Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by wsr
    crap class
    Since this class was a defensive handgun class and not a CPL class the misquoted laws were a little off putting. However, there were several other factors contributing to my disappointing experience.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by cedartop
    That could be an NRA thing. Way back when I got my CPL (the new model), my instructors said the same thing.

No where in the NRA instructors Lesson Plans or on the Power Point presentation does the NRA say anything about what is brandishing.

The Lesson Plan on III-5 says (there is a list of 12 things):

"E: Use Of Deadly Force:
    Discuss the legal definition, theory and laws pertaining to:
    1 -Use of Reasonable Force
    then if you skip down to the 11th item in the list it says:
    11 - Brandishing"

No definition by the NRA at all

The legal speaker would be the one to supply the legal definition, theory and law

If that instructor said it, it was their definition / idea / lie

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsr
    What did they say about OC? brandishing? etc
    He didn't make much mention of OC, other than the fact that CPL holders are able to OC in PFZ's due to a technicality.

As far as brandishing goes, my class notes that I recorded were only not to take the gun out of holster in public unless you intend to use it.

I don't know why everyone is bashing the class, much of the material we covered regarding the laws were directly quoted from state and federal laws..

Of course, there was a fair amount of Brian's own personal beliefs sprinkled in with all of it. But I never took it as misinformation. He's a very animated person and made the otherwise dry subject matter bearable.
    Last edited by Ra's al Ghul; 03-02-2014 at 11:36 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra's al Ghul
    He didn't make much mention of OC, other than the fact that CPL holders are able to OC in PFZ's due to a technicality.

As far as brandishing goes, my class notes that I recorded were only not to take the gun out of holster in public unless you intend to use it.

I don't know why everyone is bashing the class, much of the material we covered regarding the laws were directly quoted from state and federal laws..

Of course, there was a fair amount of Brian's own personal beliefs sprinkled in with all of it. But I never took it as misinformation. He's a very animated person and made the otherwise dry subject matter bearable.
    OC in a PFZ is not a technicality

people are bashing the class because they have given wrong info

What were some of the tough questions you asked and their answers?

MGO Member
    Further interpretation of the laws, their limits, etc. They did their best to answer them and if they couldn't answer them they pointed me to resources where I could find the answer myself, which they weren't obligated to do.

MGO Member
    I recently audited the class where my wife and five other relatives were first timers. I would recommend it as a great FIRST step to anyone wanting to get involved with firearms. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Brian is awesome.
    If at first you don't succeed, don't skydive.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johntncm View Post
    Brian Turo taught the first cpl class I ever took in 1993 at theTarget Sports on Woodward. He taught me many things about shooting that helped me out a lot. He was a great teacher.
    I'm a bit lost here, so help me out. What class was that? I never heard of a cpl class until the 2001 law took effect. It wasn't called a cpl in 93.
    I got my first permit to CCW in 1977 and never had to take any class til 2001.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Starvin48 View Post
    I recently audited the class where my wife and five other relatives were first timers. I would recommend it as a great FIRST step to anyone wanting to get involved with firearms. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Brian is awesome.
    First timers should be taught correct info but...thanks Brian's friend

Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    I'm a bit lost here, so help me out. What class was that? I never heard of a cpl class until the 2001 law took effect. It wasn't called a cpl in 93.
    I got my first permit to CCW in 1977 and never had to take any class til 2001.
    It was a ccw class. The class was needed to obtain a permit to carry at the time.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    First timers should be taught correct info but...thanks Brian's friend
    NOT Brian's friend, and not interested in getting involved in a debate online. I met him once, and it was on the day of the class.
    If at first you don't succeed, don't skydive.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast