Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GUN SAFES

I am a Forum User

GUN SAFES

I know there will be some good deals coming up for gun safes from Gander, Cabelas, Dunhams and others. Looking for a recommendation in the $500 range...

Check Tractor Supply ad in todays paper. There were some sales in there on safes.

I need another one also.

Banned Forum User
    I picked up a 24 gun Winchester from Tractor Supply a couple of months ago, and glad I did. $599 on sale and 12 months same as cash. I liked the Winchester over the Cannon they had because the door opened all the way, and it seemed a little bit sturdier.

Most of the bargain brand $500 safes aren't as secure as I'd personally like. YMMV, but most can be defeated with an axe in 5 minutes.

I'd suggest trying to find a used higher-end safe on Craigslist. I scooped up an Amsec for $500 a few months ago. It was cheap because it was scuffed and scratched up pretty good on the outside, so I sanded it down and resprayed it. It turned out beautiful. Now I have $600 and 4 afternoons worth of work tied up into a nearly flawless safe that MSRP's for $1800-2000. Much better than spending the same amount of money and settling on a new, lesser quality safe.

Quote Originally Posted by SuedePflow
    Most of the bargain brand $500 safes aren't as secure as I'd personally like. YMMV, but most can be defeated with an axe in 5 minutes.

I'd suggest trying to find a used higher-end safe on Craigslist. I scooped up an Amsec for $500 a few months ago. It was cheap because it was scuffed and scratched up pretty good on the outside, so I sanded it down and resprayed it. It turned out beautiful. Now I have $600 and 4 afternoons worth of work tied up into a nearly flawless safe that MSRP's for $1800-2000. Much better than spending the same amount of money and settling on a new, lesser quality safe.
    One (or two) things to consider is that when buying a used safe, you will most likely have to move it from the owner's basement and transport it to your home, then down your steps. A lot of favors get called in here. And someone else now has the combo to your used safe, but this is not really that big a deal. I checked Craigslist before I bought mine(as I was out of work), but very few were listed at that time. Keep in mind that a safe keeps the honest people honest, but the real crooks will get in if they want to. As many here have said, buy the biggest you can afford. You will always need more storage space!
    Regards,
    Costanza
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

Quote Originally Posted by costanza
    One (or two) things to consider is that when buying a used safe, you will most likely have to move it from the owner's basement and transport it to your home, then down your steps. A lot of favors get called in here. And someone else now has the combo to your used safe, but this is not really that big a deal. I checked Craigslist before I bought mine(as I was out of work), but very few were listed at that time. Keep in mind that a safe keeps the honest people honest, but the real crooks will get in if they want to. As many here have said, buy the biggest you can afford. You will always need more storage space!
    Regards,
    Costanza
    True. Buying used means using man power and getting it home yourself. Not a big issue for me. My safe weighed ~700 lbs., so two of us moved it pretty easily. I rented a moving dolly with an 800 lb capacity from my local hardware store for $7/day. And we already had a medium sized utility trailer. The drive was only about 15 minutes. Getting it home was easy, but getting it inside is always the bear of the job.

As far as the combo, mine is electronic and the combo was changed right away. I don't know about a traditional dial though.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by sabbatoy
    <snip>... Looking for a recommendation in the $500 range...
    I recommend you save up and buy a better safe. Something that isn't 14 gauge sheet metal.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by sabbatoy
    I know there will be some good deals coming up for gun safes from Gander, Cabelas, Dunhams and others. Looking for a recommendation in the $500 range...
    I was looking at $1000-$1200 safes until I watched a few video on just how fast a thief can get into one.
    A real gun safe probable cost much more than that.
    Last edited by mcgee10; 01-07-2014 at 04:53 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgee10
    My suggestion is to check with your insurance company first. Mine said the people that have gun safes have much more damage to there home's in a robbery.
    My home owner insurance was going to go up $400.00 a year for a gun safe and all most all gun safes can be opened by a thief in less than 10 minutes and the real fire rating are a joke. The very best safe's will only keep your guns from fire damage for 18 minutes ask at any firehouse.

I would probably look for a new insurance company. It sounds like you are saying its better to put your firearms in a closet or under the bed vs. a safe. That seems like much more of a liability than having a good safe.

As far as theft goes, I am sure there are lots of professionals that can open a safe in less than 10 minutes, however, I dont think the average theif is going to have that skill, and I doubt the professional safe cracker will be visiting my home.

As far as fire, Id rather have my guns in a safe than a closet, I am not a firefighter but I would assume a gun in direct fire will not be as nice as a gun in a safe at the end of the day.

I have a gun safe, I have not told my insurance company as I dont think it is there business. I feel more comfortable that all but 1 of my firearms are in the safe when not being used rather than being spread out throughout the house.

Just my opinion.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgee10
    My suggestion is to check with your insurance company first. Mine said the people that have gun safes have much more damage to there home's in a robbery.
    My home owner insurance was going to go up $400.00 a year for a gun safe and all most all gun safes can be opened by a thief in less than 10 minutes and the real fire rating are a joke. The very best safe's will only keep your guns from fire damage for 18 minutes ask at any firehouse.
    No offense, but I call BS. I get a discount from my insurance company for keeping insured valuables I keep at home in a safe (jewelry, firearms, etc.). It significantly decreased the cost of the rider on my homeowners insurance for those items.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast