Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mp7570 View Post
    ugggh!!! It is amazing how everyone thinks that the average home invader is going to have any fight left in them at all after being shot by any firearm. The first response any of them is going to have is to flee, as the home is no longer an easy target. All the bravado and false statements of I want to make sure they never get back up and I need to put them down in one shot is sheer stupidity. The average person having never been involved in any kind of actual life and death situation with an aggressor is not going to possess the calm and concentration to put anyone down with a well placed shot. Training helps, but the fact is, you will most likely be caught unaware and the adrenaline is going to cause any kind of shot to go other than where it is intended. It is laughable to hear guys say they are going to do this and that and they will prevail. More likely is the fact that if you are lucky enough to get time to pull a weapon and lucky enough to get a shot off, you will most likely not hit your adversary, or not hit them where you intended with your first shot. The good news is that you most likely will not have too, because most prowlers are going to flee knowing you are not defenseless. In a situation such as a home invasion, a shotgun allows the greatest chance of hitting a target based on the fact that you do get a spread and do not have to be pinpoint accurate as you do with a rifle or pistol. Slugs would negate this advantage. And as far as ammo goes, anyone taking a load of birdshot to the face or chest is going to have no fight left in them, exception being someone who is beyond reason and drugged up. So imho, and experience, the argument of shotgun/rifle/pistol in a home defense situation is a waste of time for most and regardless of your work experience or background, there is going to be factors that limit accuracy and effectiveness. Police officers and military will admit that regardless of experience, adrenaline will most likely cause you to miss that first shot unless point blank, otherwise shot capacity and follow up would really be un-necessary wouldn't it. I myself would rather send a load of birdshot into an attackers face/chest area and have a much higher chance of hitting them and causing them to flee, than have to rely on back up shots and luck, or having to live with the fact that I killed someone, no matter how big a piece of trash they were. I love the bravado exhibited here by those who never consider the aftermath or consequences of their actions. Sorry about breathing more life into an old thread, but this has always bothered me...lol
    you get 0 spread at an inside your home distance. unless your hugh hefner or bill gates.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tote'ngranny View Post
    How long ago was that? Technology of weapons and ammo has changed a lot. RSF has more experience than just about EVERYONE on this board. He TRAINS military, LEOs and civilians. That is .. has been his job.

To say the .223 isn't a good defensive round .. when what was used last year at SC and just recently? Trayvon Martin? We are not looking at shooting 500 - 800 yards for defensive shooting when the average distance will be about less than 20 feet in a home. Comparing to what was or won't be effective with your military experience is like comparing apples and oranges with home defense situations.
    Distance is the key issue. If it is Defensive shooting, one will not need anything other than a shotgun. If you have a rifle and are tempted to take that 20 yard shot as a felon flees your home, it will be considered an offensive action and if you do kill the perp, you will go to prison for homicide.

I am a Forum User
    good link and good info

It's all about personal preference and use (also, living conditions)
    Multiple studies show that the .223 is NOT the "over-penetrator" that many folks think it is, most handgun rounds will go through more sheetrock and shed their energy slower than a 223 after hitting just 1 wall of sheetrock.
    There's a reason the 4 rules exist.

I am a Forum User
    I think it is. I believe you and your hearing will defiantly part ways though! Beats being dead though

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat989 View Post
    Distance is the key issue. If it is Defensive shooting, one will not need anything other than a shotgun. If you have a rifle and are tempted to take that 20 yard shot as a felon flees your home, it will be considered an offensive action and if you do kill the perp, you will go to prison for homicide.
    Maybe a shotgun is the best round per round, but they are cumbersome to handle in close quarters. Also, a home defense shotgun is harder to conceal/secure when you are not at home. Mine was stolen in a break-in. I'm not likely going to put it in the vault every time I leave the house, so I use my carry gun for home defense instead.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

Name:  Necrothread.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  41.6 KB
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    Name:  Necrothread.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  41.6 KB
    This is my favorite post ever.

Dice

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678