Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by elwarpo
    An untrained individual may not consider what is behind the target, may miss or may not know of the penetrative power of the .223 round. In an urban setting, any shot not on target will go through several walls. more a case of the round and not rifle. I personally have seen how a 223 round will go through a building.

You also have to deal with a safety and possible jams in a semi that unless you train with them will turn the rifle into a club. A semi pistol is similar, if you do not train, you may be able to use it. For people who do not train a pump shotgun or revolver would be the best choice.

JMHO
    So will a 9mm.

The class that I attended for my CPL .. AND Hunter Safety all stress the rule KNOW your target AND BEYOND.

Also .. Just how much experience do you have with today's semi auto guns & rifles? I had more problems with the S&W . 38 revolver that I had with the too heavy trigger weight pulling the trigger, too much recoil to get consecutive shots on target accurately .. and too low a rnd count. I'll stick with my semi autos rifle and handgun ( I do have shotguns)
    Last edited by tote'ngranny; 11-06-2013 at 06:44 PM.

MGO Member
    I have always thought and expressed the opinion that anyone who would argue with 00 buck is on drugs or highly intoxicated!!

That remains my position.

I need to get my wife to shoot a few loads. I said 00 buck but I have some #4s and they will fill the bill just as well IMO, even in my Richland 20 gauge double w/ 18" barrels.

But to answer the original question--use what you have. A 223 w/ some 50-55 gr going thru 2 or 3 walls?? Guess Ill have to line us some 2x4 and old drywall I have in the garage.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by cmr19xx
    The article would lead you to believe you have a greater chance of over penetration with a 9mm pistol as compared to a 223 rifle round.
    And I've seen it on numerous TV shows etc too. More people here should actually read the OP article it was a very good read.

AR still isn't my first choice for HD at least maybe not until they get off their azz and get the sbr thing pushed through. Still I wouldn't feel bad or unsafe using it if I had to. The numerous penetration tests don't lie.

I can tell you factually that the 556 has less penetration on structures with the correct ammo than a handgun round,

i can also tell you as a matter of fact that some 12 gaue slugs have less pentration than buckshot or handguns...

i can also say that lighter 556 rounds though some think are great have minimal penetration to reach vital organs

i can also say many dont of shot angles and how to employ there HD guns to there make effectiveness

i can also tell you that a handgun at full extension is just as long as an m4 carbine.shouldered or a 18 barreld shotgun...

having shot a lot of rounds in buildings and barrier testing and OIS reports that most of you are wrong......

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by langenc
    But to answer the original question--use what you have. A 223 w/ some 50-55 gr going thru 2 or 3 walls?? Guess Ill have to line us some 2x4 and old drywall I have in the garage.
    Save your boards and drywall, it's already been done and well documented.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

I am a Forum User
    lots of opinions and some stating "facts",lol. facts on the correct ammo ? but do not list ammo. we can google the balistics ourselves. the best gun for HD is the loaded one in the nightstand or the first one you can get too!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RSF
    i can also tell you as a matter of fact that some 12 gaue slugs have less pentration than buckshot or handguns...
    Nice, never heard that and wouldn't have expected it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RSF
    i can also tell you that a handgun at full extension is just as long as an m4 carbine.shouldered or a 18 barreld shotgun...
    And what about all those hip shot trick shot guys that allege hip shots are adequate at close HD type distances?

Quote Originally Posted by amontana086
    And what about all those hip shot trick shot guys that allege hip shots are adequate at close HD type distances?

Have at it

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ATA Works
    Save your boards and drywall, it's already been done and well documented.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm
    Similar to what I have seen in the infantry (9mm, .223 and.308 military rounds hitting various hard and soft things in my 15 years of service). The fact is a 9mm penetrated less than a 223. Yes you can use fragile versus other ammo to change the results, but in the end the 223 is not a great defense round.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast