Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    "i know this has been beat in to all of us but i was just cleaning my H&K USP40C and cleared the gun after taking the mag out. i don't normally carry this one so when a shell didn't extract i thought it was empty. never bothered to look. pointed it away from me and pulled the trigger"

sorry but he was reckless and stupid. This does nothing to make me think the mantra "always loaded" is any more justified.

What it does make me think is that there are A LOT of careless folks with firearms out there.

I am a Forum User
    Also insert the "He's an LEO" quip.

Quote Originally Posted by DTruck
    Also insert the "He's an LEO" quip.

Couldnt be...I heard they go through some kind of special training to make sure they can operate one of those things. /purple font

I am a Forum User
    I am glad you did not have to learn the HARD way!! It is these kind of reminders that reinforce the safe handling of my guns at anytime!!
    Thank You for sharing!!!

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by il Padrino
    My rule of safety is to assume all/any guns are loaded.
    That forces me to check and unload ( even if I know it's not loaded) everytime I pick one up for cleaning or just handling.

This is the only rule as far as I am concerned. Experience has taught me that it is correct and it has proven to be lifesaving.
    Incident 1) I was a a gunsmith's shop and during examination of the gun I wanted worked on I was handed a pistol with a round in the chamber.

Incident 2) A LEO friend stopped by to see me and I asked to see his Glock since I had never handled one before (this was a few years ago). He handed me his pistol and when I went to safety check it, it had a round in the chamber.

In addition to those incidents I have been at two gun shows where shots were fired from weapons being examined for sale. At one show the round entered the ceiling, at the other show the round entered someone's thigh.

Both were some years ago but I still am wary at gun shows when people are sweeping barrels around as if they are toys. I always assume a gun is loaded unless the bolt or cylinder is open and I have checked it. I do not trust anyone else to check it. That may sound crazy but it is up to me to protect me.

Quote Originally Posted by whipsnade
    This is the only rule as far as I am concerned. Experience has taught me that it is correct and it has proven to be lifesaving.
    Incident 1) I was a a gunsmith's shop and during examination of the gun I wanted worked on I was handed a pistol with a round in the chamber.

Incident 2) A LEO friend stopped by to see me and I asked to see his Glock since I had never handled one before (this was a few years ago). He handed me his pistol and when I went to safety check it, it had a round in the chamber.

In addition to those incidents I have been at two gun shows where shots were fired from weapons being examined for sale. At one show the round entered the ceiling, at the other show the round entered someone's thigh.

Both were some years ago but I still am wary at gun shows when people are sweeping barrels around as if they are toys. I always assume a gun is loaded unless the bolt or cylinder is open and I have checked it. I do not trust anyone else to check it. That may sound crazy but it is up to me to protect me.
    Sounds like you hang with some dangerous folks!
    Always have the slide locked back when you hand someone a pistol, whats wrong with people! Same goes for rifles... open bolt, or locked open on a semi auto.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG
    Sounds like you hang with some dangerous folks!
    I guess my point is that even with experienced folk (old time gunsmith, LEO)
    you still have to rely on yourself. See the post about "what a .45 in the hand" looks like.

Check and double check, no matter who you are dealing with. I even check up on myself even though I am certain it is not loaded. It only takes a second and costs nothing.

Dusted off this post...
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

MGO Member
    In the process of doing annual check and lube on mine. Only take a 3 or 4 at a time and pop the mag and check handguns and open bolts on the rifles while at the safe.

I am a Forum User
    definitely a good reminder to everyone. Thanks for dusting it off!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast