo and things go away.

That is the one thing i love about the AR 2 pins out and you can change caliber.

Thanks again for the info guys going to post up looking for a lower!

yup here is a basic upper *all i really want going to throw a scope/red dot on it* Think i may pay the extra 12 to get the threaded barrel and have my buddy make me a custom muzzle brake as well

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Upp..._Assembly.html

the beowulf is going to have wood stocks. Thoughts on that?

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDAR15.html

Complete lower?!??!
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-magazine.html

Thoughts? *my buddy bought 3 of those and they didnt have any probs with them!*
    Last edited by shifty_85; 10-24-2013 at 01:21 PM.

I am a Forum User
    in 3 weeks from now i will be ordering the lower then saving for the upper.

i am so excited. first AR build and its complete upper and lower sounds like im cheating? haha the stocks will be an after thought when i say i have 275 dollars to much.

question on the buffer tube on the lower i have heard it both ways 1 it will need a better/stronger spring or 2. the factory .223 spring will be fine?

thoughts?

I am a Forum User
    Built a .50 Beowulf a few years back.

Started with an extra Mega lower and LPK I had laying around. Ordered the complete upper from Midway -- went with the 'Entry' model as I was pressed for funds at the time and wasn't sure exactly which way I wanted to go with it in the future. Looking back, I think it was a good move. Found a guy on the Beyond556 forums that was making customs dust covers and picked one up for $35-40.

In terms of buffers/stocks, the one thing I read was to avoid any kind of collapsible stock and stick with a fixed stock... specifically, go with the ACE Skeleton stock and throw a 1" buttpad on the back. Even without any kind of brake on the front, this thing is a piece of cake to shoot. Everyone who has shot mine commented on how tame it seems for being a big bad .50. If you do decide to install a brake, look at King Armory. Haven't followed up on any recently, but at the time they reportedly had the best one available.

In terms of mags, I only use Pmags in mine. Had FTF/FTE issues with the AA magazine that was supplied, but everything has fed flawlessly with the Pmags. One thing of note, on some of the older 20-rd mags, there is a spine running up the inside front of the magazine that needs to be filed down a tad to get the rounds to feed. It is small enough in the body of the magazine, but flares out a bit at the top of the mag near the feed lips -- just take a file and go to work until front of the round doesn't catch on it.

Never could get my hands on a 10-round Pmag during my initial build, so I simply plugged a 20-rd mag for hunting (piece of dowel rod glued to the baseplate). Keep your eyes out for HB 4283 that would allow you to use the .50 Beo in the "shotgun" zone for deer hunting.

In terms of optics I went with a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x. Being a brush gun for me, and the fact that you're shooting rainbows past 200 yards, you don't need high magnification on the thing. Was using an Aimpoint initially, but don't have the best eyes so decided to go with a traditional scope. Either route you'd be well suited.

Ammo, you'll most likely have to order online. Until the panic at the start of this year, Cabela's had it in stock most of the time. Was able to acquire a decent amount of 325gr Speer HP's and 335gr Rainier HP's over some time. They never seemed to have the 400gr FMJ's in stock. Unfortunately now they don't even list any ammo for sale on their website, but fingers crossed in time they will again. You're looking at around $1.50/round for some of the basic loads, and upwards of $2-3/round for some of the fancy stuff. The ability to load your own will definitely help in the long run (looking to start reloading soon).
    Last edited by BravoKilo; 10-25-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast